Buddism, Medditation and Yoga

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Simgar988, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I've recently began a life changing journey. Throughout my life I have done much thinking, and as I now have begun to read texts from the Dalai Lama, it amazes me how close the ideas found in Buddhism are similar to my own ideas.

Whenever greeted with a temptation, it takes only a half page of reading from one of my books for me to be rejuvenated with the want and will to succeed! It's amazing, and also makes for a very slow read when all it takes is one half page.

The willingness for the Dalai Lama to accept change as it comes through means such as science, and the willingness to disagree with some Buddhist writings in the acknowledgment of reason (such as evolution) is something I find awesome.

Meditation is something that I've been slowely working on, and the idea of mindfulness and living completely in the present second is a wonderful idea. I've reached the awareness of this once, for a split second, and the feeling was astounding and eye opening. The idea of being able to walk through life with this constant awareness is intriguing and inspiring.

Yoga, in itself is a great, meaningful way of exercising, but practicing it with the hope of practicing my journey to mindfullness with not only my mind, but now my body seems to complete the circle.

I'm eating healthier, making good decisions. Although I've tried many things in the past to live a better life and release myself of bad habits, not only is this journey been a success thus far, but it isn't even hard to make the right decisions. For example, last night, I had the urge to do something nonvirtuous, thinking, "its just one little thing and I've been doing so well." I turned to my reading for help. Sure enough, I picked up where I left off, and the first thing I read was:

"Do not think that the cultivation of even a tiny nonvirtue will not stay with you. Just as a large vessel is filled by drops of water falling, so too is a fool filled with ill deeds accumulated a little at a time."

With 1/4 of a page of reading, all wish and want to harm myself was left. It really is quite incredible!

I'm interested in creating a discussion with like-minded people, and people who may be interested in discussing something new as well!

cheers.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Buddhism, meditation and yoga are indeed treasures.

Add to your reading list Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, by Chogyam Trungpa.

And if you can, take in a weekend or week-long (when you're ready for it) sesshin at a zen center every now and then. There's nothing like spending a little quality time with a teacher.

Peace!

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That is pretty sweet. I've heard from many people that meditation is one of the greatest way to restore our overall 'balance', and a lot of it makes sense. The benefit of meditation is also well documented in literature to have very positive effects in regards to mental health.:D

4. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

is that like the week or weekend long sessions of pure quietness? Where should I go to look for those?

Meditation is something I'm still trying to figure out, which is part of the journey, but the concept of feeling completely present in the current moment is something we as people are so displaced from. Were always thinking about the past or the future. This really hit me when i was turning a corner in my neighborhood, but was picturing myself turning the corner up ahead, the idea that I was looking 10 seconds into the future, maybe because of impatience (im not sure) really struck me as crazy and that was the moment I realized I needed to focus on the present, and that it was going to take alot of practice. Thats when i noticed I felt like my brain was floating and my body felt weightless or "not there", for lack of a better term.

When you appreciate the present moment, things as nasty as vegetables begin to taste amazing!

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

So so so so true! I feel recently, that most people (occasionally myself too) tend to concentrate on what to do about the future, that what to do about the present and what to do now is overlooked.

As far as vegetables, have you tried steaming them yet? Steamed carrots with a slight about of molasses or brown sugar is killer good. As is broiled asparagus with olive oil coating and unique spices, steamed broc (by itself), steamed broc w/ cheese, Im hungry

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Whil I am not involved in Buddhism and don't practice yoga, I do meditate sometimes. I have always found it easy to clear my mind and achieve a refreshing and relaxing meditative state. Sometimes I will have dreamlike lucid experiences, or sometimes I'll just peace out and open my eyes after what feels like a few moments and find it has been an hour.

Some people have more success than others at getting into it. I'd recommend a guided self hypnosis audio recording, I've used them and enjoyed the experience.

I do sometimes find an aimless drive on country roads in the evening to be even more mentally refreshing than meditation.

7. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Tonight I cooked salmon, asparagus, zucchini mushrooms and red onion in oil oil on the stove and it was delicious! No recipe, just threw em together in a pan on the stove.

Anymore recommended reads?

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nothing Special: Living Zen by Charlotte Joko Beck

Very straight forward, modern, American take on Zen.

As for locations of retreats, just google: Zen Sesshin + [your location]. Make sure you can sit in meditation for half-hour periods without going crazy or experiencing too much pain.

9. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I'm a big fan of Buddhist philosophy. I don't adhere to the religious side of it. I've always wanted to try Yoga, but am afraid of hurting myself too much. :D

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What religious side? :confused:

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

That's good eating. Not only does it taste good, but its beneficial to the body. My only complaint about salmon is the price :(

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

13. citizenzen, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Surely you can do better than that. ;)

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Seriously though do you not consider Buddhism a religion?

15. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Buddhism isn't a religion, it's a philosophy.

My source is the 14th Dalai Lama

16. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Try Vipassana Meditation.

It's a (pretty tough) 10 day course - run all over the world. The course is free - but you can donate once you've completed it.

I did 7 days of it a year back (before leaving!). Hard-going - complete silence and a regimented 4:30am to 9pm day. I found it extremely interesting.

17. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I think a Goenka course might be a bit too much for the OP.

There are many source on the web for info on Buddhism. Try here. Also if you're still interested, try finding a local group to sit with and ask questions. You can find a local group here. Hope that helps.

18. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Why would it be to much for me? I'm actually pretty interested. Just curious as to your insight!

Thanks

19. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

The Dali Lama only speaks for his form of Tibetan Buddhism - which is roughly 15% of all Buddhist on the planet. Buddhist that are not a follower Lamaism do not see The Dali Lama as an authority.

http://www.adherents.com/adh_branches.html

Branch Number of Adherents
    Mahayana 185,000,000
    Theravada 124,000,000
    Lamaism (Vajrayana/Tibetan/Tantric) 20,000,000

There are multitude of Buddhist with varying views on this.

http://www.google.com/search?client...ddhism+a+religion&spell=1&fp=fca90e9507624f80

20. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Here is one person's experience: Link. Of course, YMMV. There have been many people who have completed multiple Goenka courses and find them useful for their practice.

I think it would be helpful to have an established meditation practice before going on a 10 day silent retreat.

21. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yeah, I left on day 7. I was going nuts... I usually eat a pretty low carb diet - and the vegetarian food gave me a lot of extra energy that I just couldn't burn up (sitting still for 7+ hours a day - very rainy weather so walking meditations not possible). I found it excruciating.

That said, they are good and authentic people, who teach a fascinating technique - and are serious about what they do. Any payment for the course is purely an optional gift at the end - no hard sell. They won't take any money from you if you don't complete.

22. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I have just discovered Jeddah Mali.
    Found her and wow this person is just incredible, she speaks so eloquently and beutifully, like honey dripping out of your ear phones. And what she says is amazing.
    She is the real deal

Wasn't that convinced by Eckhart Tolle but she takes it to another level.
    I listened to all I could find for free on the internet and have just brought her seeds of Enlightenment Course on Mp3 download .

Honestly check her out she is amazing. I have been meditating myself for teh last year but the first time I did her first meditation it was mind blowing. Can't explain it as the mind can not grasp this stuff.

use your whole body not just your head. Your whole body is as important as teh mind in communicating with otehr people. Sounds weird and I am a rational bloke but Iv'e experinced strange things which led me to research energy etc

Anyway google Jeddah Mali- she is an English Girl with an amazing message.

http://www.jeddahmali.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji1Ixk7VnR0