Bullied Homosexual Teen Expelled for firing stun gun at ceiling to ward off attackers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, May 8, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...y-student-who-fired-stun-gun-is-expelled?lite

I think I ultimately side with the student as in school or not, one should have means to protect himself if confronted with a threat and the fact that he didn't shoot anyone with a non-lethal weapon, but instead the ceiling as a means to have people back off is a valid action to me.

The fault, imo, lies with the school not being able to protect him to the point he had to take means into his own hands....school policy or not regarding weapons on campus

If I were the student, I would not just sit back and accept this.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Why do American kids hate gay people? I don't think anyone was purposely bullied over their sexuality much when I was young. It was something everyone just respected and accepted.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Expel the bullies too and I would be OK with this. He did take a weapon to school. But as it stands, that's a load of crap. What was the kid supposed to do? The school wasn't helping at all. This is the school's screw up- big time.

5. vega07 macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, there is no expulsion rule for bullies.

Just an unfortunate turn of events that never should have happened. The school needs to admit some fault. How an investigation into the bullying did not lead to any conclusion/action is beyond me.

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

based on the article, the bullies should also have been expelled, and the school inaction in the situation seriously questioned

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I graduated secondary school in 2002 and I don't recall any of the gay pupils being bullied either, one of my best friends was openly Bi and she got along great with everyone (tee hee?).

Maybe we both went to nice schools made of pixie dust and sunshine?

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Either that or the US makes too much of a big deal from peoples sexual orientation. I know which one I think it is, my school was awful.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You can't bring weapons to school, period. As in this case, there should be zero tolerance.

But there should also be zero tolerance for bullying. Zero.

It's a very, very sad state of affairs when a student on an American campus feels the need to bring a weapon to school for self defense, especially in an instance where it sounds nearly justified.

First things first, we should expel the principal and superintendent. Neither is fulfilling their primary obligation, which is to provide a safe learning environment for their students.

10. fox10078, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

There was openly gay kid at my school we gave him a good ribbing only cause he would give us a good ribbing about being straight haha, It was all well and good and we were all friends, of course we had that level of friendship already there allowing us to do this.

On that note I hate any people who think they can tell others about their lives, they should be expelled. But schools are no tolerance on guns and weapons, I almost got expelled for forgetting there was a hammer in my car on school grounds, they found that when they searched my car for drugs, didn't even consider expelling me for the drugs just the "weapon".

11. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Bringing in a weapon to school can't be condoned at all, so I agree with him being expelled for arming himself and using a weapon. The bullies should've been expelled too for this situation to be right.

The situation should never have escalated to this though, I'd be interested to see if his parents ever knew about or reported the bullying to the school before this. Schools seem to be very poor when it comes to addressing and stopping bullying.

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Can imagine the sermons this weekend...

Homosexuals running wild shooting good Christians all over America!

13. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Expelling students creates only more problems, regardless.

Somebody needs to kick those goody-two-shoes politically-correct school board wusses and solve that bullying problem, then they wouldn't have a student expelled for taking the last resort to defend themselves.

A hard smack across their faces should be a good start.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Here in the US, you get bullied if people "think" you're gay....

In answer to your question - just look at the number of votes that presidential candidates are getting - that should answer it... :eek:

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sadly getting exactly who the bullies is harder to do and boils down to a he said she said argument.

That being said the fact that the school was failing to address the problem. Far to many teachers turn a blind eye to bullying. They let way to much stuff slide and say nothing. They do not get involved at all until it gets out of hand and then it is difficult to address.

It is not hard for schools to figure out who the students are that are getting bullied and are the ones be targeted the most often. From there it is watch those kids more and then get after people who are doing the bullying. that might mean having teachers and administrators station in that kids normal path threw out the day being a presents. Walk down those hallways. This lets them id the problem students and then they can move more attention to following those students. Have weekly team meeting and then monthly meetings of team leaders to trade notes and who the students are.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not sure why he fired into the ceiling if you are gonna get expelled you might as well go out with a bang and teach a bully a lesson.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I hope him and his family sue the hell out of the school and whoever knew about this bullying and let it go on gets fired and smacked upside the head. And while they are at it, expel the bullies too. Doing nothing to the bullies is sending a clear message that bullying is tolerated and okay, which it is absolutely not.

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I would have used pepper spray but I feel he's justified in defending himself.

19. vega07 macrumors 65816

word.

20. MorphingDragon, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I would've used a bike.

High School, good times... Sadly the kid will get expelled and the bullies will get off scott free for the most part. (Suspension is quite frankly jack ****)

21. Happybunny, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

You must be two of the luckiest kids in the world.:rolleyes:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/05/2...-bullying-in-schools-revealed-by-nut-surveys/

http://www.beatbullying.org/dox/resources/statistics.html

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/inform/resourcesforprofessionals/bullying/bullying_statistics_wda85732.html

Bullies happen in every group and in all countries, it is how the group reacts that matters.
    In this case the school handled it very badly, what kind of message does this send out?

22. hafr macrumors 68030

If the school does nothing, go higher with the complaints. Surrounding him and threatening with physical violence is illegal, report it to the police. Putting a device in the hands of your teen which will get him expelled is being a bad mother.

As I see it, the student himself is pretty much the only one that hasn't done anything wrong...

23. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

In fact, it tells the bullies that if their victim tries to defend itself, it'll get expelled.

Now that is messed up.

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Maybe. I'm not saying that homophobic bullying didn't happen, because it did. But it was on such a small level compared to other bullying. It was mostly done (you guys are going to slay me for saying this) with 'good nature'. Banter. It never got the the point where people were bringing in weapons to school, not even to the point where the victim would have to physically defend themselves. The only thing that homosexual people had to defend themselves from, were words from some idiotic mouth from time to time. And most of them took it light-heartedly.

Most of the serious bullying at my school was focused on social status, not sexuality.

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Over here a lot of people throw the words 'gay' and 'homo' around, using them as insults and such, but not many people (if any at all) actually hate or even dislike gay people. The few gay people that are at my school generally get left alone, no one really cares that they're gay.