Broward County police and the FBI failed Parkland students, not the NRA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

4 deputies on the scene and none went in the school:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics/parkland-school-shooting-broward-deputies/index.html
    [​IMG]

And here’s what Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said after 5 people were killed inside the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood airport:

[​IMG]

And here’s a tip the FBI failed to act on:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/02/23/...anscript/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

[​IMG]

But sure let the media and many of the students blame the NRA because they hate guns and gun owners. :rolleyes:

2. skunk, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  3. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

There's more then enough blame to go around.

Doesn't mean the NRA are angels. They have an agenda that they have successfully pushed, so they do get a share of the blame when that agenda goes sideways on them.

4. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

OP - stick to the script.

Thought Police say guns bad guns bad. One solution only one solution only.

5. DearthnVader, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I highly recommend the full read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/us/fbi-nikolas-cruz-shooting.html

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

There agenda is the 2nd Amendment of the Consititution of the Untied States.

8. 0007776 Suspended

But their failing is further evidence that the idea of a good guy with a gun stopping shooting is a complete farce. If even trained good guys with guns don’t stop it when they are on scene why would we expect anyone else too?

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Where are you getting the founding fathers though the people should be law enforcement?

Have you ever read the 2nd?

It's clearly about the Militia, a citizen army, to secure the free State.

10. Lloydbm41 Suspended

Lloydbm41

Way to try and shift the blame OP.

Ask yourself why it’s illegal for an 18 year old to drink alcohol or smoke MJ (in those states it’s legal), but it’s completely ok, for an 18 year old to buy an assault style rifle that can easily be converted to a full auto gun? Thank the NRA and their lobbying firm.

Ask yourself why mentally ill individuals are able to buy guns at all. Thank Trump and the NRA.

Ask yourself why people can go to a gun show and buy a weapon without any sort of background check. Thank the NRA.

Sure, there may have been police that froze in the line of duty, it happens, but why was the shooter even there to begin with? Ask the NRA.

11. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

Can somebody enlighten me as to what gun control laws would keep guns out of the hands of people that don’t intend to abide by said laws anyway? Is it just banning assault rifles that folks think will help? How would you get them off the streets? Do people get refunds for buying when they were legal?

Not trying for a partisan argument here. I usually lean right and voted Trump but I have kids so I just want something to change.

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

If law enforcement officials can't even handle it how the hell do they expect teachers to?

13. Lloydbm41 Suspended

Lloydbm41

People that already own assault rifles like the AR-15 will not have their guns seized. Not sure why people think that property will be taken away?
    A ban on anyone buying these type of guns, especially those under a certain age limit, is what’s being discussed. Not to mention, let’s have real background checks done! 3 days is a stupid short time period. And then just giving someone an assault rifle because the background check to more than 3 days (regardless of what was in the background check) is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. But again, thank the NRA for that!

14. 0007776 Suspended

The NRA is the one that makes the claim that weapons are needed for self defense and that we should arm teachers to prevent school shootings. Have you been living under a rock and missed them making that argument?

15. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

No this very well could have been prevented if law enforcement did their job.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2018 ---
    Just because these people failed at their job doesn’t mean most people would. By the way I don’t support teachers being armed but I do think schools should become more hardened targets. And the Broward County Sheriff, who is popularly elected to that job, should be fired.
    I’m sorry but this is delusional.

16. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Stephen Williford an NRA member did stop the church shooter. Sounds like it's time to fire the sheriff and some deputies. But just because 4 police officers failed does not mean thousands who risked their lives. As well as the coach who got killed saved lives inside the school as well as some others.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Got a link for a how to?
    There was at least one coach that stood up and took bullets to protect his students. A student even said something to the effect of had that had that coach had be allowed he could have done more".

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Wtf is an "assault style" rifle. It's one pull one shot, the same as every other semi auto rifle. Most likely a lower caliber at that.

If you are going to ban rifle sales until 21 you should also restrict military recruitment to that age too.

Also the Dems better be putting their money where their mouth is in midterms, run on gun bans guys.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I’m not clear what you expect the police to do.

The police have no powers to stop people like this getting guns.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When they post that they are going to be a professional school shooter? Why are they spying on all of our **** if they aren't going to stop crime? They had 20 calls on this guy.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Under the current system the police have to charge the guy with a crime beyond all reasonable doubt. They may well not have had the evidence for that.

The fundamental reality is that if someone gets reported to the police as a gun danger they should be blacklisted from owning guns and they should have to go through the courts to get them back.

22. Keirasplace macrumors 601

WTH argument is that, man I'm sick of the whole 100% logical fallacies and lies 100% of the time.
    Considering the NRA is pushing the god damn "good guy" / teacher with gun thing, this is a ironically specious stand to take. You can't have it both ways NRA bag of turds.

I want to hitch a room to mars on a roadster... or the next comet so I can get away from this insanity.

23. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

Been trying to find this video for a while. Naturally many 'believers' will state that arming teachers would be different, or that they'd be better than the folk in this video. Truth is, even heavily trained police screw it up and they get constant and consistent training.

Most gun owners would fail in a crisis - it's not a slur on who they are, it's a statement of fact because they're human.

24. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I understand people want better gun control, but how can anyone deny that with this incident a very large portion of blame lies with those who failed to prevent it? And no, I don’t mean the NRA. I’m getting really close to putting my tinfoil hat on. It’s not like they just got one tip about this psycho. The FBI received multiple specific tips about this guy and apparently did nothing.

25. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

I personally despite the NRA and almost everything it stands for. Do I blame them for this incident? Directly, no, indirectly, hell to the yes. They are culpable in propagating this madness that more guns are the answer when there's not been one single solitary reputable and independently verified study that confirms that.

In fact, all the studies have shown the total inverse.

They also push that a 'good guy' with a gun can stop a 'bad guy' with a gun when both studies AND real life incidents have demonstrated this is rarely the case, and more often than not turns out to be a complete fallacy with luck more than judgement playing a factor.

What's the difference between a 'good guy with a gun' and a 'bad guy' with a gun' anyway? Seems that the NRA is all for arming everyone, irrespective of liklehood that today's good guy is tomorrow's bad guy.