Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Remember CoreComps? Well, they're back, and badder than ever. Now, instead of selling built macs, they give you the ability to build your own, with their new case and custom powersupply. Check out http://www.corecomps.com to see how to build your own killer mac system for $700-$1300!!! (Single 450MHz - Dual 1.4GHz G4).

That is one nice case, too!!! :)

Versello

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2003
What's up with the less-than-tasteful LED colours? I thought Macs were supposed to be sleek.

That case looks like the one Shuttle makes, tho...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Note that they are only supplying the case (without PSU). You need to use eBay or some other method to get the motherboard, CPU, PSU and so on (although you can, of course, use normal CD/DVD drives, memory and the rest).

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
robbieduncan said:
Note that they are only supplying the case (without PSU). You need to use eBay or some other method to get the motherboard, CPU, PSU and so on (although you can, of course, use normal CD/DVD drives, memory and the rest).

They sell a custom power supply and you can buy any CPU from GigaDesigns, Sonnet, etc.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Versello said:
What's up with the less-than-tasteful LED colours? I thought Macs were supposed to be sleek.
Macs are sleek. Macs are made by Apple. This isn't a Mac.

I have to point out, once again, that $700 to build a computer that you could buy whole for $300-$400 is silly. And since you basically have to gut a working G4 to put the parts into this ugly beige case I'd put it in the "stupid" category.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
So what does this auction and the CoreCrib include?

Sleek white paint (same as used on your car)
Beautiful front acrylic face plate
Drive bays covers are easy to remove or replace (save for later recover)
Silver power/reset/firmware buttons
4x 5.25" (optical) drive bays
2x 3.5" (zip or floppy) external drive bays
5x 3.5"(hard drive) internal drive bays
1 silent case fan (not colored as below) included
Screwless entry with "thumb screws" included
Front USB and firewire and audio plugs
Firewire patch cable ready to connect to motherboard
Front USB Cable (connects to USB card or can be wired to back USB ports)
Front Audio Cable (can be wired to back Audio ports if you want them)
Pre drilled holes align perfectly with above G4 Apple boards.
Case screws included for mounting motherboard and rest of equipement.

Sleek Paint? Beutiful face plate?

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
the case just sucks :p But even if it would be a nice one , I would still by the ones from Apple, its just the feeling..

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Dude, that looks like either a direct rip from one of last year's Coolermaster/Lian-Li cases or it IS one of those cases -_-.

I mean, if you're gonna rip a design, at least make it look good.

The second thing is that PC case are typically designed only for ATX form factor--I dunno about Macs, but I'm pretty sure they aren't following the ATX format--which means more custom modding, etc.

snooziums

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Evergreen State
aricher said:
Looks like my old butt-ugly Power Computing PowerTowerPro

Hey! I still have my PowerTower Pro, and I love it! In fact, it is what I am using right now.

Although I did put it into a clear acrylic case, and upgraded the processor to run Mac OS X 10.2, however, it still has the origional Power Computing mainboard, and I still love it dearly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.