Burned at the Stake

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

This poor baby girl was diagnosed as being allergic to water. She can only be in water for 15 seconds before her skin begins to burn and develop blisters. Only 50 cases have been documented in medical literature.

It's amazing to think how in the past she probably would have been burned as a witch.

What other scientific advances can you think of that destroyed people's superstitions ?

The main one I can think of was proving the world was round. Until then, mariners thought that if they sailed to far from land, they would fall off the earth.

2. 0007776 Suspended

No she wouldn’t have, she would have died shortly after being born of natural causes.

3. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

You are probably correct. The child mortality rate was very high.

4. 0007776 Suspended

And back even a hundred years ago a condition like this would have been a death sentence due to the lack of an ability to keep her alive even if there was another option.

5. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Even simple things like allergies and asthma were probably a death sentence.

6. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

If anyone was going to be burned or hanged (more hangings for witches, burnings was more of a Spanish Inquisition thing reserved for heretics) it would have been the outsider woman the locals bore a grudge against.
    She would have been accused of casting a spell on the baby girlæ hence the affliction.

Though when the priest came to douse the baby in "Holy" water, all bets would be off.

Similar to "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin" this is more of a 19th Century invention to show how backward people supposedly were.
    Eratosthenes for instance calculated the circumference of the Earth to a surprisingly accurate degree…

Anyway.
    Poor girl. My heart really goes out to her. I cannot even begin to imagine life like that.

7. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I agree :(.

I wonder how she could be allergic to water (I always thought it was chemically inert). Could it be something in the water (trace metallic content) or maybe chlorination.

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Well, mental illness in general thorough history was treated as everything from being cursed or a witch to having magical or prophetic powers. Even up until the mid 20th century mental healthcare was poorly understood and patients were treated pretty inhumanely. Basically if you were mentally ill, or even suffered from an addiction like chronic alcoholism, you’d be locked up in an asylum for the rest of your life and most of the “treatments” were really just torture- faith/moral healing, ice water baths, lobotomies, metrazol therapy (chemically inducing seizures), electroconvulsive therapy (though not safely done), insulin induced comas, even though the 50’s using curare/curare-based drugs or succinylcholine to literally paralyze the bodies of the institutionalized mentally ill so they wouldn’t be such a bother.

Another obvious condition would be pretty much any sort of birth defect.

Poor girl, what a terrible affliction. Hopefully they will find a way to adequately manage it.

I had a patient once who was allergic to all sorts of plastic. She had to have an all metal refrigerator from the 60’s, wear all leather shoes, get her medicines in glass vials, had to cut off the grips off her walker, couldn’t sit in a modern car, etc. I can only imagine what it’s like having to live in the past just to avoid medical complications.

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Yeah forget swimming, a relaxing shower, the fun of a water ballon fight... this girl has to be careful of the rain.

The wiki says the reaction can take place with distilled water or medical saline. And while it's not new it's rare and the cause is "poorly understood".

Poor kid, this is going to impact her life in so many ways, it will require constant vigilance. :(