Brother in law: If next iPhone isn't a 6, I'll probably move to Samsung

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Aug 13, 2013.

1. thermal, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

thermal macrumors regular

I was talking with my brother in law last night. He owns two 15-inch Macbook pros, iPads, and an iPhone 4s.

He expressed hope that this September's iPhone would be an iPhone 6 (main interest is in larger screen), and if it's an iPhone 5s internals-only update, he'll probably move to Samsung Galaxy. A 19 year old co-worker at my hospital said something similar two weeks ago.

I fear there are many others who share these thoughts. I know I've toyed with the idea the last several months, though I've remained loyal to Apple for ten years. I fear that Apple, whom I love as a company, is not reading the market either quickly enough or accurately, and their market share AND mind share is beginning to slip. Even companies as iconic and 'different' as Apple need to adapt to unexpected market changes; in this case - a clear desire by many users for larger screens.

If the iPhone 5s appears as rumoured Sept. 10, Apple will still sell millions, but I fear many will begin looking elsewhere.

2. 22mac macrumors member

I don't think Apple will introduce a bigger screen on the 5S, wouldn't we have rumors by now?

Alot of people will move to Samsung due to Apples inability to offer different screen sizes. However iOS looks alot better than Android if I'm honest.

3. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Apple will still sell. The screen will never ever be big enough for everyone. Tell him to buy an iPad Mini and use that as a phone.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

People buy what they want or what fits their needs best. There are 3 Mac computers, 3 iPhones, 3 iPods in my house and I still bought a HTC One last month.

5. alvarez16 macrumors member

Yeah.... That's not how corporations think, let alone successful corporations. They don't make products so they will "sell", they constantly aim to grow and innovate. Blackberry had that mentality and look where they are now.

I understand you might be an Apple loyal fan (and so am I) but you have to be open/understanding to what OTHER people want. You may be ok with a 4-inch screen but others want a bigger screen. Somebody saying they want a larger screen refers to them wanting 4.3-5" screen most of the time, this is just a ridiculous statement on your part.

6. thermal thread starter macrumors regular

Agree on all three of your above points. iOS 7 does looks a lot more interesting!

----------

Not a realistic solution (ipad mini as phone). Galaxy S4 is much more probable.

7. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

The longer they take to offer a larger screen option as well as some of the software features that Android offers, the more market share they are going to lose.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

What does that statement even mean? Regardless, people should buy the phone that works for them.

9. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

this.

after so many years of the same people are getting pretty bored with iOS and the boredom only increases when full of bells and whistles android gets scrubbed in their face by friends, commercials and what not.

additionally, yes, the 3.5" and 4" displays are no match for the 4.7"+ for young people who use it for entertainment purposes.

and not everyone wants to have a phone AND a tablet (or cant afford it).

10. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I want a single device. And the 4" screen is getting cramped. I also think Android uses smaller icons and their increased flexibility with the grid helps immensely. I have my phone jailbroken with no labels on icons, smaller, slightly transparent icons and increased it to 5 across. I can also place icons wherever I want (ala Android) It is going to be hard to decide between the new iPhone on iOS 7 (stock), my current 5 on jailbroken 6, or an S4 or Note 3. It is wonderful to have choices though!

Too bad Apple doesn't see value in giving us choices with a 4" and a 5" screen option. I'm perhaps more excited to see the Note 3 event than the iPhone event.

11. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

many people buy what they consider to be "cool".

a smartphone is not just any electrical device that serves a given purpose. it is also a status symbol and there is a cool factor to consider.

apple is losing its cool factor. i still think they produce one (if not the most) robust phone and operating system. but that is not enough especially amongst the Yuppies.

its like having an IBM thinkpad back in the day compared to an alienware. yes the IBM would last for a decade but who cares? the alienware can simulate a nuclear blast!

similarly here. you can talk all you like about how iOS "just works" but then you turn around and you see how your friend waves at his phone, or triggers a music recognition software through a widget in a live homescreen and you'll have a hard time convincing people.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Tell your brother in law to register and tell us his woes himself. ;)

People will never be truly happy. All I know is there is a limit to how large a phone should be in my eyes. Sitting at a concert I noticed my view was no longer blocked just by tall people but by their ****ing mini tablet-sized phones as well. It is just how things are, but hey, this won't cause Apple to go under.

13. theonlywaste macrumors newbie

I don't care if they lower the screen size. I'll still buy it because in my opinion android is terrible.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Your brother in law is weird. If he owns that many apple products, then isn't he aware of the trend with the S devices? Since the 3G, S upgrades come in between every hardware change.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

16. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Is that water disguised as water? Haha

17. 617aircav Suspended

Give yourself that choice.

18. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I know I have the choice. I said I wish Apple would give us the choice of screen size. I have too much music that won't transfer without complications to Android, as well as all my playlists and such in iTunes. I am tempted to get a larger phone and an iPod Touch, but as I said in my last post, I don't want to carry 2 devices. Meh, we'll see.

19. iHailCaesar macrumors member

You cant please everyone I guess. He should go with what makes him happy. I have known a lot of people that have switched to other devices only to come right back! :apple:

20. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

I myself will most likely start looking at other phones as well. I personally don't like the android software but with rooting and google play versions I think I could find something that would work for me.

21. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

Very doubtful you'll get a bigger screen, but I wouldn't go to Samsung if I were paid to. I had the chance to try out a Samsung GS3 for a month.... hated it. I was very open to the phone at first, but it just went downhill.

22. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Apple is never going to make every single one of the customers happy. It's simply impossible. I have seen a growing number of my friends ditching their iPhones for Galaxy phones instead. For me, the iPhone just works. Yes, I'm integrated into the Apple ecosystem, but I don't mind it. If I did, I would have gotten an Android phone a long time ago. It's just annoying that people keep complaining that the iPhone screen is too small. Maybe they use their phone for entertainment purposes. I don't, so therefore, I don't need a giant phone (aka Galazy S4).

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I agree with your concerns, but at the same time, noticed that Apple never really "read" the market as you suggest they should. I'm sure there were a lot of people like your brother before the release of the 3G/3GS/4/4S/5. So not much has changed in how Apple does stuff... and like you said, they'll still sell a lot.

24. dotme macrumors 6502a

If the rumors are accurate, Apple's Board of Directors appears to share your concerns.

25. takeshi74 macrumors 601

This armchair analysis pops up on countless discussion forum sites for every company out there. The people you know do not make for a market wide trend. :rolleyes:

If any solution doesn't work for you then move on to something that does.