Built in early April, System Profiler details, do I have two SataIII ports?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imorton, May 23, 2011.

1. imorton, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011

imorton macrumors 6502

Hello, I wondered if anybody here would know if my new 13" Early 2011 Macbook Pro built in April has two SataIII ports? From what I can tell my MB Pro was built early April.

I attached a screenshot of my System Profiler details, yet I see it has a SataIII for the HDD, or in my case, a Vertex2 180G SSD, and a SataII for the optical bay.

Does my system profiler details say SataII for the optical bay because the superdrive is in there, or will it "ramp up" to SataIII speeds if I throw a Vertex3 in there?

I see LINK Speed and NEGOTIATED Link Speed, and wonder if I was to buy two SataIII Vertex3 SSD and raid them together, would they operate at full SataIII speeds?

Thanks for anyone who can enlighten me on this. IAN...

PS: I love this new 2011 Macbook Pro with a Vertex2 180g SSD, it flies, is quiet, and has no issues, especially no heating issues.

Attached Files:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

From what I have seen, the HD bay is 6Gb/s but the ODD is 3Gb/s. The ODD bay can't provide more because it is connected to the SATA 3Gb/s port. I haven't checked this lately so it is possible that it has changed.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Your computer has 6gig in the HDD bay and 3gig in the ODD bay.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just because it may be related to the confusion (if you already know this, then just assume it's for other people that may read the thread):

SATAII is 3Gb/s.

SATAIII is 6Gb/s.

Thus you have SATAIII in the HDD bay, but only SATAII in the ODD bay. You could buy two SATAIII SSD's, but the one in the ODD bay would only run at 3Gb/s, not the 6Gb/s it's intended to max at.

jW

5. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone for the replies, and that's what I thought, but I hear that some folks that ordered MB Pro's recently, some were receiving dual SataIII 6Gb/s ports.

I wonder what the "real world" difference would be by upgrading my current Vertex2, and buying a Vertex3 SSD for the Macbook Pro... is the real life performance/benchmarks noticeable....?

Vertex2 is 260Mbs, whereas a Vertex3 is pushing 525 Mbs... would I really notice a difference and is it worth the money....? :)

6. xristy macrumors member

xristy

sata port depends on model details?

I have a 2.2GHz Hi-res AG reporting as follows from Wat is dit serienummer?:

Group1: MacBook
    Group2: Pro
    Generation: 82
    ModelCode:
    Machine Model: MacBookPro8,2
    Model introduced: 2011
    Production year: 2011
    Production week: 16 (April)
    CPU speed: 2.2GHz
    Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
    Screen size: 15 inch
    Screen resolution: 1680x1050 pixels
    Colour: Aluminium
    Factory: C0 (Quanta Computer (Susidiary = Tech Com))​

System profiler shows:
    Screen shot 2011-05-23 at 11.19.22 AM.png

The machine appears to have two SATA III ports:

Screen shot 2011-05-23 at 11.20.43 AM.png

and

Screen shot 2011-05-23 at 11.20.56 AM.png

Indeed both the HDD and the SDD have negotiated only 3GB/s but the link speed on both shows 6 GB.

So perhaps as has been opined on other threads the hi-res machines may have two SATA III ports?

7. Beethree macrumors newbie

I have the exact same configuration, made in May, but only have 1 Sata 3 port.​

8. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

There seems to be some real variances amongst MB pro users. Some machines built later only have SataIII/II ports, while others have two SataIII ports.

At least I have a SataIII HDD port for my Vertex2 SSD, however the speed numbers of the OWC or OCZ Vertex3 SSD's make me want to upgrade, but I am having a hard time justifying the cost relative to any real world/real life differences that I may see or get?

How much FASTER would a SataIII SSD be versus my current Vertex2 SataII SSD in my current 2011 MB Pro?

And all the stores selling the Vertex SataIII SSD's appear to have a "limited return policy" so I can't even test it first for 14 days. You just buy it and you are stuck with it... :(

9. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine appears to have been built in early April...

Attached Files:

10. altecXP macrumors 65816

I would just stick with your current SSD until it dies. its not worth the money to go from a SATAII SSD to a SATAIII IMO.

If your SSD died, then I would get a SATAIII.

11. imorton, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011

imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess the voices in my head (the angel and the devil side) are squabbling... You say wait till it dies, but my current Vertex2 SSD are covered for 3 years....?

One voice like you says, stay with your SataII Vertex2 SSD which is very fast compared to a HDD, but the devil side says, OMG you can get 2x the theoretical benchmark specs with the SataIII Vertex3 SSD.... so there is the dilemma :)

I wish I could install a SataIII Vertex3 SSD in my 2011 Macbook Pro and actually see the actual day-to-day performance or real life/real world differences and see if it is worth it? :)

Maybe one day we'll have Thunderbolt External HD enclosures and we can throw these older SSD's in them and have some really fast external backup devices... :)

12. ELA2 macrumors member

Woo hoo! Got 2 SATAIII ports as well.

Guess it pays not to purchase early!

:D

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Do you two plan to do a 2x SATA6 SSD RAID array?