Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elliotay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
A sad sad thing has occured. I have accidentaly dropped my iBook while it was open. In the process of doing so I managed to break the hinge. So now when I open the iBook the part where it says iBook is loose and you can see inside the screen. I've opened it up and managed to find two breaks in the aluminum piece that runs the length of the base of the lcd screen. As I was attempting to fix it w/ J-Bweld I found a website....http://www.wegenermedia.com and they seem to have a piece called the replacement screen hinge. So i quickly undid the J-Bweld and took the screws out so as to possibly save from having to undo solidified welding. I don't know if this is indeed the right piece I need to fix my problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of how to go about fixing it in a managable way? I can't post pictures right now, but if there's enough response and ppl want to see what happens when you drop an iBook I'll post them later. Thanks to anyone who can help.

elliotay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
Selling iBook for parts

oh, to clarify....this is a dual USB 500 mHz iBook. Also....if anyone has an iBook that's completely toasted and they're selling for parts. I'd be very interested in purchasing this piece...if it's still intact. Thanks.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
Fortunately I have not had this happen to me, but it did happen to a friend. He has not done anything about it yet. I will give you a yell when he bothers to get his fixed and see what had to happen, how much it cost etc.

Very interesting though that they both broke in exactly the same place.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
actually i was just noticing something just like that on my iBook the past few days. It doesnt seem to be broken in any way and its not harming anything so whatever i guess.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
AppleCare doesn't cover that sort of stuff?!:eek: oh well, that's what i've got insurance for.;) :D :D

and yes!! i want to see pictures!:D

Spock- you are wise and knowledgeable in the ways of iBook repairs. i was going to say pbparts.com as well.:) they've got just about everything you'd ever need.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Originally posted by cb911

Spock- you are wise and knowledgeable in the ways of iBook repairs. i was going to say pbparts.com as well.:) they've got just about everything you'd ever need.

Thank You, did you know the original iBook was bullet proof??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.