Bullying Drives Student to Suicide

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Sep 14, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Another one. When are we going to put a stop to this nonsense?

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/09/14/Bullying_Drives_Student_to_Suicide/

2. Shivetya macrumors 65816

why?

There have always been bullies. Oh, they are picking on gays where they should be bashing Christians. While it is a tragic event would you even have batted an eye if he weren't gay? I seriously doubt it.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

WTF is wrong with you exactly? Where did anyone ever say that bullying anyone is OK? It's not. And I do pay attention to this stuff in a lot of cases. It's wrong to do to ANYONE. Stop trying to make this personal. Schools and parents need to pay closer attention to this kind of thing.

Or do you think we should simply say, "Oh well- there are always bulllies. Whatever..." and take no action to prevent such things? Wait- don't answer that.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

That's a pretty extreme statement to make towards lee when neither article states that the kid was gay.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

And just where the hell did that BS "Christian" thing come from?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Bullying should be dealt with like criminal harassment regardless of what/why the bullies are doing/doing it.

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Bullying about sexual orientation at the age is a lot worse than most other bullying, and it should be dealt with immediately. Unfortunately, those in positions of authority rarely know it's going on.

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

How do you deal with this type of problem when a news channel, a political party, a political uprising, and parents think it is ok to bash people because of their religion or sexual orientation?

(edit) Sorry MacAddict, I forgot the religions that think it is ok to condemn people for their religion or sexual orientation.

(edit 2) I only mentioned MacAddict because he reminded me of the subject, not because of anything he did. FYI

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's tough. We've even got one person in here already who thinks it's perfectly acceptable behavior on the part of bullies, and that no action need be taken to avoid this type of thing in the future.

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I do want to say one thing. Those of us on the left can be pretty harsh too, and we can be hard to deal with (evidence = my recent time outs). I often get angry about the refusal by some in Washington to sit down and discuss the disagreements and find a common ground, and yet, I've failed myself.

At this point, what I really want to find is a common ground. Even if we disagree about the opinions, I want to at least agree about the underlying facts.

12. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

So obviously it was not bad enough for anyone to report it. How exactly are school officials supposed to step in when it is not reported?

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

obviously it was bad enough for him to kill himself.

and the main reason for not reporting these events is typically fear, not the lack of facts

14. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

That's a damn good question. Unfortunately, I think that there are many people who aren't capable of understanding the harm this type of bullying does without experiencing it for themselves.

I guess those that do understand the harm it does need to be more vocal about condemning it.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am of this opinion. I was on the receive end of bullying growing up and push to the edge of suicide. It was not about sexual orientation but just endless harassment.

Yet if I had done it the people responsible might of gotten off with just a slap on the wrist at worse. Yet on a case like this they would gotten a lot worse of a punishment.

Bullies are allowed to get away with a lot and the need to crack down really hard because the problems these bullies leave last a life time. I deal with th struggles those problems from my past over 15 years. YES 15 YEARS later. They still are dark marks on my soul and very painful for me.

16. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

17. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Completely classless personal attack. I'm glad he didn't respond.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I really wasn't trying to attack him personally. Macaddict has been very vocal in his defense of the Catholic Church, and when I saw his post, I realized that religion is also a factor in this type of bullying.

I sent him a PM to let him know I didn't mean it against him, just that he reminded me to include religion in my point.

I'm sorry to everyone who thought I was attacking Macaddict for being a strong, and effective defender of his religion. I merely meant to point out that I saw his name and remembered his arguments.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This is terribly sad and I agree that more attention needs to be paid to bullying in schools. However, what exactly should be done?

I think the best tactic should be to teach tolerance and compassion to kids--which is a very difficult and expensive prospect. Therefore, many schools won't bother.

I think the easy, knee jerk reaction to any situation like this in schools is to harshly criminalize behavior. I don't think students should go to jail for calling someone a name. Assault yes, taunting no.

20. Queso macrumors G4

Teenagers can be both the best and the worst of humanity. Sadly too many tend towards the latter. The sad thing is that those doing the bullying are probably as miserable and insecure inside as the poor Lucas boy :(

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Did you not specifically mention religion in the post before you added that edit? I don't see why you couldn't have edited without adding the aside. With it, it looks like you're insinuating that he would think it's ok because of his religion.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Believe it or not, many people do think it's OK because of religion.

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Actually, I had omitted religion. I added it when I saw Macaddict's post because he has been a very vocal defender of the Catholic Church when some around here have attributed the actions of the pope, cardinals, etc... to the church itself.

My point in referencing Mr. Macaddict, was to reference many threads in which there have been questions related to the church and its policies and positions, without actually getting into them again here.

Suffice it to say that it is hard to deal with children and their bullying when their parents, the news they see at home, the politicians their parents support, and the church they go to, seem to condone it.

(edit) Actually, I have developed a certain amount of respect for Macaddicts personal views on many issues. I don't agree with him or the Catholic Church on many things, but I respect his views. In addition, I really would be SHOCKED if he thought it was ok to bully a gay child. In fact, I'd bet almost anything against it.

24. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Too true... I think everybody realizes that it is a problem, but there are two remaining issues...

-How big of a problem is it, really?
    I would like to see some statistics regarding bullying and suicide/violence as a result of bullying... I have a feeling that It may be portrayed as a bigger problem than it is in reality due to the media thrusting any and all instances of it into the spotlight. Don't get me wrong, one death is too many, but I think there may be more serious issues at hand still, such as gang violence in schools, etc. I would really love to see some figures on this.

-"Bullying" is subjective! Who is to differentiate between "bullying" and "teasing" and "joking" and "friendly banter" etc...?? I am quite frankly terrified of the prospect of adding new R&Rs to the schools, as they are drowning in them already. Just thinking about Zero Tolerance policies (Which Bullying would/is no doubt under) make me shudder.

STORY: One of the last weeks of my senior year of high school I was in my woods class which I shared with a few friends. The teacher had stepped out so we naturally started joking around, totally innocently. I was sort of chasing my friend around with my wood project I was working on, then we started having a fake "sword-fight" with the wood projects we were working on. A random teacher was randomly walking by and saw us through the door window, freaked out, ran in and grabbed me incredibly violently, started screaming and stuff. He calmed down when we convinced him that we were friends just messing around, not even really hitting each other, but he still gave me in school suspension (ISS) for 3 days! Thanks, Zero Tolerance.

I only bring up this story to illustrate how dangerous new broad brush policies are...

But all that being said, this is a terribly sad news story... If only the right teacher in the right place could have talked to the offenders and reasoned some sense in to them... I cant stand hearing this kind of thing, and it just brings me back to middle school where I caught the brunt of more than my share of bullying. Apparently Warhammer 40K wasn't cool in middle school anymore? Who knew?

25. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I don't disagree. There's a lot of difference between accusing a faceless number of people of that and a particular poster in the thread, however.

I see. Perhaps poorly worded is the best way to describe it then. I apologize for my misinterpretation.