Burma: End in sight?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by arkitect, Sep 25, 2007.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I hope that they can overthrow this government without the loss of a lot of bloodshed. Looks like the movement is reaching critical mass.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I think this will end with a lot of blood being spilt.

But I'm hopeful that maybe this time China, the USA or whoever might be able to apply some pressure to the junta which will see the return of democracy to Burma.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Watching it and keeping my fingers crossed, although history doesn't point to this ending peacefully.

5. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

I think so too. I'm guessing the Army will crack down hard and it's going to end badly :(

It's unlikely China will do much. What are they going to say? "We're unhappy with your human rights violations?"

As a side note, why are the BBC calling it Burma? I thought it was renamed Myanmar?

And
    Isn't that true of the USA? ;)

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I think that the military renamed it as Myanmar after seizing control and so most countries still recognise the country as being named Burma.

7. arkitect thread starter macrumors 601

arkitect

And as expected, here come the bullets and tear gas…
    :(

8. Queso macrumors G4

We all knew this was going to get bloody. I just hope this time it isn't all going to be for nothing. :(

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's amazing to hear Buddhist monks being called radical extremists, especially since they're very likely the more peaceful of people anywhere.

I suppose it would be radical for everyone there to be free of fear.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Someone on the news yesterday was reporting a rumor that the military there had purchased large quantities of the clothing worn by monks, and were ordering their troops to shave their heads.

Yeah, this isn't going to be pretty.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was hoping it wouldn't, but I guess I was wrong.

12. arkitect thread starter macrumors 601

arkitect

It seems that even after last night's arrests and raids on the temples the protests are still going.

And the UN? The stones grind so slowly and so ineffectually as usual. Talks abot talks. Imagine sending an "envoy" and they can't even guarantee he will get a visa? :(

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Apparently, the envoy has been allowed to enter the country but to what end? Even when the UN does something, it has little meaning for anyone.

14. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sometimes I see what we humans do to each other, and I am saddened.

16. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I've been trying to follow the news on Burma, but the reports are all so sketchy that it is hard to rely on anything. The BBC gives us some reports on the situation and I've ran into reports on The First Post that seem to be more insightful, but I know nothing about that service. Anyone know of a good reliable source?

17. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I usually get updates through NPR every day. They are usually pretty good about staying away from sketchy sources. I think they've even managed to contact a few people in the country as well.

18. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Thank you. I think this may well be the best sources I've found yet: Democratic Voice of Burma and US Campaign for Burma.

I know it is not much, but there is an on line petition to the UN and China about the Burmese situation.

19. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

The situation in Burma disgusts me. The regime there has gone so far as to kill thousands of monks in mass executions and beheadings, says a defected soldier. Monks are the holy men of Buddhism, and it is unfathomable how this can even be happening in a strong and devout Buddhist country. It simply shows how wretched the generals are, to think that they can be above religion.

It is depressing to think that these peaceful and nonviolent monks are being tossed around like this. There are pictures of bloody dead monks floating in rivers. Horrible.

Even worse is that the revolution seems to failed, and Burma will only continue to face horrible oppression by a selfish government.

20. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

NSFW:

A burmese blog has posted sick sick pictures of what is happening to some monks:

http://moemaka.blogspot.com/2007/09/blog-post_1357.html

The government is also rounding up these monks and moving them far away from Rangoon.

I hope the situation in the country turns around. Apparently there have already been people (Buddhists, most likely) leaving the military because of what they are being forced to do. Hopefully those numbers will rise and those soldiers will be able to stage a coup against the current government.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=484903&in_page_id=1

21. Queso macrumors G4

I wouldn't say it's failed yet, but it's looking that way in Rangoon. We have no way of knowing what's going on in the rest of the country.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I saw some video either from BBC World News or DW-tv that showed how they've "opened" temples with guards posted. I wonder if the monk they showed was merely a soldier in disguise for the outside world's benefit.