Bullfighting is cruel and inhumane?

Is Bullfighting cruel and inhumane?

• Yes

Votes: 105 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Don't know--don't care--when is the G5 Powerbook coming?

Votes: 11 8.3%

• Total voters

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Just watched CBS 60 minutes which glorified Bullfighting. I was shocked at the glorification and shocked that it was on 60 minutes.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
It's not like the bull has a choice. It's on the same level as dog fighting, cock fighting and all the inhumane animal fights we staged for fun back in the middle ages. As bad as boxing is at least the 2 humans have choice.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
It's not like the bull has a choice. It's on the same level as dog fighting, cock fighting and all the inhumane animal fights we staged for fun back in the middle ages. As bad as boxing is at least the 2 humans have choice.
Very good point which I forgot to mention.

When a bull fighter gets hurt/in trouble everyone rushes out to help him, but when the bull is in trouble...............

Excellent post

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
I don't like it. Have an aunt who's into it, lots of bullfighting and matador paraphernalia in her home, even a cape with blood on it. Yuck.

I'd root for the bull but I don't want matadors killed either.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I hate it.
If the bull wins, it's dead afterwards.
If the bull loses, it's dead during the fight.

@pachyderm: I don't know why someone would be totally against it, yet go and watch it if they went to Spain. :confused:

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
its just a bull

bring on the hamburgers
I was in Pamplona for the running of the bulls, and went to one of the free shows one morning. Everything up until the picador put the first spike into its back was fine, but first blood was when I got up and left. The look in the bull's eyes when it looked at the crowd, the confusion and pain, was palpable. I felt dirty for even having seen that much, and would never go again.

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
While true, the same sentiment can be said for any animal that goes to the slaughterhouse. It is never pleasant.

However, having grown up in Nebraska with family being in the cattle business, I have been somewhat desensitized to it and accept the reality of the situation...be that a good or bad thing.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
While true, the same sentiment can be said for any animal that goes to the slaughterhouse. It is never pleasant.

However, having grown up in Nebraska with family being in the cattle business, I have been somewhat desensitized to it and accept the reality of the situation...be that a good or bad thing.
Yeah but a "bull" in a slaughterhouse is not put into an arena for entertainment purposes... it's used for food.

Sorry to say but the parallelism between the two is absent.

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
In a slaughterhouse a bull is put down with a shot to the back of the head, its instantaneous and painless. Stabbing it repeatedly in the eye/back with a spear on the other hand. . .

Of course if you hapen to be This Guy I'd say I'm a little more OK with it, at least its a fair fight! :eek:

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Alright, it's instantaneous and painless IF DONE PROPERLY. I'm well aware that slaughterhouses are somewhat less humane then we'd like to believe, but they're still miles ahead of slowly stabbing the animal to death.