Burn a tv show DVD to iTunes and then new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by solidsnake32292, Mar 24, 2012.

1. solidsnake32292 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

So my girlfriend got me a few seasons of a show I like (Big Bang Theory) but its on DVD... So before I opened it I wanted to know of their is a way of burning it to iTunes and then copying them to my new iPad?

I would really appreciate it if I could get some help on doing this because I dont wanna open them and then find out I can't get it on my iPad because I'm at college and the only other way to watch it would be my MacBook pro but the iPad is much more convenient for me(AirPlay, HDTV, etc) so thanks a lot!!

2. erpetao macrumors regular

Use a tool called handbrake. I used it today for the first time to do exactly that and it's perfect.

3. 184550 Guest

4. ckiggins macrumors regular

Are you using the iPad preset in Handbrake? I wasn't sure if that was high quality enough for 1080p...

5. solidsnake32292 thread starter macrumors regular

So I have actually heard of HandBreak.. Is it free? And could I test it before I open the DVDs? How's does it for work a tv show does it make each episode separate in iTunes? And how's do I know what quality to make it? I have a 32gb iPad 3 4G Verizon.... So I don't really need it to be super HD since its just a tv show ya know..

Thanks!

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Just so you know burning is the act of writing data to an optical disc. What you are wanting to do is rip video from the disc, import it into iTunes and then sync it with your iPad.

7. solidsnake32292 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha yes rip is what I ment not burn... Will HandBreak work? And my previous questions as well... Thanks

8. 184550 Guest

The nice thing about RipIt is that it'll automatically locate and rip multiple episodes of a TV show from a single disc. RipIt also has preset video targets like Apple TV, iPhone and iPad.

9. solidsnake32292 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh wow ok and what about size? For a tv show how big would each episode be if it's about 21 min an episode?

10. solidsnake32292 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh and is "Rip It" free? I saw on the website it's free to download but there is also a $25 version so what is the difference? Thanks again!

11. 184550 Guest

Depends on your target preset(s). An Apple TV file will obviously be bigger than an iPhone file.

IIRC, you can rip five discs for free before being prompted to buy/ unlock the software.

12. solidsnake32292 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok great... So I will possibly try it out but is HandBreak free? I'm gonna have more than 5 disks to rip so maybe that mite be a better alternative not sure

13. 184550 Guest

Yes, Handbrake is free.