broken hinges, dodgy battery and a drink spilled on the keyboard, original air.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by LeeM, Aug 27, 2012.

1. LeeM macrumors 6502a

right, just been to look at my friends original macbook air. last year it got a drink spilled over the keyboard and the keyboard hasnt been working since. he's just used an apple bt keyboard since but since then its stopped working completely.

ive took the battery out and plugged a charger in and it powered up no problem. the only thing which appears to be affected is the keyboard, only half the keys work so im thinking the sugar in the drink is probably crystalised between the terminals so im just going to wash the keyboard.

now does a drink spillage seem like something which could ruin the battery, or is it more likely to be the logic board?

im trying to get it working properly so we can take it to get the hinges fixed by apple (hopefully free) is this something they still do?

2. stchman macrumors 6502a

Spilling a drink on a laptop keyboard usually does irreparable damage. Lucky the thing still works.

3. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

Only for someone who doesn't want to replace the logic board/ keyboard, or anything else that may have been damaged.

At this point it will probably cost more than the computer is worth honestly. But if you really want to you could start replacing the internals until it starts working again!

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, really. It usually shorts the logic board, which necessitates replacement. At this point, it is 4.5 years old. The best best it is to replace it, since it will cost a lot more than it is worth to fix it. Even a 2010 refurbished model (which is available in the Apple online store for $769) will run circles around it.

6. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Agreed - likely not worth spending any time on.

7. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

i know i was being sarcastic.
    i was thinking at most it needs a new battery keyboard and hinge. thats why im trying to find out if water damage could short the battery out as it works fine with no battery attached.
    ive read reports of people getting free repairs, refunds, refurbs and all sorts from apple for the broken hinges. apple acknowledge the fault but dont state which parameters the machine needs to fit into to be repaired/replaced, and obviously i need to get it into a working state before i can take it in to find out and i could potentially do that for less than £200

8. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

But even if you spent all that time and money and managed to get Apple to fix the hinges for free, its STILL a Rev A Air - old and slow.

9. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

well he hasnt got over £700 to drop on a new laptop. it seems to run fast enough

----------

and ive also took it completely apart and put it back together in less than an hour today so its not exactly much time. I've read of people getting 2010/11 refurbs in replacement, if they did that it would be worth it.

10. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Not impossible, but highly unlikely. Best of luck - I truly hope if works out...

11. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

back to the point. would it be possible that this caused damage to the battery? logic board looks fine no corrosion.

12. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I would guess no, but it's not impossible. It's much more likely that the liquid would have gummed up the keyboard and / or shorted the logic board (or other electronics).

13. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

it works fine (apart from half the keyboard) with no battery plugged in and on ac power

14. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Try picking up a new keyboard from eBay, if it doesn't work, return it (providing the seller would agree to that)

15. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

im going to wash the keyboard first lol! its already broken so worth a try. if that doesnt work im gonna buy from someone who accepts returns yeah

16. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Don't use soap. Use 1/3 rubbing alcohol mixed with 2/3 distilled water

17. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

i was just going to use a bath of pure distilled water but the alcohol is a good shout.

18. asting macrumors 6502

Isopropyl alcohol is always good too.

19. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

It can be too abrasive, so you should mix it up with water.

LeeM, just don't use disk soap. It leaves a residue and doesnt work out well. Trust me. It must be distilled water at least, add alcohol as you see fit. Distilled water doesn't have any minerals so it evaporates completely, and alcohol evaporates without a residue.

20. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers guys.
    Any more suggestions regarding battery?

21. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

Why don't you just try taking it in to get the hinge repaired as it is? The worst they can do is just say no. The broken hinge isn't really related to the keyboard and battery.

I'm also going to try to take my Rev. A MacBook Air in soon for hinge repair. It's got dents on the back corners of the upper lid, but hopefully they'll still repair the hinges for free. I've read of them replacing the entire top half of the computer, screen included, but I've never heard of them giving out a newer model refurb.

22. asting macrumors 6502

For sure. I didn't mean to imply using it at full strength.

23. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

24. LeeM thread starter macrumors 6502a

its the plastic part essential? dont mind how it looks as long as it works