BUG: SMS not sending 5s on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zachnelson, Oct 1, 2013.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

I am continually having this problem.

I send an SMS, put my phone down, and think nothing of it. Then, after several minutes (5-10), I unlock my phone because the people I text usually reply quickly. I navigate to the Messages app, and see "Sending..." at the top. As soon as I see this the message sends. It is almost as though me going back into the app causes it to actually send.

I have signal/service just fine.
    I have experienced this at least 3 times, with three different contacts, all of which have different cellular carriers.
    It has occurred when I am in physically different locations: school, outside, house etc.

What in the world is going on? It is incredibly frustrating because I keep apologizing to contacts for taking 10 minutes to reply to them.

Anyone else seeing this?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

3. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't but I suppose I can give it a try. What are you thinking? The phone is trying to send via iMessage first, every time?

edit: iMessages are off, giving this a try

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

That is how it is designed. Turn off iMessages and your issue will go away.

Also SMS ≠ iMessage.

5. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't take 10 minutes to query the database to see if the number is iMessage capable though.. ?

Yes I understand the difference completely. SMS is carrier text messaging over the carrier network, and iMessage is Apple's peer to peer messaging service between iOS devices and Macs, similar to BBM.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Your right it shouldn't but I have seen it take several hours before.

Since iMessages go through Apple's servers it would not be considered peer to peer.

7. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gotcha well I'll give this a try and report back in a bit. Seems silly I have to turn off a service but I don't really use it so we shall see.

Thx

8. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

You can do a few things one got to messages settings and check send as SMS if iMessage is not working.

Two I have head there is a bug in ios7 and simply resetting network settings will fix it.

Three I was having a few issues the past few days my self including touch id. So I reset network settings and then reset all settings and it's working fine now and touch I'd has been working 99% now

9. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still having this issue... SMS are stalling infrequently and taking forever to send.

10. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. Topher227 macrumors regular

Try resetting your network settings. (Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings)

If that doesn't work, it may be carrier related. Give them a call from another phone and see if its a network issue in your area!