broken iPhone 6+ screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jonfarr, Oct 5, 2014.

1. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

So I did it... Broke the screen on my plus. Never have broken a screen before and I have owned every single iPhone. Luckily I have applecare+, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to take a plus in under warranty yet? Will they even have stock for replacements or am I sol for the time being? luckily the break is on the bottom corner and not really not he screen but enough to bother me. Highly doubt they are doing in house screen replacements yet.

I even had the zagg glass screen but it doesn't cover the rounded glass edge.

Attached Files:

2. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

Just curious how did it get broke? That is really a big fat bummer. Hope you can get it fixed asap

3. jonfarr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

I don't really recall. I just noticed it. I really think it must have just been set down wrong. There is no damage to the bezel, just the glass shattered. I attached a pic.

4. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Other have posted that there is no screen replacements yet, so you are going to get a replacement phone
    You also have to pay the deductible .

5. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I just took in my plus a couple of days ago for a faulty battery and I received a replacement although there were none in stock at that store. They have a separate stock for replacements so you should be able to get it replaced with no issues.

6. 617aircav Suspended

How can you survive with only one more replacement left for the next two years?

7. jonfarr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Yes I know I will have to pay the deductible, just wondering if they will have stock for replacements.

Awesome, thats what I was hoping

I have never been a case guy but I may go for one now with the rounded edges on this phone and already having to burn a replacement.

8. sheldomacrumors macrumors member

Nothing worse than damaging a new iPhone! I feel your pain! (iPhone 5 - related experience)

9. Ashtar macrumors regular

Hell, that looks separated from the frame! How could you not know what caused that? You just noticed it? Wow. I can't believe these screens are that fragile versus old iPhones. :confused:

10. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Sorry to hear mate... know how you feel, I broke my 5s screen a few weeks ago.

Out of curiosity, did the Zagg glass screen protector break at all? I wonder if it took the brunt of something or you just got really unlucky with the positioning.

11. jonfarr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Nope, it was fine. It doesn't come close to reaching the edge. Almost no point for having it

12. caesarp macrumors 6502a

This is Why I have my plus naked. Cases and covers are a waste of $$. Add bulk and look bad.

13. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Covers, yes.

Cases, I beg to differ.

14. Zinthar macrumors 6502

I wonder whether it's possible that the Zagg glass actually made it easier for the break to happen -- perhaps by exposing the uncovered parts to more force that normally would be evenly distributed across the screen.

It just seems really strange that the glass would crack without being dropped and landing near that corner.

15. pullfocus, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014

pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

On a side note: "Set down wrong"? It looks like the display is detached on the right side.

Or am I the only one seeing this?

16. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Agreed... I have a Ballistic slim that gives me drop protection on all 4 corners and front/back.

The phone won't land directly on the screen but I do have it protected anyway with Ghost Armor.

$35 for the case $25 for the screen... Phone is about 3/16 in thicker with a whole lot better chance of screen survival should it fall onto a hard surface like the concrete floors at work.

17. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

Idk how y'all use the 6+ naked, it's like handling a bar of soap. $14.99 insignia clear case and a zagg screen protector and I've already survived a face down fall on the ground scratch free.

18. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

I normally get the glass screen protector but for this model I see it as useless. It doent reach the edges so like you if it drops the screen protector does nothing unless it falls flat on it's face which is unlikely. I'll just get Apple care.

19. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I think your seeing just a reflection.

20. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Hmmm...looks like a bit of a gap. Must be one hell of a reflection.

21. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

Actually - for a case like mine with a lip over the front, the screen protector is great cause its "case friendly" for that reason. AppleCare is a must tho

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's a reflection. Note that you can see the crack go through where it looks like it lifted

23. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I was wondering the same thing...... I have had a ton of phones and have never had a screen break from setting it down wrong.........

@jonfarr was it in your front pocket when it broke?

24. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I don't think so. It definitely looks like it lifted to me. The crack may go through, but if you look more towards the bottom right corner, you can actually see that it is lifting.