Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

question1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2002
I am about to buy a 933Mhz PowerMac. I am trying to cut costs as much as pssible, so here I ask the opinion of the technologically enlightened. I have heard the GeForce 4MX isn't really much better than the ATI card, so would that $100 be better spent on an extra 256MB of RAM? I will be using the machine for DV editing so I am wondering which video card is better for that and by how much?
I have a hunch the RAM would be a better $100 investment, but let me know what you think...
Thanks

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I'm no techie....but....

Up front I'll say I don't have complete knowledge of these video cards mainly because I have no need to know....so I don't know how great the benefits are going to be for u to have one over the other to do DV editing. What I do know is that plenty of RAM helps the job along quite a bit when doing any video editing. I've worked on Media 100 setups on older Mac 9600's with tons of RAM and those things ran so well....so I can only imagine how well a 933 mhz G4 would do it!

I doubt this is going to help u a whole lot, but I wanted to get my 2¢ in while I could... :p

splat

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2002
go ram from somewhere else

get the RAM but not from apple. Trans Intl. http://transintl.com/ you can get a 512 chip for $118. and there are pleanty of other places to get it cheaper also.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
get the ati card, no question about it, I believe it is faster and better supported then the nvidia's.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
at crucial memory you can buy a 256 upgrade and get one free
there was one place that I saw advertised in a MacMall magazine that was 512 for only 67 bucks. :D , but I threw it away cause I have quadrabillions of them, which I also threw away:eek: :( :confused: :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.