broken iphone 5s insurance...file now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FiveZeroFour, Oct 9, 2013.

1. FiveZeroFour macrumors newbie

I usually post on a family members account here but my brother says he doesn't want to be known as the idiot that broke their iphone 5s so i made my own account. We have 3 5s's (or is it 5s') in the family, 2 were upgraded from 4S's and 1 from a 5 and each line has insurance. My black 5s is already waterlogged because my soon to be ex pushed me in a pool not realizing i had my clutch purse under my arm. I know, my own fault, his fault etc. I get it lets move past that please. I have the 5s here it works to varying degrees on different days if at all.

My concern is how i should approach it, we havent had any insurance replacements in at least 3 years so i know there is no issue there and there should be no issue otherwise since it wasnt stolen and i have the broken one to send to them. I have AT&T & their insurance but i believe its the same company for all carriers now anyway. My worry is that if i file a insurance claim now while there is low stock they may replace it with a different phone or model....does anyone have any experience in what they would do or in having a phone replaced when its THIS near to the launch. Do i need to call them and ask for the special idiots desk of the special idiot center.....i won't make fun of anyone for being an idiot with their phone anymore, i guess it really does happen to everyone eventually. Any help/insight/pointers is appreciated.

I did talk to a local ATT girl and she told me i have x number of days to file the claim, so i know i can wait a couple weeks, i am just looking for input on what the best route is. should i file it now, wait a couple weeks and file within the time frame or the route i really dont want to take is needing to wait even longer & lie about when it broke....errr expired....was murdered. Thanks in advance everyone!

2. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

Don't get your issue, really. Why not now, because of supply?

Don't know about AT&T but I had to exchange my 5s through Apple and now I am getting a replacement within 4 days. Priority replacement with express shipping, scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Doesn't your friend have a 3rd party liability insurance?

3. boobie12 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure they'll give you the same phone. I don't think they can give you a different phone? Rather file it now? But how much is the deductible? Because if it's anything close to apple replacement, you should go to apple. They always keep extra stock in back for p who have problems with there phones.

4. trek360 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear about the phone.

What color and gb are you looking for?

5. sucka free macrumors member

I can't get past the part where you said you got pushed in the pool by your bf and you haven't dumped him yet !

6. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I don't think they would be able to reduce your storage capacity as they wouldn't have paid out the value of the phone (it can't have lost $100 in a matter of weeks to go down a size.) What colour iPhone 5s do you have? If Space Grey, I would just claim now. If another colour, you will need to look carefully at the documents to see how long after the indident you can submit a claim. In this case, I would try speaking to the company to say that you would rather wait longer for the claim to be settled so that you can get an exact match for your handset.

7. FiveZeroFour thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i know it was a long post so its partly my fault but if you don't get it i have to think you didnt read it :rolleyes: I mentioned AppleCare+ and Warranties nowhere is what i am getting at, i know many use these terms like they are interchangeable but its us to us geeks to always speak Verbatim right :D I am speaking of 3rd party insurance through ATT (fulfilled through whoever the insurance company is...assurion i think) as i do not have apple care and warranty replacement is hard for a fried waterlogged phone....i might be able to push it but i have no interest in unfairly shoving the burden onto apple here
    so my issue is that Insurance plans reserve the right to replace your phone with the same model **or another comparable model as determined by the Guarantor** so they can replace it with whatever smart phone they want basically. It used to be extremely common before smart phones were the majority they would replace handset with whatever they had it was terrible....they have gotten better but issues arent exactly rare. Iphones tend to be fairly immune to the issue my worry was that stock being constrained I would be tempting them to fall back on their right to give me a Huaweii Galaxy S 2003 Epic 2G Resistive Touch and while its the fastest phone to 50 letters its just doesnt look well with my current nail polish :p

Thanks, me too! The one i have is a black 64gb.....i've been told normally in the past they give you the opposite color of what you had....obviously there is no opposite with 3 colors now so they might just rotate or something i dont know but i doubt it applies with the supply issues they wont have that luxury, ill get what they get and they'll get whatever they can.

It's a feature ;)

No they'd give me the same storage level as long as it was an iphone if they had to go outside they'd just go with another "Comparable flagship handset". Yea i think i am going to find a way to reach out to them in a anonymous fashion, i just didnt want to say anything on a recorded call that i couldnt take back. thnks