Burn a downloaded avi movie to DVD - convert to dvd mpg first?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by psychspirit, Aug 2, 2007.

1. psychspirit macrumors member

Hi, I recently downloaded a bit torrent movie file (avi). I'd like to burn it to DVD. I've searched the forums but decided I still need some guidance.

As of now, I am using Burn. I also have downloaded DivX converter (trial version) don't want to spend money yet.

When I dragged the movie file into Burn, it prompted me to convert the file to dvd mpg. So I click ok and it is converting right now. I think it will take 2 hours to finish converting. After it's done, should I be ok to burn? or do I have to take it into iDVD to authorize it for the dvd player to read it before I burn? (burn it in iDVD? or Burn?)

or should I use divx converter to convert to divx movie? Do I even need divX converter on my computer? What is divX codec used for other than for some top set DVD player to read?

2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

It won't burn because it's an illegally downloaded movie.

Just kidding.

Why not use iDVD to burn it?

3. chuckiehina macrumors member

Toast.

You should to buy it, it is THE way to do his sort of thing.

4. psychspirit thread starter macrumors member

thanks I will use iDVD...hopefully it will work...*fingers crossed* just hope it won't be a huge file that dvd can't hold.

5. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

If I recall correctly, iDVD doesn't like burning things more than half an hour or so. Although, that may have changed in newer versions.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah after it is done converting you'll be good to go for burning a DVD. But it sucks that it takes so long. I use Toast to burn DVD's and it does the converting on the fly, but it still takes as long, if not longer. It really blows and I am looking for a faster method as well.

7. psychspirit thread starter macrumors member

it's not working. iDVD says file is incompatible. it was a bit torrent movie avi file and then I went into Burn program to convert to "dvd mpg" but now iDVD won't read it. I don't know what else to do...:(