Brother is a "switcher". What should I get him for his birthday?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Doktag, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Doktag macrumors newbie

So my brother's birthday is coming up. He'll be 19 years old. He's been saving up for a MBP, and will be getting one as soon as the updated models are released.

This will be his first Mac, and first notebook computer. Do you have any suggestions for a present (under AU$80) to go along with his MBP purchase?

2. jjaenagle macrumors member

you may be able to get him a nice wireless keyboard or mouse or maybe a cheaper iPod

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

RAM(?) - note: I have no idea of ram prices in Australia.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

get him some speakers because if your sitting at a desk with the MacBook Pro the built-in speakers are not enough. though it would be hard to find some good computer speakers for under 80.

maybe a bluetooth mighty mouse? or another wireless mouse if you know he wouldnt like the "one button" design.

5. astudentis macrumors regular

i would recommend the wireless bluetooth mighty mouse for sure

6. Doktag thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies!

Wireless keyboard - I'm not sure why he would want one? Won't the MBP keyboard be fine?

RAM - Bit out of my price range, unfortunately.

Speakers - good idea, but he already has 5.1 speakers from his old PC setup.

bluetooth mighty mouse - sounds like a decent idea. I'll have to see how he likes the one-click design, as you said. Otherwise, yeah i'll look at getting a different brand. What other decent bluetooth mice are there?

Is there any "must have" software in my price-range? Or perhaps a good "beginner's guide to Mac OS X Leopard" book?

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Just get him a sleeve. Besides the memory upgrade, that's easily the most useful thing I've done for my Macbook.

8. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

- Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard

- Logitech VX Wireless mouse - cheaper and in my opinion better than apples

- Sanyo Envelop rechargable batteries, he will need them for above items
    (Costco has best deal on them)

- AppleCare Protection Plan for Macbook Pro
    (I just purchased for myself - $175 - 50% off at closing COMPUSA stores - still had them at Bakersfield, CA. store)

9. BenzDealer macrumors newbie

i have a nice stand for my MBP so that the screen is elevated and closer to eye level and i have a wired keyboard attached. It's really nice actually you should check it out.

10. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i'd have to agree with the sleeve suggestion, or a travel bag :)

11. tothelimit macrumors regular

tothelimit

the wireless might mouse is 'one solid piece' but its not 'one button'... you can left and right click with it. it has a sensor built it that detects which finger you are clicking with (you just have to enable it in the settings). i use it all day long. i think he would love it. a friend of mine tried a 3rd party bt mouse and it LAGGED really bad. i'd stick with :apple:.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I was going to suggest a mouse as well, but not a Mighty.

Logitech makes some nice mice, buy my all time favorite is Microsoft. Really comfortable, durable, smooth, and overall excellent mice.

You have $80AUS right OP? I'm sure you can find a nice MS mouse within that range (BT or not, ask your brother what he likes first).

13. magicmoof macrumors newbie

The sleeve I got from Waterfield Designs is top notch. How about an airport express to stream his music. It's a pain to plug and unplug things.

14. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

I'd go with the sleeve very useful item to have. My mum got me mine for my birthday and I'm so pleased with it

There is also a crystal case, silicon skin and screen protector you can consider.

15. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

must have software? there is quite a bit i can name
    -crossover mac if he wants to play games from valve on it (half life/TF2/portal)
    -Rapidweaver if he wants to make a website/blog
    -.Mac for cool features like iDrive, back to my mac, etc.
    -If he wants winblows without bootcamp, VMWare fusion
    I can't think of anything else right now.

16. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

A nice mouse is perfect. But not a mighty mouse, thats like giving him a lump of coal for christmas. Logitech or Microsoft is the way to go.

17. panda macrumors regular

airport express

i agree here. a sleeve is great but if i had to choose...

i would not want to be without my airport express. why have a laptop and be limited to one position attached to a wire to access the internet?

it also plays your music wirelessly as well. a great gift, a real necessity, one that one forgets about and takes for granted, because it just becomes part of one's daily computing experience.

:)

18. Pees330 macrumors 6502

You could get him iWork 08 if he's going to be needing a word processor.