Bush administration awash in scandals

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 22, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

so this is the first major-media piece i've seen dedicated to an overview of bush administration scandals. the media's tone has definitely changed over the past year, and i wonder if we'll start to see more pieces like this.

imo, we need pieces like this to remind people that there actually is a lot of wrongdoing happening in and around the white house, and it's not just dems in congress "looking for revenge". hey, GOP congressmen are upset, too!

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

So, why isn't the left as receptive to this type of coverage of the Clinton scandals especially considering his wife is trying to get back in the White House and he'd probably be allowed to visit if not actually live there with her?

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Because Clinton's big scandald was a blow job, which is something that is hardly scandalous. Oh, he lied about it. Okay. Clinton's big scandal was lying about getting a blow job, which is something that is hardly scandalous. Clinton scandals are nowhere NEAR the scale of Bush scandals.

Bush is the most tyrannical and evil president this country has ever had. He is so ****ing dense and un-willing to comprimise. He is running our country into the ground, and the Democrats, for some reason, are not moving to impeach.

Imagine if Bush had choked on that pretzel. Imagine what a better world this would be today.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just imagine if President Clinton, who on various occasions, would have chosen to take OBL out, but instead couldn't be bothered with such a trivial decision! ;)

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Clinton lied. yes. about a Blowjob. not about matters of politics nor about matters of national security. nor about things that affect everyone else in the nation. a blowjob is hardly scandalous.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Just imagine if the Bush Administration, who was told, and given a report titled "Bin Laden Determined to Attack US", had done something instead of ignoring it and taking a vacation to his ranch! ;)

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/26/rice-clinton-terrorism/

Before you say anything; yes, it's from thinkprogress.com, but it is just direct quotes from the 9/11 Commission Report.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Are you sure?

You might find this book among others interesting:

Dereliction of Duty

8. vniow macrumors G4

But but but...CLINTON!!!111

Wow, that only took one post. I think that's a record.

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

That was before OBL was considered a threat. Even Clinton himself says he regrets this decision. In away i'm glad at least he can admit he knew about it but didn't do anything. Unlike Bush who came to power when OBL was a threat to you americans. He supposedly didn't even know OBL was going to attack. Even though everyone told him that.

You know i still think 911 was a conspiracy. However i don't think the Bush administration organised it, i think the conspiracy here is that they knew about it and let it happen.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Interesting.

I think this bloggers comment's capture it well:

11. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

"He seriously questions Clinton's decisions to send troops to Somalia, Rwanda, Haiti, and Bosnia to accomplish non-military tasks without clear objectives. Having participated in each of these engagements, Lt. Col. Patterson personally "experienced the frustration of needlessly wasted lives, effort, and national prestige" as well as the alarmingly low morale that Clinton inspired."

I wonder what this partisan hack thinks Bush's well-thought out and invasion of Iraq and its clear objectives have done to military morale?

Oh, apparently he hasn't had time to think about that question. He was too busy blaming everything ever on liberals...

Reckless Disregard: How Liberal Democrats Undercut Our Military, Endanger Our Soldiers and Jeopardize our Security

http://www.amazon.com/Reckless-Disr...1704606?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177341641&sr=1-5

13. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Hmm... let's see!

On one side you have a president who made a few mistakes including lying about getting a blow job but on the whole did great things for America and helped broker peace in parts of the world.

On the other you have a war mongering president who lied to the people to make them invade another country on false pretenses. Who turned the attention of the army away from finding OBL to fight this war that he lied to you all about. Oh and who is currently making all his good buddies rich from selling arms to the american army. Not to mention making half the world hate you all and might have just started a new religious war between christians and muslims.

I don't know... hard choice there...

I'm not american but at least back in the Clinton days i respected america for what it was and stood for.

14. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Well as i said, at least clinton read the first briefing. He didn't think it was worth sending people to die for.

Bush didn't read the second briefing, which by all accounts portrayed that these attacks would happen soon rather than later.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If it wasn't for his wife trying to get back into the White House I couldn't care a bit about him or his toadies.

And to insinuate that the only scandal associated with the Clintons was his romp with Monica and subsequent impeachment because of his lying about it is ludicrous. His scandals preceeded his stint in the Whitehouse and continued throughout his term. Whitewater, bloodless suicide of Foster, buddhhist fund raising, reactors for NK, missing documents mysteriously surfacing in the Whitehouse, the destruction of items when they and their posse left office, etc. Then there's Sandy Burgler...

16. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

i think the destruction of a few PC keyboards and childish vandalism of the stationary cupboard is fairly minor compared to the reckless destruction of a Middle Eastern country caused by an illegal war.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Whitewater was an almost 100% synthetic "scandal." It was investigated multiple times and no wrongdoing on the part of the Clintons was ever found. Lest we forget, the Ken Starr investigation began with Whitewater and meandered for years and millions of dollars until it found Monica. The Foster suicide has been beaten to a pulp by right wing conspiracy theorists for years -- to dredge that up again is just sad. The White House destruction story turned out to be made up. The Sandy Burger incident occurred long after Clinton was out of office. Reactors for North Korea? That one just made me laugh -- for obvious reasons, I hope. As so on. The worst part of it of course is that this nonsense is offered as a defense of the ethically challenged and gloriously incompetent George W. Bush administration, which of course it is not in the least. I read it as misdirection -- an effort to change the subject. Too late, I think.

18. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I have to confess that I thought the thread title was 'Bush administration awash in sandals', and found myself imagining them taking another extended vacation during a crisis, only this time to the Bahamas. :p

19. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

that never happened.

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for that :)

21. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If relativism works for you, then sure. BTW, "illegal war"? Under who's jurisdiction?

We'll find out what the Clinton's are really made up of shortly. I can hardly wait to see the path of destruction they make through their competition while trying to regain the Whitehouse. Bill's lack of character and Hillary's single minded drive for power has never let me down yet.

23. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

we're still talking about the clintons, eh? hilarious, and not at all unexpected.

it's as if they're actually to blame for all the bush scandals!

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

True, probably because most of the scandals of Clinton where directly attributable to him and his wife whereas most of the stuff that's listed about Bush has to do with the gazillion employees he's responsible for.

25. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

you're not a taffy stretcher by trade, are you? :)