Broke my babied 1 gen iPhone. Fix or buy new?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by California, Nov 30, 2010.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

First I'm a girl. Bought the iPHone in Sept. 07. Always in a case, dropped probably seven times in whole lifespan. Until yesterday. Dropped it twice at the gym.

So the lower portion of the screen, where the dock is, no longer is responding. So I can't end calls, or check voice mail or do normal things in other modes. The camera is also shot, all green.

Local repair quoted me 120 to replace LCD screen, which he says is the problem.

Do I fix it or buy new 4th gen? I really love my iPhone, have new cases for it, etc., the battery is great...

I also am not looking forward to the new data plan ATT will charge me.

Remember old 1st Gen iPhones have those cheaper data plans.

What do you guys recommend? I could get an upgrade from AT&T for a new phone but don't know what to do. I obviously don't use it like a pro, light web browsing, some texting, ipod and calls that's about it.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iPhone 4 is way faster. You'll enjoy it. The new data plan is only $5 more (2GB) for 3G isn't it? Or maybe $10 more for your grandfathered data plan.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. BenHoleton macrumors regular

no question

Upgrade. The difference will be night and day better

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

A girl on the internet? That's weird.... Anyway, as others have said, upgrading to the 4 will blow you away from the 2G, but that said, I had to use mine for a couple weeks between 4s (long story) and I loved it. The design is great, and the phone is solid. If you can upgrade and fix the 2G for backup, do it. If not...it's really up to you. You'll have a $10 hike in data, but you'll love the phone.

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

For $120 you could get a used 3G off Craig's List. But personally I'd upgrade to the iPhone 4.

7. theiphone4 macrumors newbie

iPhone 4

i once had the 3g before selling it to get the 4, now i can't stand it when I have to borrow my brother's 3g

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Upgrade. The difference between the first gen and the iPhone 4 is huge. But in addition to going from $20 to $30 on the unlimited plan, you also lose the bundled texting. Another $5 for 200 msgs. Look over your data usage on AT&T's site; from what you're saying, you might be a good candidate for the 200 MB data plan and that's only $15.

I use mine pretty lightly too, and it was still well worth the money to switch this year for both my husband and I.

9. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Hey thanks everyone...

I did get the new iPhone 4. It is like a shiny sci fi gadget next to my now low tech looking original iPhone.

Almost scared of it.

10. lapocompris macrumors regular

Congrats on your new phone. Buy a serious protective case if you are going to drop it often. Look into the iPhone accessories forum for ideas.

11. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Now don't drop it. Buying an otterbox for it would be best.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The different between a 2G and a 4 is completely out of this world. It's amazing how far the iphone has come if you compare it to the original. Surprised you stuck with yours for as long as you did!

13. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

I admit I really did not utilize even the original iPhone for all its capabilities!

Really just once in a while texting, web surfing, camera use, email and ipod.

All this said, my new iPhone 4 looks like it has a bum battery. Lost its charge from last night...

!!!

(The battery in my original iPhone was original and still held almost full charge!)

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The battery loss may have been from the email syncing. That's what happened to me the first time I set my new phone up. It went away after it synced up completely. It also helps if you set the iphone up as new and not from a backup either. If either of those don't work after a restore, you probably had bad luck with the battery. :eek:

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The i4 has a better and longer battery life than the original iphone and all other previous models.
    If yours is acting up you should look into getting it replaced.