Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
The empty trash sound and the "poof" sound when dragging an item off of the dock/side bar are LOUD. Even when my OS X volume is set to just "1 bar", those sound are still painfully loud.

It's not my speakers or anything like that - I have itunes playing right now, and using the volume keys on my keyboard, I have the volume at the minimum (itunes volume is at the max). But when I empty that trash, its painfully loud, like, extremely loud.

Anyone care to test this?

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2005
London
The empty trash sound and the "poof" sound when dragging an item off of the dock/side bar are LOUD. Even when my OS X volume is set to just "1 bar", those sound are still painfully loud.

It's not my speakers or anything like that - I have itunes playing right now, and using the volume keys on my keyboard, I have the volume at the minimum (itunes volume is at the max). But when I empty that trash, its painfully loud, like, extremely loud.

Anyone care to test this?

Fine here

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
ugh... weird. still totally doing it. The sound when I copy a file is the same. SUPER loud.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
If anyone else cares to test...

I have my volume set to the minimum, using OSX's volume control. Youtube, itunes, World of Warcraft... they are play normal sound levels of VERY quiety, since I am on the lowest volume setting.

But, if I open my system prefs, then go to sound, and then the "sound effects" tab, when I click on the sounds listed like "blow, bottle, frog, funk..." they are all SCREECHINGLY loud, and crackly my speakers. It's all the system sounds that are doing this... emptying the trash, doing a screen grab, "drag and drop" copies of files...

Can someone else try that and see?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 80

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
In the system prefs under sounds, the last screen shot you showed put the Alert Volume at MAX (for trash, copying etc.). Slide that bar down until it becomes a reasonable sound to you. That's the only thing I can think of trying.

EDIT: Is this happening on your mac pro, imac or mb. Just curious.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 89

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Wow I'm pretty stupid.

I didn't even realize there was a seperate "alert volume" slider. Never had seen that in Tiger.

Slid it down and now it's fine. Thanks for pointing that out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.