Burkini Ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Aug 13, 2016.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

[​IMG]
    This is IMO an insane ban. I've never in my life seen the the terms "secularism" and "swimwear" used in the same sentence. And I don't see how this nicely designed outfit manifests religious affiliation in an ostentatious way.

Congratulations France. You've just outlawed pants and a top.

2. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

How can you swim in that? I think you may as well jump in with a pair of pajamas or a snuggie? Also wouldn't one feed cold with all the wet cloth over the body?

3. VulchR, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You mean like the picture below? :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    Stupid, silly, prejudiced ban. I write this now while medicine I am taking makes me extremely sensitive to the sun. Frankly, I wouldn't mind a swim suit that covers like a wet suit but is less expensive and does not have the bulk....

EDIT: The French can be truly stupid when it comes to swim wear. My nephew was banned from a French water park for wearing swim trunks rather than swim briefs like Speedo's. Frankly, the French idea that one must expose as much skin as possible is a little creepy.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

TBH, it doesn't look that different from those "sharkskin" swimsuits (+cap) that they used at the Athens Olympics. And, as a matter of fact, I know people who are extremely sensitive to the sun, for whom such a suit would make sense.

The real issue, if there is one, is if and when the people wearing these suits, or, their male family members, start pressuring or even threatening women who don't wear them.

"si fueris Rōmae, Rōmānō vīvitō mōre; si fueris alibī, vīvitō sicut ibi"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/when_in_Rome,_do_as_the_Romans_do

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm not sure that your instance above was due to required immodesty. There might have been a good safety reason for it. There may have been instances where loose, baggy trunks got caught on something. Some water parks certainly have some excessively tall/ high speed courses.

EDIT: I stand corrected-- that is, it sounds like swimming pools in France consider spandex to be a sanitary requirement. When did this start?

7. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

It leads me to wonder ... would it also be illegal to step onto a beach wearing pants, a top, and a head scarf.

Or does it only matter if you step into the water?

So arbitrary. So stupid.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Darn it! Now I can't wear my Stations-of-the-Cross Speedo!

I love France. And the French; their food; their culture; their wine; their music; the landscapes; the art, the fashion. The bicycle races. The motos. The croissants and steak-frites. (Their cars do seem a little odd, but that's just me.)

So why, why, why do they persist in coming up with nonsense like this? You'd have thought a century or more after J'accuse, two and a half centuries of anticlericalism; and half a century since losing a Savage War of Peace what passes for the French establishment would have more sense than to come up with risible legislation like this.

But they don't.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Well France doesn't like public displays of religion, especially when it comes to Muslims, so this isnt surprising.

This is also the country the requires men to wear skin tight bathing suits (no board shorts) at public pools out of sanitation concerns. The logic is you might wear board shorts around town and drag I dirt. I think they'd better off using that justification with the burkini.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

12. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Faux liberal Islamic-garb-misogyny protest is absolutely adorbs.

13. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

So much for the stereotype of liberals pandering to Muslims huh?

14. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Can anybody provide a Snark-to-English translation?

(Normally, I understand snark pretty easily, but sometimes a thick conservative dialect makes it hard to decipher.)

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You mean like Schlitterbahn in Kansas? That thing is insane. I can't belive they reopened it.

On topic of banning a burkini, that seems absurd. Banning the face veil is one thing and seems reasonable in some circumstances: having photo ID taken; showing the face to a female security worker or law enforcement officer to verify identification, etc. But a modest beach getup?

Trust the French to go too far even if I generally like their resolve to define and preserve what is French. I suppose in current political climate there is no such thing as too far w/ respect to chastising failure of Muslims to assimilate (as if France did not create the social aspects of this situation in large part).

The burquini ban may be understandable, only if you buy the idea that governments can afford to be all wrong on stuff like this.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I think this was a stupid rule passed to be honest and just further alienates Muslims and pushes segregation. The mayor said the clothing was a symbol of 'Islamic extremism', is he actually for real?! How about allowing people of all faiths to use the beach without a xenophobic attitude?!

France has had all our sympathies for the shocking attacks they have endured but it's this zero respect attitude for Islam that does them absolutely no favours whatsoever. If anything this sort of thing just encourages terrorists to justify another reason to commit awful acts. Stupid idiot.

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

You know full well that's an idiotic comment when you know as well as I do that France has possibly the largest Muslim population in Europe. This isn't a French custom either.

This is a rule introduced without a public vote and we all know how well you would respect a rule if it banned something you liked. This isn't even an offensive object. Dodgy contradictory ground old chap.

18. MarkusL macrumors 6502

More like "if you don't want people from other parts of the world to bring their customs to your country, take it easy with the colonialism thing".

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good to see Cannes nominating itself for the next terrorist attack.

Seriously I see no issue with this, it's like a surfer wearing a wetsuit on the beach.

20. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

I understand this decision completely. No conspicuous religious symbols = no conspicuous religious symbols. Especially if they're retarded. It's quite peculiar that some feel that muslims should be exempt from this law.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Wetsuits aren't conspicuous religious symbols.

Besides the French government pays the wages of teachers in catholic schools. So much for separation between church and state.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Are they going to make Sikhs remove turbans, Jews remove kippa's, Christians remove cross pendants? I doubt it very much. This is just poor judgement and an offensive gesture.

'Retarded'? You might want to learn the definition of that word.

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

I would object to a Burquini even if you were sporting one on the beach. :)

24. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Food for thought that helps to remain objective in this question.
    Some extracts: