broke black glass...ANY chance at free replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by btownguy, Nov 22, 2010.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

So I had my bumper-ed iPhone 4 in my lap and forgot about it. I stood up and it fell, landed flat like a pancake on the wooden floor, face-up. About a 3-foot drop. Picked it up and the back had shattered. I can pick up an OEM back and replace it easy enough (thank goodness it wasn't the front). But, I have an Apple store very close to me. Is there any chance whatsoever that they would replace it free if I took it in? Is it kind of up to the mood of the rep or is it unheard of to get a free replacement?

2. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Probably not for free, but the Apple store will replace the broken back glass for $29.

3. synagence macrumors 6502a

Is there ANY chance? Yes there is...

Best way to approach is be honest, humble and tell the story of what happened and be genuine about it and ask them how it can get fixed

You might find that a little bit of humble pie and a nice person will get it fixed .... just don't go in with an attitude of expectation or entitlement

4. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Waitin' for iPhone 5.... That's just too scary. I thought the idea behind the back Space-Shuttle-Tile-Tough-Glass(tm) was that it was... tough?

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Space Shuttle glass on a phone??? LOL, gimme a break! :rolleyes:

6. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Exactly. It is only $29 to replace the back glass. You are lucky it's not the front glass. ;)

7. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I don't know about you or others, but humble-nice-and-modest has never worked for me at a genius bar, whereas attitude-arrogant-bitch has.

8. Phayz macrumors member

Just wondering - anyone know how much it costs to fix the front glass?

9. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

$199, I believe.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I've read lots of speculation that only the front glass was aluminosilicate based, and that the back (which seems to scratch easier) was a less expensive type.

11. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Sadly enough, "attitude-arrogant-bitch" will get you more results than "humble-nice-and-modest" in most situations.

12. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

I highly doubt they'd replace it for free (although I have never tried). I mean... you dropped and broke it.

13. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

It worked for me. I had mine in a case. It was dropped from about knee level and shattered. Apple replaced it for free.

14. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

15. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

Cool. Thanks and good to know (not that I plan on dropping my iPhone soon).

16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

You've made a very smart decision. I can't wait to replace my iPhone 4. There's no way the next iPhone will be as bad as this one. And this is the fourth replacement after a genius at the Apple store confirmed the first three were defective. As a long time Mac user, I know Apple can do much better than this thing.

17. kuctonkucton201 macrumors member

Yup, apple is very nice for sure.

18. FirePak macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

IMO it should be able to survive a 3 foot drop. I would bet if your honest about it they would do it for free.

19. sirslaysalot macrumors member

the back panel uses regular tempered glass.

20. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

I left the parking brake off when I parked my car on a hill. And, stupidly, I also left the car in neutral. When I got out, the car rolled down the hill and smashed into a telephone pole.

Do you think Ford will repair my car for free?

Mark

21. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

22. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Even if Ford does it for free, how much would the city or telecom charge you for the poll? ;)

23. designresults macrumors member

I own an iPad 3G, which my daughter accidentally dropped and dented in the corner, which made all the buttons not work. I took it into the Apple store, explained what had happened, and the Apple Genius replaced it at no charge. My point is, usually they're pretty understanding, so it's worth a try to explain nicely what happened and see what their response is.

24. mikemj23, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010

mikemj23 macrumors 6502

Mark, I'm sorry but I cannot stand this attempt at an analogy. Big difference between a $20k vehicle (not sure what a Ford costs these days) and an iPhone. It's just not apples to apples (no pun meant).

Either way OP, take your phone to the store as suggested by others and tell them what happened.

I dropped mine a little while back and had a crack diagonally across the length of my front screen and they did a one-time replacement for free. Excellent customer service.

25. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Good to know that Apple will replace the back glass for $29, thought it was $199 if either panel broke.