Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dyrt10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
image1.png
I'm a new Apple watch owner. I downloaded a sleep app so I wear my watch to sleep. I usually burn around 350 Move calories while sleeping. I don't believe this to be normal. Does anyone else that wears the watch to bed burn Move calories while sleeping? Attached is a picture of my activity. I slept from 3am to 10am. Any help or thought are appreciated.

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2016
In the normal world you do burn calories while you sleep, but Apple Watch has never shown that. I am curious now how your watch did. What sleep app did you download? I would love for my watch to include all day including sleep calories burned

Here explains burning while sleeping

During sleep, a person's weight and the number of hours he/she sleeps determine how many calories are burned. Normally, a person burns about 0.42 calories for every pound in one hour of sleep. For instance, a 150 lb. person burns about 63 calories in one hour. If this person sleeps for eight hours total, he/she burns 504 calories for the whole duration. Just multiply the average rate with every pound of weight and number of hours of sleep. Therefore, the heavier a person is, as well as the longer a person sleeps, the more calories are burned.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
In the normal world you do burn calories while you sleep, but Apple Watch has never shown that. I am curious now how your watch did. What sleep app did you download? I would love for my watch to include all day including sleep calories burned

Here explains burning while sleeping

During sleep, a person's weight and the number of hours he/she sleeps determine how many calories are burned. Normally, a person burns about 0.42 calories for every pound in one hour of sleep. For instance, a 150 lb. person burns about 63 calories in one hour. If this person sleeps for eight hours total, he/she burns 504 calories for the whole duration. Just multiply the average rate with every pound of weight and number of hours of sleep. Therefore, the heavier a person is, as well as the longer a person sleeps, the more calories are burned.
You are describing *BMR and not Active (Move) Calories. ;)

*Total calories - Active (Move) calories = BMR.

Reactions: cmbauer

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2016
You are describing BMR and not Active Calories. ;)

Yeah I would love to see an all day calorie burn including sleep. So you have your all day BMR. Although on my Garmin devices the BMR would be way off anyways. So maybe it would be best to just go by move active calories

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Yeah I would love to see an all day calorie burn including sleep. So you have your all day BMR....

You mean like this? :apple:Watch calculates my BMR to 1666 calories. I weight 150lbs and that is 69 cal per hour.

EDIT: Just checked a couple of other random days and my BMI was within a few calories (1628, 1639 & 1661).

IMG_2175_zpsuw2ml1cs.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cmbauer

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Cripes I am a complete moron this morning. I totally forgot about that area! I will go lay by my dog dish now! hahaha I need to go back to bed obviously
Don't be so hard on yourself. Just write out 50 times "I will never make a mistake or forget anything again". Then after you are finished go and.......go and..... I may have forgot the next part.:eek:

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2016
Its still interesting why the OP has activity while sleeping? Maybe bad dreams?

dyrt10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
IMG_1353.PNG
Bad dreams? No. Sleepwalking? Maybe. I chatted yesterday with Apple. I unpaired the watch and set as new. I left off all 3rd party apps and went to sleep today around 3am. Woke up at 10 am and I'm still showing Move calories being burned. The last thing I can think of is to recalibrate the watch again. Any ideas?

dyrt10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Autosleep. Many people here recommended it but it didn't work for me. I deleted it yesterday

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2016
Autosleep. Many people here recommended it but it didn't work for me. I deleted it yesterday

I thought I read something somewhere that stated that if you have this happen make sure in the settings that you dont have the option selected that you are using the motion sensor in your phone. I am trying to find it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.