Budget - Credit where credit is due.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by poloponies, May 1, 2017.

1. poloponies macrumors 68030

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

3. Zwopple macrumors regular

Are you serious? What the heck is the wall going to accomplish? IMHO the wall is a total waste it's going to accomplish a total of ZERO of it's goals and cost a ton of money to build and maintain.

If GOP really cares about illegal immigration taking jobs and sorts they should spend the wall budget on an mandated e-verify system for all employers, hospitals and schools.

4. oneMadRssn, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017

oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

He has an edifice complex.

6. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

The wall is dead. And now they should go down there and remove the existing border barriers. They can probably get rid of a lot of border patrol too. The wall
    would do nothing, so therefore the existing fences and barriers must do nothing. So they are just wasting money.

7. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad congress is there to moderate some of Trump's crazier ideas (being glad about something that congress did not Trump having crazy ideas, I mean).

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Send a check.

10. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Remarkably, we have the Republicans to thank for this. The Republican "party" is now so fractured that, even wth nominal control over every branch of the federal government, they've practically ceded authority in Congress to the Democrats.

This is all due to the continuing rot eating the heart out of the Republican party. They've been so desperate for votes, they've allowed the Tea Party to come in and start running things their way, which was doable when they were in the minority, but unworkable in a majority. And it's the same rot which allowed a populist RINO into the set of presidential candidates almost two years ago. Yes, a successful party must be a majority party, and needs to attract as many voters as possible; but there's really no point to attracting voters just for the sake of attracting voters. Republicans now have the government, but they have no consensus about what they want to do with it...

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I so would if it would actually go to the wall.
    --- Post Merged, May 2, 2017 ---
    We can't afford this flow of illegals.

12. niploteksi macrumors regular

Why not crowd fund the wall instead, no tax payer money needed. As a bonus the Mexican people can freely decide if they want to participate as well.

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

We dont need an expensive, silly wall. We just need a classic force made up of archers. Like the old British Longbowmen or whatever. Arrows are cheap and quite the deterrent, me thinks. Its quite simple - you want to breach the USA immigration laws then you may do so. Like Xerxes general says in 300: "Our arrows shall blot out the sun!" :)

Right? Cheap, effective, and intimidating. Thats how you protect a border.

14. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Hey! It looks like Trump just realized that the budget just passed was a pretty bad deal, at least for the list of "priorities" he outlined during his campaign. And so, he's now asking the voters to help him out some more:

The reason for the plan negotiated between the Republicans and Democrats is that we need 60 votes in the Senate which are not there! We....

either elect more Republican Senators in 2018 or change the rules now to 51%. Our country needs a good "shutdown" in September to fix mess!​

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...8?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...5?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

He now wants more Republican Senators! He wants to totally jettison the filibuster! He wants to shut down the government! He's sooo frustrated...

This man really needs to get a clue if he wants to actually do anything while in office.

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

There should be a mechanism for this. Actually they should do this with other things too. Instead of sneaking expenses into bills they could just do crowdfunding and let us decide if we want to fund a project.

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Imagine all those archers on a lovely 20 foot high, 10 foot thick wall. They'd be so much more effective.

17. poloponies thread starter macrumors 68030

We can't afford not to have illegals.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Yes we can. Don't believe the crap that the dems have been spoon feeding you.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Ok - if we can stop believing the crap Donald and the Repubs have been spoon feeding as well.

20. poloponies thread starter macrumors 68030

I certainly believe what the farmers say. Try to find a million plus American citizens who will take over those jobs.

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

A-to-the-MEN brother! Yes, people need to start thinking for themselves and getting involved. All the ass-clowns at the top are feeding you a load of ****. The left, the right, it's all ********.
    --- Post Merged, May 2, 2017 ---
    If we ship all the illegals back AND stop all forms of government assistance it is very possible. People will do the jobs left open by illegals if we stop handing them free crap (WIC, welfare, unemployment, etc.). Perhaps those services can be given IF a person is working.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Here's where we are in pretty much in alignment

I am not against welfare or assistance - but to receive it (unless you are truly completely unable to work) you should be doing things like training for a vocation, or fill potholes, clean trash, work on farms or anything else to receive the paycheck. People have much more respect for themselves when they are being productive. But programs like this could could improve "unemployment" and also provide lots of jobs because the programs would need staff. I'm simplifying my scenario because I'm headed into a meeting.. but you get the gist.

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think the reality is that Democrats and Republicans worked to put this budget together despite Donald Trump.

Not because of him.

Trump insisted on money for his wall. Many Republicans - and pretty much all Democrats - were going to vote against that. Trump wanted to slash spending for retired coal miners. Mitch McConnell wasn't too thrilled about that.

The compromise budget that passed for the next five months is a good indication of how Congress is pushing back against Trump. Not being led by him.

The reason Trump went on TV to whine about "archaic" rules is because he doesn't like the filibuster that gives individual Senators a lot of power. Don't expect too many Senators (even Conservative Republican ones) to be in a big hurry to change the rules to take that power away from themselves.

Trump's strategy of just playing to his base is a recipe for legislative failure. In order to pass laws under our current system, a President needs to get at least some of the opposition party on board.

But Trump has not made even token efforts to reach out to Democrats. He has gone out of his way to insult and alienate them.

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

This is basically what I was communicating.

25. poloponies thread starter macrumors 68030

I'd like to try whatever you're smoking because that is one helluva fantasy/delusion. The average compensation for those workers is in the $10,00-$12,000 range.

And unemployment is not "free crap."