Bush and corporations plant fake stories on TV

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by it5five, Oct 15, 2007.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article621189.ece

A very interesting article. Not at all surprised that I haven't heard about this in the American entertainment industry...I mean the media.

One of my favorites:

2. Queso macrumors G4

I remember this being in the British press a couple of years ago. No doubt our own spin-obsessed government tries to follow similar practices, although whether they get much take up from the rather cynical British media is another matter.

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You just realized that politicians use the press for their own purposes? Perhaps you didn't see Wag the Dog.:rolleyes:

4. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

And again, another classic Swarm comment. Just because everyone does something ****ed up must mean it is acceptable.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It's why it's called politics. Did you have an example of one that's been immune from throwing the press an attractive piece now and then?

I don't understand how you and some others here continue to seek some virtuous politician that looks at his career choice like a religious vocation instead of what it really is. The behavior is either legal or it isn't. You don't want to ascribe moral acceptability standards to something like this do you? You're opening up a whole can or worms for other issues if you want to do that.

6. pdham macrumors member

I have no problem saying that it is wrong to use the media to intentionally deceive the nation and garner support for your personal agenda(s).

Of course the fact that most media conglomerates act as solely profit driven companies contributes to the ease of corrupting the purpose of the press; but that does not eliminate responsibility of the politician.

Bring on the worms…

7. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

The only news I trust is the daily show and the colbert report.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I would guess that mostly it isn't.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You've got to be f***ing kidding me. If they're doing this much to deceive people, why do you think they're telling us anything true about Iraq? You seem to have all the faith in the world when W says everything is hunky dory and going well, but then this comes along and you just sweep it under the rug.

Yeah, I do expect honesty from elected officials. If they get caught lying- especially about something this important, then they should be removed immediately.

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Swarmlord - surely you recognize the difference of occasionally throwing a reporter 'a bone', and a systematic program to spread disinformation to the public? As for its' legality, I do not know what the law is. I know it is legal to leak a story that compromises national security, on-going investigations, or interferes with the legal system. There are also civil laws against slander and libel. So, in cases like those, there is already existing laws on the books.

Whether there are laws against misinformation, and such, I do not know. There certainly should be. I cannot remember reading about anyone actually being tried for it. The feds have so many statutes on the books, it is anyone's guess whether federal law might cover this in some manner. The way the feds work, if anyone involved is guilty of a crime, then they will charge the rest with conspiracy. One of my Poly Sci professors once stated, "Everyone in America is guilty of conspiracy. It is that broad a statute".

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Now there's hard hitting news for you.:rolleyes:

12. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

And apparantly just as accurate!

13. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

And so Clinton wasn't removed immediately because.......?

;)

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't really care about a President's sex life. It has nothing to do with anything. When we're talking matters of life and death however, you damn well better be telling the truth. And for the record, I didn't like Clinton either.

15. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Lee--

I'm with you on not caring about his sex life. Lying to Congress under oath, however, I do care about......

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I do too. However, I think context is also important.

17. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Can't argue with that!

18. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The Senate trial was the cumulation of a long, focused witch-hunt to remove President Clinton. The American people should have called BS on this long before. John Dean was very close to this entire process, and speaks (writes) volumes about it in Worse Than Watergate and Conservatives With Conscience. The right hated Clinton, and further to the right you go, the more the hatred intensified.

I cannot condone an elected member of Congress focusing their attention on removing a sitting President of the opposite party. Yet, that is exactly what happened. They first exhausted trying to associate him with crimes of significance. When that failed, Paula Davis fell into their lap (for a substantial fee, of course). She is the one who ratted-out the Monica affair.

Ken Starr finally has something he could really go after. Then President Clinton made a two-fold blunder. First he assumed no one would care enough about this to bother with it. Afterall, it was a brief sexual encounter, and it was not performed in a public men's room. The second blunder was thinking he could just get away with it, and ended-up lying to congress.

He should have just came clean from the start. He should have just said, "Yes, I did it. Here are the facts". Those out to get him would have had a couple days, maybe a week, ranting over it. But, then it would have been done with and there was nowhere else to go. I think the interesting thing is, if given a choice in 2000, over 60% said they would vote for Clinton again.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So tell me... are $300 haircuts legal? If so, why are all the righty panties in knots over it?

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

We don't trust our politicians because they're dishonest, but then we're genuinely surprised when they pull crap like this. Now granted, some of us aren't as surprised, and most of us still think it's a bad thing even if everyone does it. Just because it's your guy doesn't make it right. And in this particular case, it actually does seem to be even worse than usual, even wandering into, yes, possibly illegal territory. Definitely unethical.

But no, I'm not surprised at all because we already knew he was doing this, and they seem to be trying to do it again in Iran. Which seems to be working in the media. Not so much for the rest of us, who have war fatigue from the last (and current) propaganda mess.

Plus... fool me once, can't get fooled again.

You need to know what's going on to understand them. Unlike FOX news, which seems to be the opposite. I can link you to the proof of this if you'd like. Unless you think Iraq was responsible for 9/11 and there are WMDs.

That was the problem most of us had, and actually still have, with him.

Though in retrospect, it seems almost quaint compared to what Bush has actually gotten away with, whereas Clinton at least lost his law license and was brought up on charges.