Burned photos to DVD-R, won't play on Sony DVD Player

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by the.orange.tuba, Jun 4, 2011.

1. the.orange.tuba macrumors member

I used my Macbook Pro to burn photos(jpeg format) to a DVD-R disc, and my Sony DVD player says it's compatible with jpeg and DVD-R format but for some reason it doesn't recognize the DVD. The disc works on my Windows machine; it sees the photos, no problem, proving the disc is probably fine.

I used Finder to burn the disc. It's just a bunch of jpegs, not a slideshow. The Sony player has played similar jpeg DVDs that I burned with a Windows PC. What's going on?

Can anyone help?

2. Tumbleweed666, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

It could be the make of DVD, eg the Sony has an incompatibility with that brand/type, or it could be you didn't finalise the disk when you burned it.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Don't think you have to finalize when burning in OSX. Never been prompted for it.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I think you are correct, it must do it by default, as I have just burned a couple of disks from the finder and there was no message about finalising.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Unfortunately, some brands of DVD/CD players won't play DVD-R discs. Individual players spec should give this info.

6. the.orange.tuba thread starter macrumors member

hmmm

Well, the Sony DVD player says it plays DVD-R and that's what it is, and the Windows machine sees the photos, so I don't know. I wondered too about the finalizing of the disc but I couldn't find anything about that regarding a Mac, so I guess it automatically finalizes the disc.

Thanks for the replies and if anyone else has any suggestions, post it! :)

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Try a different make of DVD.

8. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler