Brother HL-1230 on OS X 10.4 Success.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i.shaun, Oct 17, 2008.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I looked ALL over, and for some odd reason, this particular model of Brother Laser Printers was abandoned after OS X 10.3

Hl-1230 has updated drivers for Windows XP, and I believe even VISTA, but nowhere could I locate anything for OS X 10.4. Brother's support did nothing either.

I connected it to the mac via USB (i had to buy the serial to USB cable). I added the printer like normal, and picked the 'brother HL 1240 driver. It seemed to be the closest match, so I tried and it worked! I have screen shot below.

[​IMG]

I did a test print on a text file, even a photo and it printed perfectly. No hanging on anything, no unending blank pages.

If anyone else has a Brother HL-1230, try that setup, and see if it works. and I know at least 1 of you Do, or did, as I've seen an unresolved thread here before about that printer and 10.4.

Sincerely,

a very proud me.

2. citykittystl macrumors newbie

Brother HL-1230 on OS X 10.5 Failure

i.shaun,
    I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.8 and I'm having the same problem with my Brother HL-1230. Unfortunately, I didn't understand your description of how you solved the problem. Do you think you could 'dumb it down' for me? Lol.
    Technically challenged,
    Kitty

3. Padraic macrumors regular

Kitty,

It looks like when he added the printer he just used the HL-1240 drivers.

Thanks for searching! :p

Patrick

4. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I'm sorry, looking back on my post it seems I forgot to actually explain what I did thinking the screen shot showed it all (which it does, but only if you know what to look at).

I edited the original post to explain I selected the HL 1240 drivers, that's why in the screen shot it says "kind: brother HL 1240 series cups"