Buffering and slow load times Apple TV and iTunes movies

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DocMike1911, Jan 30, 2016.

1. DocMike1911 macrumors newbie

I have tried different DNS servers, rebooted and I can't even watch a new movie I just purchased , Crimson peak with out it stopping and buffering. Netflix has no problems, HBO and showtime, no problems, but for some reason, apple will load movies in two hours plus. I checked the signal strength, it's good, software up to date, this is third generation Apple TV. I have purchased over 150 movies. I don't want to give up on my library. Are there any suggestions?

2. -Gonzo- macrumors regular

What broadband speed do you get and have you tried turning off other devices that may be using the Internet connection at the same time?
    I have a similar problem with my girlfriends Sky+ box and my ATV3, if the Sky+ box is switched on its also using the Internet connection which is around 4-7mbps at best so makes loading Films and TV series near on impossible without having a message on screen saying it needs to buffer for an hour or more.
    Turn the Sky+ box off and they load fine with minimal buffering.

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yeah.. sometimes it just happens, which is very frustrating. I believe when you purchase a movie on iTunes it will try to stream the best quality possible unlike Netflix or HBO who will change bitrate or resolution on the fly according to your network health at that moment.

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

iTunes will actually download the FULL Movie while watching or paused. I think you have a setting for 1080p but that might only be in iTunes. While paused you can see it downloading.

5. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Sorry to drag this back up again ... I'm having a similar problem, though I know what the issue is (my BB exchange is 95% utilised, so they kill my speed from 50 to <5mb)

So my query is, if I change my streaming resolution to SD when it starts buffering, does that work immediately? The reason I ask is that I have changed the resolution and the picture still looks excellent!? I've always prided myself on being able to see the difference, but I really can't - and now I'm wondering why I've been spending the extra cash on HD versions ;)

6. -Gonzo- macrumors regular

Couldn't answer about the resolution but you don't get iTunes extras with SD bought versions.

7. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I didn't realise that about the extras, good to know, but they're not really something I use. I won't stop buying HD, as I'm sure I'd notice the difference on a bigger 4K screen when (more likely if) I get one.

The change of resolution as at least stopped the buffering