Budget pre-launch: the Senate’s version of reality TV

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, May 22, 2017.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The President’s budget will be launched formally on Tuesday. In the run-up to that, media outlets have of course been asking legislators for hints about their own ideas. Gotta love this quote from McConnell. Among other things when you read it, you think to yourself, wait, this is the GOP majority leader telegraphing to a GOP White House, right? The bolding is mine.

President Donald Trump’s proposal for $54 billion in domestic spending cuts in the next fiscal year reflects priorities that “aren’t necessarily ours,” and he can expect a Republican-led Senate to make changes, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday.

“It will be a process of negotiation,” the Kentucky Republican said in an interview with Bloomberg News. “We haven’t paid a whole lot of attention to any president’s budget since I’ve been here.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...ack-trump-s-deep-spending-cuts-mcconnell-says

2. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well the day is here and my vote for at least one misplaced set of cuts:

Trump budget reportedly cuts EPA Office of Science & Technology nearly 50% & environmental regulator staff by 40% https://t.co/JkB6kZReJp
    Wecome back to the 19th century, if we're that lucky. Can someone please photoshop a picture of a flamingo standing on a table with its head upside down in a glass of water in the cafeteria of the House of Representatives?

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

"You knew I was a snake before you picked me up"

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/trump-budget-snap-social-security/527799/

In the key Rustbelt states that tipped the 2016 election to President Trump, blue-collar white voters at the core of his constituency represent a majority of those receiving benefits from the federal income-support programs he has targeted for large cutbacks in his budget, according a new analysis conducted for The Atlantic.

Whites without a four-year college degree constitute most of those receiving assistance from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Social Security’s Supplemental Security Income program, and Social Security’s disability program in each of the five Rustbelt states that flipped from Barack Obama in 2012 to Trump in 2016: Iowa, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. They also represent a majority of the programs’ beneficiaries in other heavily working-class interior states—from Arkansas and Kentucky through Missouri and Montana—that are central to GOP fortunes in upcoming elections.

[​IMG]
    What the GOP's Health-Care Gamble Means for 2018

4. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Re, the photo: well there's the House. All we need now is the flamingo and the glass of water lol.

Another set of cuts I hope meet the ax from the Senate: the relatively tiny amounts that help sustain mostly state-administered programs like home heating assistance, meals on wheels etc.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The majority of Trump core supporters are the ones that will take the biggest hit in this budget. You get what you pay for.

6. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

They're not going to get what they think they voted for. But, will they re-elect him and the GOP Congress salivating for that tax cut and the spending-side cuts? They can't blame what's going to happen on the Democrats when their side has both houses of Congress and the White House as well. Plus the courts, although the downside of Trump's pick for Trump is that Gorsuch has read the entire Constitution.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Voters are getting what they asked for. They may not like it, but hopefully if they don't this time they will learn their lesson.