Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcomp112

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2017
At least they're marked as 'Open Box' at Best Buy. One of my friends bought a supposedly New 13 inch non-touchbar from Amazon and received a Used one (no plastic coverings on the accessories inside).

When he called Amazon, Customer Service played dumb but a quick Google search shows that Amazon frequently sell used computers as new. Just a PSA for those looking to buy anything high-priced electronics from Amazon (especially MBPs).

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
When he called Amazon, Customer Service played dumb but a quick Google search shows that Amazon frequently sell used computers as new.

* Dodgy third-party sellers frequently use internet marketplaces to sell used items as new.

Corrected for you.

Amazon themselves will not sell you a used product as new. You can hope for it, because it's straight up illegal and you will be entitled to all kinds of compensation, but it'll never happen (intentionally).

Reactions: JerTheGeek

mcomp112

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2017
* Dodgy third-party sellers frequently use internet marketplaces to sell used items as new.

Corrected for you.

Amazon themselves will not sell you a used product as new. You can hope for it, because it's straight up illegal and you will be entitled to all kinds of compensation, but it'll never happen (intentionally).

Uh, no. This was "Ships from and sold by Amazon".

Feel free to google it yourself - Amazon regularly sells used items as new.

Marketplace sellers are pure trash but Amazon itself, while relatively decent, does engage in some dishonest practices too.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
You have to be vigilant buying from Amazon in certain cases. I would never buy electronics from questionable Marketplace sellers. They all are rip-offs. If the Marketplace seller is a huge supplier, then that's better. Even then, it's a crap shoot.

And just because Amazon say's it has a guarantee, there could be issues with returns if your dealing with a seasoned thief or low life.

I use Ebay for used. It's worked out a lot of issues over the years.

mcomp112

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2017
You have to be vigilant buying from Amazon in certain cases. I would never buy electronics from questionable Marketplace sellers. They all are rip-offs. If the Marketplace seller is a huge supplier, then that's better. Even then, it's a crap shoot.

And just because Amazon say's it has a guarantee, there could be issues with returns if your dealing with a seasoned thief or low life.

I use Ebay for used. It's worked out a lot of issues over the years.

Not talking about Marketplace sellers here. The problem is Amazon.com itself selling used items as new (items marked as "Sold and shipped from Amazon.com").

My advice to people is, if possible, to only buy directly from the manufacturer in the case of high-price electronics.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
My advice to people is, if possible, to only buy directly from the manufacturer in the case of high-price electronics.

It's easy enough to tell is it's not new, and Amazon has an excellent return policy, so I don't think this is major issue. Mine came brand new and in perfect condition, and you can judge from reviews at Amazon what portion weren't new (an extremely small number, apparently).

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
Serious question - does 'open box' mean literally that, and I can go inspect the laptop for cosmetic flaws? Or does 'open box' just mean 'used and returned'?

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Serious question - does 'open box' mean literally that, and I can go inspect the laptop for cosmetic flaws? Or does 'open box' just mean 'used and returned'?

It could mean either. Usually it means that it was purchased and then returned due to buyers remorse. I did purchase an open box one time which was literally still brand new. Apparently someone had removed the shrink wrap or it got torn while being handled by the associates.

To answer your original question yes, you can open the box and look them over before buying. Most of the one's I've looked at are perfect and have under 10 charge cycles on them.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
It could mean either. Usually it means that it was purchased and then returned due to buyers remorse. I did purchase an open box one time which was literally still brand new. Apparently someone had removed the shrink wrap or it got torn while being handled by the associates.

To answer your original question yes, you can open the box and look them over before buying. Most of the one's I've looked at are perfect and have under 10 charge cycles on them.

Ah, awesome. May be the way to go! Thanks.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
My friend just got one a month ago and it has GPU issues. Flickering screen.

Not that all do. Just be careful and test it out. Make sure your credit card protects you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.