Bundy grandkids pulled from schools after pocketknife dispute

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
well well talk about think they have some special white privilege going on here.
So if a knife is just a tool why is it such a big deal not to take t to school?
http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/story/ryan-bundy-children-ccsd-meqsuite-pocketknife/IFvwtBXwmU2KwUTiyOm2Xw.cspx
MESQUITE (KSNV MyNews3.com) – One of the sons of embattled rancher Cliven Bundy’s son has pulled his five children out of various Clark County School District locations after a dispute with school administrators.

Officials at Virgin Valley High School in Mesquite told Ryan Bundy that his 15-year-old daughter was not allowed to bring her pocketknife to school.

Clark County School policy states that pocket knives are not allowed on school property, as they are considered weapons.

Bundy doesn’t see a knife as a weapon and explained he’s taught his children it is essential to always have a knife with them.

"I've taught my children a knife is important to have,” he said. “It's a tool that you use, and you need to have one with you at all times."

The Bundy children said that they use knives for their daily chores on the family’s ranch and not as a weapon.

Ryan Bundy doesn’t see what the big deal about any of his children carrying a knife is and said the School District is trying to make his children look like delinquents.

"They're trying to make my child a criminal – and any other child a criminal – for simply having something, and that is not right," he said.

Bundy said he plans to speak with school administrators in hopes they will allow his children to carry knives with them on campus to get this matter resolved.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
well well talk about think they have some special white privilege going on here.
http://www.mynews3.com/content/news/story/ryan-bundy-children-ccsd-meqsuite-pocketknife/IFvwtBXwmU2KwUTiyOm2Xw.cspx

Steve, do you just search the web all day for these stories?

I also don't think a small pocket knife is that big of a deal. And I'll often carry one with a 1 or 1.5 inch blade, it can save your life in a car accident if you need to cut seat belts, and it is surprisingly handy in many other situations too.

I do understand why schools want to ban them though. Just another example of our freedoms being curtailed because if the ignorant actions/behaviors of the few.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Steve, do you just search the web all day for these stories?

I also don't think a small pocket knife is that big of a deal. And I'll often carry one with a 1 or 1.5 inch blade, it can save your life in a car accident if you need to cut seat belts, and it is surprisingly handy in many other situations too.

I do understand why schools want to ban them though. Just another example of our freedoms being curtailed because if the ignorant actions/behaviors of the few.
Are you really making the ban on deadly weapons into a "they're taking our freedoms" sort of thing? Really? Also, how likely are you to need to cut your seat belt while in class?

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
How times have changed, in my school days, admittedly many many years ago, every boy would have had a pocket knife.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
The stories seems to find me I don't search. I agree a pocket knife is not a big deal but trying to say one is fine another is not is going to cause issues.
But it has aways even the few that screw over the many.
their attitude is what gets me they are going to homeschool over a pocket knife?

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Just another example of our freedoms being curtailed because if the ignorant actions/behaviors of the few.
I know what you mean.

I just wish all the irresponsible heroin addicts and coke fiends hadn't screwed things up for the rest of us.

The fact of the matter is kids don't need pocketknives in school. Really. They don't need corkscrews (because they aren't opening wine bottles) or those little weird spiky things that supposedly are used to take stones out of horse's hooves - because there aren't horses wandering the hallways.

Schools are for teaching kids how to read, perform increasingly complicated mathematics, and learn a few things about the history of our country.

If you want to teach your kid how to whittle sticks or skin a rabbit - you are welcome to do it on your own time.

Thats what freedom is all about.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Sounds like the Bundy family is feeling lonely since their militia buddies left.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
How times have changed, in my school days, admittedly many many years ago, every boy would have had a pocket knife.
I had a small pocket knife in elementary school. Many boys did and it wasn't an issue. This is during the late 70s and early 80s.

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm more surprised that the school found out about it. Unless the kids were playing around with their pocket knives openly (i.e being a bit daft) then how did the school find out they had them? I'd assume they'd just be in the kids pocket along with other stuff like their keys.

Do schools in America search kids for banned items?

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I had a small pocket knife in elementary school. Many boys did and it wasn't an issue. This is during the late 70s and early 80s.
but how often did you use it in school?
Actually a lot more than you would imagine, back in those days string was very common. I had and still have a Swiss Army knife, not the same one of course.

