BTOpenworld is invisible to my iPhone 3GS but my mac finds it!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barkmonster, Apr 18, 2010.

1. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Obviously, it's being a long time coming to my area. I've used my iPhone on both cloud and BTOpenworld via wifi in lots of pubs and bars less than 10 miles away without issue (and for free obviously because wifi on those networks on the iPhone is included with O2).

I'm guessing those claims of apple using cheap, substandard wi fi on the iPhones off certain PC people I know is true. Anyone else had similar problems where it's the only device with wi fi you have that WON'T see a network you know exists?

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Depends how near you are to the BT Openworld transmitter. I guess the Mac has a bigger aerial, so can pick up weaker signals.

3. ACDeag macrumors regular

Do you mean BT Openzone?

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Of course an iPhone, with it's limited size and tiny antenna, won't get reception as strong as your MacBook. WiFi is a limited-range protocol, and it sounds like you're stretching the limits. Also remember that an iPhone is WiFi B/G only, while recent MacBooks have draft-N, with up to double the range.

5. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

I'll stick this in here because it's sort of related. My 3Gs picks up my airport no problem but the upstairs walls are too thick and so I lose the signal. So I got another airport express to extend the network. According to my Mac it's all up and running and the Mac finds it but the iPhone won't. It can't be a network issue because the two airports are recognising each other so what aren't I doing on the phone?

Sorry for thread hijack, was wary of starting a similar one!