Burmese Cyclone

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, May 6, 2008.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I've been caught up with work, and so I apologize for not posting this earlier.

So, to recap for those of you under a rock or maybe just missed the latest in ever increasing numbers - estimates are 50,000 dead; official count is 10,000 dead; 2 to 3 million homeless; specific aid offers that I'm aware of are US$10m from the UK and 2 ships from the US Navy; and, the Indian government gave the junta 2 days advance warning of the cyclone's path.

For some reason, none of this shocks me.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Still found Laura Bush's speech odd:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2008/05/06/BL2008050601369.html
    Classy.

4. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

This is George Bush's fault. The cyclone was caused by global warming, G.W. hasnt done anything to stop global warming, so it is his fault. Its clearly obvious that if we had Al Gore as a president, he would have used his super duper powers to not only stop global warming, but to reverse its effects, thereby preventing this catastrophy.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Perhaps she was auditioning for a future role as a diplomat?

Hopefully this natural disaster and the poor response by the junta will help bring about it's downfall through a popular uprising.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

This assumes china will stop supporting them.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Your devastating wit is misdirected.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No one said that, I was just noting that his wife, who I've met and is usually quite lovely, was being kinda callous, which is very unbecoming.

You guys really do think we're all just a bunch of blind partisans who hate Bush for purely illegitimate reasons though don't you?

9. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

latest estimates put the possible death toll at over 100,000.
    i surely hope our government move quickly along with others and the UN to try to help the people there, forgetting political posturing for once.

in case someone is thinking about donating and is looking for a way to try to avoid 'supporting' the local gov, a good way is Doctors Without Borders, who already routinely work in Burma and therefore doesn't have to clear bureocracy to get things going

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The British aren't fans of Burma (I mean we still call it Burma for a start), so I'm not sure the Times will be a neutral source. The BBC for example are saying aid is arriving though I'm not convinced they'll be totally neutral on this.

That seems like an overestimate. Even so the death toll is going to be massive these things usually don't kill that many people.

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it could be an overestimate, but those are the number going around now, at least from the AP

the Myanmar gov said 23000 are dead and >40000 are missing. and this doesn't take into account all the issues with food supplies, clean water availability and sanitary conditions. so the numbers could climb quickly.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Some of the missing will be sneaking across the border into Thailand however ;).

13. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

To be honest, yes. Maybe not you in particular, but there are many here who seem to be that way.
    I'll be the first to admit he has made mistakes, many mistakes, but it seems that no matter what the guy does, or tries to do, even if it is a positive, many here are quick to criticize him or denounce him. On the same note, I also hear endless criticism on here of America, how evil and totalitarion, and imperial we are, etc...but when we extend a helping hand when a crisis like this happens, no one seems to notice.

As for Laura Bush's comments, they certainly seem warranted to me. The leadership over there does not seem to be allowing anyone in.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps you could wait until one of the "many" actually says something next time. Nobody mentioned Bush at all, but now you have...
    The positive he has done is vastly outweighed by his war crimes.
    You probably mean "imperial", and your "helping hand" was at first risibly inadequate.

15. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

see what I mean? your blind hatred is most likely eating you alive.

and yes, I did mean imperial....

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I am utterly consumed.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I understand Lucrezia Borgia was a knock-out too.

The CBC, our version of the BBC, is saying that the road-blocks are still up.

I see pics of soldiers unloading aid supplies from aircraft, but am unconvinced that it is getting where it is needed.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So it's a bit like Katrina, then?

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Estimates are up to 100,000 now. Makes Katrina look like small potatoes for us Americans.

jon

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's hard to fathom the numbers of people killed/affected by disasters such as this. Hopefully there will be a relax on visa requirements for aid workers so as to allow help to arrive more quickly and secondary diseases are kept to a minimum. Thoughts are with you Burmese people.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well then you aren't really paying attention.

What positive? Name one. One. We've a whole nother thread for this, and I hate to derail this one further, but the closest we got was a speech and not making NK worse.

We hadn't really. Kinda the point. I mean, we are now I suppose, but the first I heard of us doing anything was her criticizing them, impatiently waiting to go off to her Daughters wedding. True or not, the way she put it was very callous given the circumstances, only playing into the negative stereotypes about us.

And if we berate them some more, I'm sure they'll welcome us with open arms.

I keep hearing blind. How is it blind? It's based on something. Actual, legitimate complaint. With nary a good to counter it. That's not blind. Blind is the defense with nothing to back it up.

Anyway, this is a tragedy, and I certainly am not happy about how their gov is reacting, but it seems they've relented after a few of us pushed the UN to get them to let us all in to help, which I'm glad we are.

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The Burmese junta had two days warning from India, but made no radio announcement until a few hours before the storm came onto land.

It hit in a major rice growing area, inundating much cropland. The inland reach of the three-meter storm surge was amplified by the past removal of thick mangroves at the shoreline.

UN relief workers (as of last night, US time) were complaining that the junta was not granting visas to them. This is probably what had Mrs. Bush upset. The relief effort is ready to go and the local government is worrying about the "influence of foreign ideas".

Local government efforts have mostly been confined to cleaning the streets of the affluent neighborhoods.

Food and gasoline prices have tripled.

Little news is actually available due to government censorship. Some film footage has been brought out by tourists who escaped the storm and have managed to leave the country.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Before and after picture. Pretty severe flooding.

Attached Files:

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Looks like the Myanmar government is showing how truly despicable they are.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354665,00.html