I have been informed that carrying a pocket knife with a main blade of 2.5” or under, is still legal, even at school.

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
From the link
The resolution can’t come soon enough for his daughter as she was excited about starting her freshman year in high school and still wants to attend Virgin Valley.

"I hope that somehow figures this out because I still would like to go to this school,” she said,
best line ever,
“I really don't want to be homeschooled.”

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Good grief, I carried a pocketknife every single day from kindergarten to junior high. After I turned sixteen I left it in my car's jockey box. Now it is a crime for little kids to carry pocketknives. What next, a ban on slingshots?

----------

All the time in the parking lot ...

Dude in the background looks a little like Charlie Sheen. #winning :D

Last edited:

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I don't see what the big deal is. As long as she uses it responsibly, its a non issue. I used to carry a swiss army knife in school too. Carrying around a pocketknife is almost a cultural thing where I'm from. I mean, I got my first pocketknife when I was ten and made my first one when I was 12.

I've been arrested a few times, after fights and stuff. The cops asked me a few times why I never pulled the knife, even though once the other guy did. Never really had an answer for them. Its so ingrained in me that my knife is a tool, that it honestly didn't even struck my mind to use it as a weapon.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I don't see what the big deal is. As long as she uses it responsibly, its a non issue.
Again: The problem isn't with the kid who uses it responsibly. Its with the one-in-a-thousand kid who doesn't use it responsibly. Who pulls it out and stabs someone in the lunch line or locker room.

And we cannot tell ahead of time who that kid is going to be.

Why is this such a hard logical construct for so many people to wrap their heads around?

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Again: The problem isn't with the kid who uses it responsibly. Its with the one-in-a-thousand kid who doesn't use it responsibly. Who pulls it out and stabs someone in the lunch line or locker room.

Why is this such a hard logical construct for so many people to wrap their heads around?
It sounds like your solution is to ban everything that has a one-in-a-thousand chance or better of occurring. I don't want to live in your world.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR

It's not hard, punish the many for the actions of the few. We all get it. We just don't think that's the best way to deal with complex situations.

That's a crappy way to live, banning everything that someone misuses.

----------

but how often did you use it in school?
Perhaps never, and if that's the case, then why bother banning it?

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Bundy doesn’t see a knife as a weapon and explained he’s taught his children it is essential to always have a knife with them.

"I've taught my children a knife is important to have,” he said. “It's a tool that you use, and you need to have one with you at all times."
Seriously, it's " ... essential to always have a knife with them"?

Why?

How have I managed to survive these 53 years without carrying one?

Must not be as "essential" as they imagine.

Or more likely, they just don't understand the meaning of the word, "essential".

The Bundy children said that they use knives for their daily chores on the family’s ranch and not as a weapon.
So leave the knives at the ranch when you go to school.

Problem solved.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN

Problem solved.
Indeed. They aren’t doing their ranch chores at school. There literally isn’t any reason that they need to have their own knives in school simply because there isn’t any class that would require them. If there was a requirement for such a tool, the school would provide them so that they can be monitored and controlled properly and not kept concealed by students and misused.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I grew up always having a small folding/pocket knife with me (including at school). It's amazing how useful it can be (cutting an errant thread, impromptu screw driver, prying loose something small that's become jammed, etc.,) and no one ever thought anything of it. Then the zero tolerance crap hit when I was in HS and in the post-9/11 world even small knives like that have to be in checked luggage so I got out of the habit (had to trash more than one knife because I accidentally left it in my pocket). I also used to carry around a lighter (I didn't smoke but some of my friend's did). It's pretty surprising how many bases are covered by a small knife and a lighter.

Now if I'd only figured out a convenient way to carry around a small amount of WD-40 and duct tape...

With that being said, it's a pretty silly thing to pull your kids from school for. Cutting off your nose to spite your face, IMO.

Renzatic

Suspended

Problem solved.
Or just leave it in your car, if you drive. I used to carry a pocket knife with me everywhere I went. During my senior year, the school put them on the verboten list, so...that's what I did.

This isn't a personal freedoms thing, and freedom doesn't mean you're allowed to do what you want when you want. At worst, it's a minor inconvenience.