Bundy grandkids pulled from schools after pocketknife dispute

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Aug 30, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well well talk about think they have some special white privilege going on here.
    So if a knife is just a tool why is it such a big deal not to take t to school?
    http://www.mynews3.com/content/news...suite-pocketknife/IFvwtBXwmU2KwUTiyOm2Xw.cspx

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Steve, do you just search the web all day for these stories?

I also don't think a small pocket knife is that big of a deal. And I'll often carry one with a 1 or 1.5 inch blade, it can save your life in a car accident if you need to cut seat belts, and it is surprisingly handy in many other situations too.

I do understand why schools want to ban them though. Just another example of our freedoms being curtailed because if the ignorant actions/behaviors of the few.

3. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Are you really making the ban on deadly weapons into a "they're taking our freedoms" sort of thing? Really? Also, how likely are you to need to cut your seat belt while in class?

4. Happybunny macrumors 68000

How times have changed, in my school days, admittedly many many years ago, every boy would have had a pocket knife.

5. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

The stories seems to find me I don't search. I agree a pocket knife is not a big deal but trying to say one is fine another is not is going to cause issues.
    But it has aways even the few that screw over the many.
    their attitude is what gets me they are going to homeschool over a pocket knife?

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Spare me the sob story. :rolleyes:

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I know what you mean.

I just wish all the irresponsible heroin addicts and coke fiends hadn't screwed things up for the rest of us.

The fact of the matter is kids don't need pocketknives in school. Really. They don't need corkscrews (because they aren't opening wine bottles) or those little weird spiky things that supposedly are used to take stones out of horse's hooves - because there aren't horses wandering the hallways.

Schools are for teaching kids how to read, perform increasingly complicated mathematics, and learn a few things about the history of our country.

If you want to teach your kid how to whittle sticks or skin a rabbit - you are welcome to do it on your own time.

Thats what freedom is all about.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sounds like the Bundy family is feeling lonely since their militia buddies left.

9. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I had a small pocket knife in elementary school. Many boys did and it wasn't an issue. This is during the late 70s and early 80s.

10. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

but how often did you use it in school?

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'm more surprised that the school found out about it. Unless the kids were playing around with their pocket knives openly (i.e being a bit daft) then how did the school find out they had them? I'd assume they'd just be in the kids pocket along with other stuff like their keys.

Do schools in America search kids for banned items?

12. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

All the time in the parking lot ...

[​IMG]

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Actually a lot more than you would imagine, back in those days string was very common. I had and still have a Swiss Army knife, not the same one of course.

I have been informed that carrying a pocket knife with a main blade of 2.5” or under, is still legal, even at school.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

From the link
    The resolution can’t come soon enough for his daughter as she was excited about starting her freshman year in high school and still wants to attend Virgin Valley.

"I hope that somehow figures this out because I still would like to go to this school,” she said,
    best line ever,
    “I really don't want to be homeschooled.”

15. aaronvan, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Good grief, I carried a pocketknife every single day from kindergarten to junior high. After I turned sixteen I left it in my car's jockey box. Now it is a crime for little kids to carry pocketknives. What next, a ban on slingshots?

----------

Dude in the background looks a little like Charlie Sheen. #winning :D

16. DaKKs macrumors 6502

I don't see what the big deal is. As long as she uses it responsibly, its a non issue. I used to carry a swiss army knife in school too. Carrying around a pocketknife is almost a cultural thing where I'm from. I mean, I got my first pocketknife when I was ten and made my first one when I was 12.

I've been arrested a few times, after fights and stuff. The cops asked me a few times why I never pulled the knife, even though once the other guy did. Never really had an answer for them. Its so ingrained in me that my knife is a tool, that it honestly didn't even struck my mind to use it as a weapon.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Again: The problem isn't with the kid who uses it responsibly. Its with the one-in-a-thousand kid who doesn't use it responsibly. Who pulls it out and stabs someone in the lunch line or locker room.

And we cannot tell ahead of time who that kid is going to be.

Why is this such a hard logical construct for so many people to wrap their heads around?

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It sounds like your solution is to ban everything that has a one-in-a-thousand chance or better of occurring. I don't want to live in your world.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I carried a knife every day at school. Still times/things have changed.

20. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

It's not hard, punish the many for the actions of the few. We all get it. We just don't think that's the best way to deal with complex situations.

That's a crappy way to live, banning everything that someone misuses.

----------

Perhaps never, and if that's the case, then why bother banning it?

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Seriously, it's " ... essential to always have a knife with them"?

Why?

How have I managed to survive these 53 years without carrying one?

Must not be as "essential" as they imagine.

Or more likely, they just don't understand the meaning of the word, "essential".

So leave the knives at the ranch when you go to school.

Problem solved.

22. pdjudd macrumors 601

Indeed. They aren’t doing their ranch chores at school. There literally isn’t any reason that they need to have their own knives in school simply because there isn’t any class that would require them. If there was a requirement for such a tool, the school would provide them so that they can be monitored and controlled properly and not kept concealed by students and misused.

23. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

well see someone is listening to them and preparing them
    [​IMG]

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I grew up always having a small folding/pocket knife with me (including at school). It's amazing how useful it can be (cutting an errant thread, impromptu screw driver, prying loose something small that's become jammed, etc.,) and no one ever thought anything of it. Then the zero tolerance crap hit when I was in HS and in the post-9/11 world even small knives like that have to be in checked luggage so I got out of the habit (had to trash more than one knife because I accidentally left it in my pocket). I also used to carry around a lighter (I didn't smoke but some of my friend's did). It's pretty surprising how many bases are covered by a small knife and a lighter.

Now if I'd only figured out a convenient way to carry around a small amount of WD-40 and duct tape...

With that being said, it's a pretty silly thing to pull your kids from school for. Cutting off your nose to spite your face, IMO.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Or just leave it in your car, if you drive. I used to carry a pocket knife with me everywhere I went. During my senior year, the school put them on the verboten list, so...that's what I did.

This isn't a personal freedoms thing, and freedom doesn't mean you're allowed to do what you want when you want. At worst, it's a minor inconvenience.