Broken MPB 2010... is now the time to go in for warranty work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theaero, Feb 24, 2011.

1. theaero macrumors 6502

Hi, I have a 8 month old 2010 i7 17" MBP. The airport hasnt worked for about 4 months, and now the gpu is starting to die (green pixelly lines across built in display and external displays)

I've kind of lived with the problems as I need my computer and I use it full time in my studio, but with the recent release of new MBPs, I'm wondering if now would be a better time than never to bring it in for warranty work. Having it fixed would be great, but is there a possibility of crediting/upgrading? Not trying to scam apple or anything, just curious. I am perfectly happy with my current computer, I just don't know how apple works in regards to warranty stuff. The idea of having refurbished parts in my computer that stopped working correctly after a few months is unsettling to me, and still is, for the amount I paid for it.

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'd defiantly get it checked out! That is not good!

Your rights depend on where you are, however, I doubt any country has laws which allow consumers upgrade when there is a fault as a right. I doubt Apple are going to give you an upgrade unless you have been particularly hard done by- but it is always worth trying!

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lol that's not how it works.

You should have sent in the the machine as the issues came up.

Because if you let them accumulate and send it in, it will only look like 1 repair to apple.

Multiple trips is good and makes it easier to make your case against against the stability of the machine.

You won't get a new machine on the first go. I've never heard of that happening, at least. Nor on the second trip. Third is when most people start asking. Around 5+ (again, from what i've seen) is when Apple will be the ones to decide to replace it.

4. Davichi macrumors 6502

They got bunch of 2010 MBP model with refurbished condition right now. In worst cases, they will just give you that one. Problem solved.

Your best chance is sell yours on craiglist or ebay and buy a new one with least amount of loss.

Apple won't replace yours until you laptop goes in for repair for 4-5 times.

5. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'm not expecting an upgrade, I just feel like for the price of the machine and the time I've owned it, refurbished parts are an insult. I've never once used the computer as a "laptop". It's not moved once from my desk in a smoke free room. The battery has 6 cycles on it, and there's not a scratch or sign of wear. All my other apple machines have been flawless and long lasting. I just feel like I got a lemon, and to have it be fixed with spare parts is not what I paid for.

6. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for the double post. Again, I'm
    not looking for, or expecting an upgrade. Just to get my money's worth put of this machine like I have my Mac Pron and other Apple computers. I would have had this machine fixed if I was able to go a few weeks without it, but unfortunately I couldn't do that. Thanks again for everyones advice and input. Any other thoughts are welcome!

7. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Just got it back today. They replaced just about everything. They found problems with the logic board (airport/gpu), one of the fans didnt work, the battery and power charger apparently were found faulty, along with the super drive and a few other things. Is this normal of Apple's quality control? I just unpacked it out of the box and it makes the startup chime, and then shuts off, but on the repair paper it says they did a fresh install of OSX and tested everything. I tried starting the computer with the OSX cd too, and still nothing comes up. :(

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Damn, it sounds like they might as well have replaced your computer... I wonder why they didn't?

I'd definitely bring it back right away. Maybe make some small noise about it just being replaced even though it's only the second time you brought it in (even with a refurbished 2010... I'm not sure I'd want that one back, it sounds like it was a total lemon).

9. brentsg macrumors 68040

So you've used a broken computer for 4 months because you didn't want any repair, or a possible working refurb?

10. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

8 Months and you have all those problems? But I thought everyone here bought their MBP for the build quality? I'm so confused now what was the advantages of spending more for a Mac again? :confused:

11. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

I wasn't able to bring it in. However, the problem was they forgot to plug in the display connector. They fixed it right up. However, one day of usage, and the harddrive completely died. They didn't even hesititate to give me their top of the line 17" (2.3ghz, upgraded gpu, matte display).

I'm content, but at the same time uneasy. I've never had a problem with any of my other apple products, but my previous mbp was just a mess. They came through, which is great, but I hope Apple's QC isn't going downhill.