Broken LCD iTouch… any good ideas for what to do with it now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by telefunkal, Apr 15, 2010.

1. telefunkal macrumors newbie

So, firstly, a warning to all wannabe repairmen (like myself): there are so many things that can go wrong with fixing an iPod Touch! Be sooooo careful! :p

How I broke it

I fixed my broken glass screen (yay!) and broke my LCD popping the thing back into the frame by pushing just a little too hard. Yes, I'm an idiot. It has a 5p sized black gash in the bottom right of the device, which causes juddery lines across the whole of the bottom (roughly where it says "slide to unlock"). Still works, but it's far too distracting to be my main device now. I'll replace it.

Any ideas??

Does anyone have any ideas how I can utilise it now? I'd like to turn it into a portable hard drive, or something. The old iPods had disk mode… this doesn't seem to.

Thanks for your suggestions!

2. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

Fix it?

I had exactly the same thing happen with my iPhone last year, although I broke the LCD when I was taking it apart to replace the glass in the first place! However, I got back onto eBay and bought the replacement LCD and fitted that as well. Worked absolutely fine - although there are a lot of tiny screws to deal with (13?). Total cost of replacing screen and lcd was about £40 and a couple of hours in total.

Alternatively, there are plenty of places that will fix it for you...

TT

3. telefunkal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks tiptopp. I guess in the cold light of day, repairing it is still a better option than getting a new one. I found a quote for replacing it for 70 pounds… I could have another go myself but I think this once I'll pay for a professional!

4. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

I have to hand it Apple, the iPod Touch is fairly durable. I've dropped mine on cement, and dropped kicked it (accidentally) a few times. The top 2 corners show some very slight evidence of impact on the metal, but other than that it's perfect. No screen deformations, artifacts or technical malfunctions.

5. jwillgoesfast macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat, mine got run over by 2 tractor trailer rigs.

I took it apart and ordered the replacement parts, it still syncs with itunes so i thought i'd be good to go. I plugged in all the replacement parts but still get the white screen of death.

I was hoping this one would last me till the 4th gen came out in september...sad day.

6. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

7. bbydon macrumors 6502a

8. PCRanger macrumors regular