broken iPhone 6+ screen

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
So I did it... Broke the screen on my plus. Never have broken a screen before and I have owned every single iPhone. Luckily I have applecare+, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to take a plus in under warranty yet? Will they even have stock for replacements or am I sol for the time being? luckily the break is on the bottom corner and not really not he screen but enough to bother me. Highly doubt they are doing in house screen replacements yet.

I even had the zagg glass screen but it doesn't cover the rounded glass edge.

Attachments

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
Just curious how did it get broke? That is really a big fat bummer. Hope you can get it fixed asap

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
Just curious how did it get broke? That is really a big fat bummer. Hope you can get it fixed asap
I don't really recall. I just noticed it. I really think it must have just been set down wrong. There is no damage to the bezel, just the glass shattered. I attached a pic.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Other have posted that there is no screen replacements yet, so you are going to get a replacement phone
You also have to pay the deductible .

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I just took in my plus a couple of days ago for a faulty battery and I received a replacement although there were none in stock at that store. They have a separate stock for replacements so you should be able to get it replaced with no issues.

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
Other have posted that there is no screen replacements yet, so you are going to get a replacement phone
You also have to pay the deductible .
Yes I know I will have to pay the deductible, just wondering if they will have stock for replacements.

I just took in my plus a couple of days ago for a faulty battery and I received a replacement although there were none in stock at that store. They have a separate stock for replacements so you should be able to get it replaced with no issues.
Awesome, thats what I was hoping

How can you survive with only one more replacement left for the next two years?
I have never been a case guy but I may go for one now with the rounded edges on this phone and already having to burn a replacement.

Ashtar

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2014
Hell, that looks separated from the frame! How could you not know what caused that? You just noticed it? Wow. I can't believe these screens are that fragile versus old iPhones. :confused:

poorcody

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2013
I even had the zagg glass screen but it doesn't cover the rounded glass edge.
Sorry to hear mate... know how you feel, I broke my 5s screen a few weeks ago.

Out of curiosity, did the Zagg glass screen protector break at all? I wonder if it took the brunt of something or you just got really unlucky with the positioning.

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
Sorry to hear mate... know how you feel, I broke my 5s screen a few weeks ago.

Out of curiosity, did the Zagg glass screen protector break at all? I wonder if it took the brunt of something or you just got really unlucky with the positioning.
Nope, it was fine. It doesn't come close to reaching the edge. Almost no point for having it

caesarp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
This is Why I have my plus naked. Cases and covers are a waste of $$. Add bulk and look bad.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Nope, it was fine. It doesn't come close to reaching the edge. Almost no point for having it
I wonder whether it's possible that the Zagg glass actually made it easier for the break to happen -- perhaps by exposing the uncovered parts to more force that normally would be evenly distributed across the screen.

It just seems really strange that the glass would crack without being dropped and landing near that corner.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
I don't really recall. I just noticed it. I really think it must have just been set down wrong. There is no damage to the bezel, just the glass shattered. I attached a pic.
On a side note: "Set down wrong"? It looks like the display is detached on the right side.

Or am I the only one seeing this?

Last edited:

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Covers, yes.

Cases, I beg to differ.
Agreed... I have a Ballistic slim that gives me drop protection on all 4 corners and front/back.

The phone won't land directly on the screen but I do have it protected anyway with Ghost Armor.

$35 for the case $25 for the screen... Phone is about 3/16 in thicker with a whole lot better chance of screen survival should it fall onto a hard surface like the concrete floors at work.

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
Idk how y'all use the 6+ naked, it's like handling a bar of soap. $14.99 insignia clear case and a zagg screen protector and I've already survived a face down fall on the ground scratch free.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I normally get the glass screen protector but for this model I see it as useless. It doent reach the edges so like you if it drops the screen protector does nothing unless it falls flat on it's face which is unlikely. I'll just get Apple care.

MacTechnics

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
Actually - for a case like mine with a lip over the front, the screen protector is great cause its "case friendly" for that reason. AppleCare is a must tho

jamezr

macrumors G5
Aug 7, 2011
US
On a side note: "Set down wrong"? It looks like the display is detached on the right side.

Or am I the only one seeing this?
I was wondering the same thing...... I have had a ton of phones and have never had a screen break from setting it down wrong.........

@jonfarr was it in your front pocket when it broke?

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
It's a reflection. Note that you can see the crack go through where it looks like it lifted
I don't think so. It definitely looks like it lifted to me. The crack may go through, but if you look more towards the bottom right corner, you can actually see that it is lifting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.