Broken Screen on iPhone 4S; Third-Party Repair Voiding Warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chocolatemilty, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Hey, MacRumors Forum readers!

So last night the unfathomable happened. I dropped my iPhone 4S face-down after deciding to go naked for the first time I've ever had any iPhone simply because I couldn't find my Otterbox and I was running late for my college commencement. Long story short, I now have a fully functional but shattered screen 4S with only AppleCare. Luckily, there's a shop downtown that many of my friends have used to fix their iPhones after silly drunken nights and they're highly recommended and do great work, or so I've heard. They charge $80 + tax to fix it (vs. $200 from Apple), and with my shoestring budget, I'm leaning in that direction after I start my summer job tomorrow and get the first paycheck.

My question is, if the screen replacement is flawless and good as new, could Apple geniuses or the factory the iPhone is shipped to to do the refurbishment process still notice that the screen isn't the same one that came on the phone or no? I suppose I should ask this shop if they're using genuine OEM parts, but the only thing I'm worried about is if in the next 1.5 years I need a replacement, upon inspection they see the screen was replaced and my warranty is voided. Have any of you gone the third-party repair route and had that repaired unit switched out by Apple?

Thanks everyone!

2. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

i may be wrong, and im fully aware someone may correct me on this, but doesnt applecare cover accidental damage?

3. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Assuming you bought AppleCare you only need to pay $50 (I think) deductible to Apple for a replacement. If you did not buy AppleCare you must to the out of warranty replacement which is the $200.

If you do the third party and need a new phone in the next years for another reason you can still do the out of warranty replacement which is $200.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

AppleCare+ does with a $50 deductible.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Applecare+ covers accidental damage (up to 2 incidents). The OP needs to specify whether he has the standard 1st year warranty or Applecare+.

----------

Apparently, the OP only has the standard 1st year warranty (that some people call "Applecare").

From another thread:

6. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have the original AppleCare, as I had bought it for my iPhone 4 before the original warranty expired then decided to buy an off-contract 4S off craigslist, sell my 4, and transfer my AppleCare within the 30 day window. I had heard about AppleCare+ some 40 days after my transfer, and it was too late to get AppleCare+ by then. That's when I decided to find a third-party insurance provider once I start my job, but this happened some 2 weeks before the first paycheck. :-(