Burn everything!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...That's what the bad guys in movies always say as the good guys advance on their headquarters, right?

Seems Romney watches a lot of those movies.

Well, he may've followed the letter of the law, but then it seems to be a weak law. As is Romney's explanation. Does he know what the word redaction means? Does he think hiding behind HIPAA is a good excuse? And, uh, if that information is so confidential, does he think it's okay for employees to buy and walk off with it?

2. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

A politician with something to hide? :eek:

No way! They're all such honest, open people.

Some advice for Mitt:

When you use computers and office equipment that belongs to THE PEOPLE, don't be so surprised if some of those people would like to see just what you've been doing on THEIR equipment.

If you want "privacy" Mr. Romney, please use your own computers and phones for personal use!

It's the same with any "Business" employees... the computers belong to the business and anything an Employee does with a company computer is the company's responsibility and property. The business would be foolish to allow Employees free reign and total privacy on their equipment, so why should the People of Massachusetts abide by this?

Unfortunately, the data is long gone by now. Since it was so very important to destroy, we, the people must assume the very, very worst about this man.

He's their BEST Candidate? Obama has got to be laughing himself sick!

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What did he exactly do?

Destroy both the hard copy of the records and the electronic copy everything?
    I got the fact that he erased the email back ups (Something he should not of done)

Now if the public requested emails then all that would need to be done is confrontational info be removed or redacted. Not exactly hard to do.

Now I would support destroying hard copies providing they were scanned and then stored electronically. Reason being is arctives grow very quickly, take up a huge amount of storage space and god forbid you ever need to find something in there because normally long term storage archives is beyond crap in origination.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh, I'm waiting for the inevitable day when a former aide asks for a job, gets turned down, and decides to turn over the hard drive he bought.

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Romney's at it again:

This is on top of both Romney and Rick Perry taking an Obama line way out of context and claiming that the president called you and me "lazy".

My friends, the swiftboating has begun early this year. I've lost whatever little respect I had for Romney. He used to be a little better than the tea party types, but now he's reaching a new low for himself. His campaign is admitting that they're taking remarks out of context and trying to justify it.

Is this the way it's going to be with the GOP from now until a year hence? I don't know about you, but I don't need this crap.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

No kidding. The lack of transparency is appalling, but what kind of leverage did the governor's office give a single employee who just happens to have the "right" bit of data.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think its perfectly legitimate for him to destroy those hard drives.

Going through the information and making sure information that needed to stay private wasn't released would take a large amount of time and money.

9. mcrain, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Actually, have you heard of the Freedom of Information Act? FOIA? Oh, and there are all sorts of laws enacted to prevent companies and governments from doing things in secret.

It may be hard to parse out personal information, but that's what they were supposed to do. The only plausible reason for their actions is to hide things that would be embarrassing for Mitt from public consumption.

More info on how shady Romney was:

10. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The employees bought the hard drives. Nowhere in that article does it say they destroyed them.

And I doubt they have to go through every document to redact them. Most places probably keep their files archived and encrypted and only redact stuff if someone requests the document through, say, FOIA.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Extend this logic and you have a government that is completely unanswerable to the general public, journalists, and auditors. Information that should be protected under various privacy laws like FERPA and HIPPA can be redacted, but the information on government IT systems should remain archived for the long-term.

There is no fundamental reason why state officers cannot be subject to the same rules that guide corporations and the general public under various financial and accounting rules.

The government needs to remain answerable and creating a scheme — whether it follows the letter of the law or not —*to avoid keeping records is perilous.

If the cost to retain records is too high, the IT managers need to be replaced with people who can do the job.