Broken Macbook - Turning Screen into an external monitor for MBP!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sean Dempsey, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

my 2006 macbook is dead and parted out.

I still have the case and screen, but no HD, RAM, battery, or working logic board.

How can I take the screen and make myself an external monitor out of it? I am presuming it's possible. I can solder a little and I love messing with parts from radio shack.

So, has anyone heard of this? I tried googling it but couldn't find any search terms that brought me what I wanted.

Basically, I want to convert the video cable to DVI or even better, Display Port, and then figure out how to solder in a power source to just plug into a wall (since I'm assuming it'd be too big of a job to have it powered off of the FW800 or USB from the macbook pro).

Is this possible? Since the computer is dead and gone, it won't hurt to experiment. Anyone have any links or guides to this?

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You would have to get some pretty insane soldering skills (the traces are tiny) and a good pinout from the display's custom output and assemble that into a VGA connection. If you've got some mad soldering skills, it would work.