Broke my iPhone from the rear side

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dethmaShine, Apr 17, 2012.

1. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

Threat title says it all.

Just dropped it on the street. Broke the back; it shattered into pieces.

Would Apple replace it? I do have Apple care btw.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

They charge like 30 bucks at the genius bar or you can get a knock off from ebay.

3. joshaarons macrumors newbie

joshaarons

Its actually $20 at genius bar. Happened to me when i first got my iphone 4

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Not sure where you got it fixed but Apple does charge $29.00 for the back replacement.

OP: Applecare or not, Applecare only extends the coverage of hardware defects and battery for 2 years, not physical damage done to the phone. I.E: broken glass and/or water damage done by the user. They can replace it but will charge you $29.00

5. socbrian macrumors regular

I found a back on amazon with the tools for $10

6. dethmaShine thread starter macrumors 68000

I will happily pay $29. It was my mistake and $29 is a very small price but I'm in the UK.

US is much more relaxed as I understand.

Any UK specific experiences or comments?

7. wademvp91 macrumors member

Do you have just Applecare or AppleCare+. Because from my understanding, if you have + then it's free to do as it covers all incidents.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Just call your local Apple store and see what they can do.

9. dethmaShine thread starter macrumors 68000

There's no AppleCare+ in the UK.

Thanks Shadow, I intend to do that tomorrow morning.

10. wademvp91 macrumors member

Oh wow, I didn't know that. But definitely get one online then or contact Apple, they have amazing customer service.

11. dethmaShine thread starter macrumors 68000

A fees of approx £125 for repairs. So much for Gorilla Glass.

12. dethmaShine thread starter macrumors 68000

So apparently, its £149 for repairs.

I do believe this is a mistake on my part, but I hold Apple responsible for such a poorly designed back and trying to market it as harder than plastic material.

It's disgraceful and honestly, the guy at customer service was adamant I'd pay the ridiculous price.

Such poor customer service and such a poorly designed back.

Thanks so much Apple. Was a big fan of the iPhone but will never buy one.

Regards

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You lack a understanding/knowledge of what Gorilla glass is designed to do. It is supposed to be very hard to resist scratches. The laws of physics dictate that if you make it very hard and resistant to scratches, it will then be brittle and shatter more easily.

If they made the glass soft like plastic, it would not shatter when dropped but dent and scratch.

This is how things work!:p

14. PaulyD macrumors 6502

PaulyD

Sounds like they are quoting for a complete replacement phone.

Apple will just replace the back cover for you for something like £30, I remember when I went to the Reading store they said it would be something like that for just the back. Annoyingly I had smashed the front screen so was £139 for a complete 4S replacement

15. dethmaShine thread starter macrumors 68000

And? Tell me more about it?

At least I didn't have to pay such a ridiculous amount to get those scratched/damaged backs repaired in other phones. E.g. my previous Nexus S and Mozart 7.

Now lets not get defensive. When **** happens to you and get a ****ard senior advisor telling you to spend 1/3rd of your original purchase cost for such a trivial repair, you'd yourself be wondering - why the **** did I buy this iPhone.

But never mind. I will wait for you to reach that situation and then be defensive.

----------

I'll be going to the store in the evening. If they charge me anymore than £29, I'm writing to Apple and going to get the repair done myself.

Thank you guys for your help.

16. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yea I would ask them if it's going to go for that much if not, just walk out, you can always use third party for a cheaper price and do it yourself.

First I would argue with them that it is just the back glass that needs to be replaced and that it shouldn't cost more £29 for a back panel replacement. Good luck.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You ask US not to get "defensive" and the rest of your paragraph is a censored mess. Classic.

Glass or no glass, phones break all the time. But if it was truly a poor design, you'd see breakage rates a lot higher than they are.

That said, I had a row of bad luck the last couple of weeks I owned my iPhone 4, and it fell a few times from my pocket onto concrete and asphalt, striking both front and back on different occasions. Guess what? There were a few slight chips along the glass edge, but it didn't break.

I won't get defensive if it ever happens. I know I'm a klutz, and am actually quite impressed with how every iPhone I've owned has stood up to the accidental abuse I've given them all. And if ever I break something, I will own up to it, and won't blame Apple, but myself.

Good luck with whatever non-glass phone you end up getting in the future.

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

19. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Rest assured the rates from broken, damaged and chipped glass on iPhones is incredibly high.

About a month ago, City TV news in Toronto reported from polls conducted that almost 50% of iPhone owners have or have experienced breaking the glass on their iPhones. Google it to find more details on the poll.

The iPhone is aesthetically beautiful. But don't fool yourself and say it's build quality is suitable for day to day real life use. It isn't. Sure you can spend more money and buy a case, probably wise for every iPhone owner to do that because accidents can happen to anyone.

It could have and should have been better designed, at least no glass back, so people could enjoy their phone out of the box without the fear of dropping it day one and it breaking beyond being usable.

It's common sense, nothing to defend here. I'm one of the biggest Apple fans out there, but don't drink so much cool aid that you're drunk and can't ascertain the phones ability to withstand the rigors of daily use just isn't there if you use it naked.

It's called a major design flaw.

20. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I hope you go into the Apple store with that attitude! That will pretty well clinch it! LOL! You need to get over yourself!:p

----------

YOU DROPPED IT!

Take responsibility for yourself!:p

21. Ryno76 macrumors member

easy repair

the back glass is the easiest part to repair on the phone....if they want to charge you a ton of money, just go on ebay or amazon and buy a new one and do it yourself. there are a bunch of videos on the web that'll show you how to replace it. very easy! take out the screws, slide the glass down and it comes off.

22. dethmaShine thread starter macrumors 68000

What if by mistake someday you yourself drop into an open sewer. Would it be your mistake to have not seen the opening or the mistake of the local civil body to ensure that it was closed or had visible signs?

Lets see.

23. scaredpoet, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's funny, because Squaretrade reports a 1-year accidental failure rate on the iPhone at 9.4%, and that includes all accidental damage, not just glass breakage. Considering their sampling pool are people who have purchased warranties and have an incentive to make a claim for damage because they've already paid into a protection plan, I doubt the data would be biased in favor of low incident numbers. If anything, I would expect there to be a bit of nitpicking, fraud and deliberate damage peppered in those figures, inflating the number a bit.

Granted, that's 2.7% higher than comparable Android phones, but that's still a far cry from 50%.

Honestly, I doubt people would be buying iPhones for very long if you had a 50-50% chance of breaking the glass.

Anyway, I did a Google search as you suggested. No dice on that 50% story.

Hmm, I've been using a 4 and later, a 4S day to day, without a cover, since iPhone 4 launch day. Both have stood up just fine.

I guess if using my device without any protection, dropping it a few times and not suffering any shattering or appreciable damage is "drinking kool-aid," guilty as charged.

If you believe it's flawed, maybe you shouldn't use it.

24. benaq macrumors newbie

That's a really poor example you have there. Nonresponse bias is always a huge problem with voluntary polls like those. People who actually broke their iPhones are the ones with strong opinions that make them answer those polls.

25. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

So much right with this post.

I've had various iphone 4 and 4s' for different reasons, but none of which was not being able to be suitable for day to day life.

With that being said, accidents do happen