zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
link

Bush approval dips below 40 percent

NBC-WSJ poll shows only 28 percent believe U.S. headed in right direction

WASHINGTON - It has been weeks since Hurricane Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast; since gas prices began spiking to record highs; and since Cindy Sheehan, whose son was killed in Iraq, held her antiwar vigil outside President Bush’s Texas ranch. But, according to the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, the fortunes of the Bush administration and the Republican Party have not yet begun to recover.

For the first time in the poll, Bush’s approval rating has sunk below 40 percent, while the percentage believing the country is heading in the right direction has dipped below 30 percent. In addition, a sizable plurality prefers a Democratic-controlled Congress, and just 29 percent think Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers is qualified to serve on the nation’s highest court.

"Any way you slice this data, I think these are just terrible sets of numbers," said Democratic pollster Peter D. Hart, who conducted this survey with Republican pollster Bill McInturff.

The poll shows that Bush’s approval rating stands at 39 percent, a new low for the president. In the last NBC/Wall Street Journal survey, which was released in mid-September, 40 percent approved of Bush’s job performance while 55 percent disapproved. In addition, just 28 percent believe the country is headed in the right direction, another all-time low in Bush’s presidency.

Strikingly, much has happened in the time between those two polls — many of them seemingly positive events for the White House. The president delivered a prime-time speech from New Orleans, in which he promised to rebuild the Gulf Coast. He also made several more visits to the region, to examine the damage caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Furthermore, he saw the Senate confirm John Roberts to the Supreme Court, and he nominated Miers, his White House counsel, to replace retiring Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor.

(more)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
The poll, which has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.4 percentage points and which was conducted from Oct. 8-10 of 807 adults.
Down to 807 samples and the margin of error goes up to 3.4.

But these are terrible numbers for Bush. Nothing he's done in the last 3 months has helped him at all. Tiny bump from Roberts, but that's it.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
and the indictments, if any, will be handed down before the month's out. if there are indictments, i wonder how low bush's numbers can go.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
I'd love to see a poll with one question:

Do you think this country is going to hell in a handbasket?

a) pretty much
b) not really

From my informal polling, the "pretty much" numbers are way, way ahead!

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
tristan said:
I'd love to see a poll with one question:

Do you think this country is going to hell in a handbasket?

a) pretty much
b) not really

From my informal polling, the "pretty much" numbers are way, way ahead!
At present, I couldn't vote for either (a) or (b) without some further development of what "hell" is and what "handbasket" would be; but I am concerned with what would seem to be an eroding morale within the country.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
This is what amazes me, its clear we have people in this country who put Party before Country. How is this guy getting 40% with all the crap he has done. Mr Bush why are we in Iraq if there wasnt WMDs? Seems lots of non fighting republicans like this policy of change the policy. We are now Nation Building or is it fighting them there so we dont fight them here?. I wonder how many Iraq insurgents we created by going into Iraq in the first place. How did we forget so fast that those 911 bombers were Saudi's :confused:

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
zimv20 said:
and the indictments, if any, will be handed down before the month's out. if there are indictments, i wonder how low bush's numbers can go.
A while ago I would have thought the floor was 40% that were committed enough they will support him no matter what. Then Katrina came and his promise of 'spending whatever it takes' blew out his support among his fiscally conservative base, while simultaneously not getting him any support from the rest of the country who no either no longer believe anything he says, or are so fed up with the other problems (Iraq, gas, corruption deficit etc) that they can't support him no matter what he says.

Then he goes and nominates Miers and blows out any remaining support from the religious right.

Now I wouldn't be surprised to find his numbers in the high 20s/low 30s after the Plame investigation wraps up.

The only thing that could rally his base right now would be withdrawing Miers and nominating a Scalia or Thomas -- with a vagina of course. But I don't think Bush has the stomach or political capitol for that kind of fight in the Senate. And I think Rove is worried about his own skin these days -- he seems off his game.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Eww... Scalia with a vagina... Gross... But you're absolutely right. Who knows why he nominated Meiers? It's a mystery, but yep, Rove was off of his A-game.

The administration will also hit another low this winter when heating bills are 50% higher than last year. And then yet another low next year when mortgage rates climb another point next year and the housing market takes a hit. And then yet another low when the new Iraq constitution is a failure

Lots of suffering for the administration (and our poor country) in the pipeline.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
tristan said:
The administration will also hit another low this winter when heating bills are 50% higher than last year. And then yet another low next year when mortgage rates climb another point next year and the housing market takes a hit. And then yet another low when the new Iraq constitution is a failure
They can always blame the Democrats, and Mother Nature, in that order, and about a third of the country will accept the explanation without question.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
And it drops a little lower again:
The president's overall job approval rating has slipped to 38%. And on a number of issues, ranging from the federal budget deficit to relations with U.S. allies, majorities or pluralities say that Bush's policies have made things worse, not better.

While the presidential election is still more than three years off, Bush's problems are fueling a widespread desire for change. By a sizable margin (69%-25%), more Americans say that as they look ahead to the next election, they would prefer to see a president who offers different policies from the Bush administration rather than one offering programs similar to the Bush administration's. By comparison, as the Clinton administration was nearing the end of its tenure in June 2000, far fewer people expressed a desire for a change of course (52%).

Similarly, more people now believe that Bush will be viewed as an unsuccessful president than said that about President Clinton at any point in his administration.
(And for those interested in polling, click through to the link. The Pew Research Group is very professional, and the linked report on the poll is very thorough, including methodology, the original questionnaire, and a detailed demographic breakdown available.)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Thomas Veil said:
Clinton?! Hell, Bush is making Jimmy Carter look good.
I have been thinking the same thing :D I wonder how many Republicans Bush is turning away. Why anyone would want to label themself a Republican/Democrat these days is beyond my Republican upbringing.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Thomas Veil said:
Clinton?! Hell, Bush is making Jimmy Carter look good.
By comparison, Jimmy Carter was good. Let's put it this way: don't expect George W. Bush to be up for any Nobel prizes when he retires from office.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
IJ Reilly said:
By comparison, Jimmy Carter was good. Let's put it this way: don't expect George W. Bush to be up for any Nobel prizes when he retires from office.
i'm actually surprised that nobody blamed Carter so far for the Katrina chaos .. after-all the FEMA was founded under his presidency ;)

personally i don't understand why he is so unpopular...

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
takao said:
personally i don't understand why he is so unpopular...
nor do i. he was a smart guy w/ some good policies.

i think it's two things that are lasting:
1. high energy prices
2. inability to deal w/ the iran hostage crisis

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
zimv20 said:
nor do i. he was a smart guy w/ some good policies.

i think it's two things that are lasting:
1. high energy prices
2. inability to deal w/ the iran hostage crisis
Don't forget branding by the right. Carter is portrayed as a bumbling fool who precipitated the rise of The Great Communicator. The worse they can make Carter out to be, the better Reagan looks in their minds.

Also don't forget that the attacks on Carter have been vicious and numerous by the right. IIRC, Carter was on the list of '100 people who are screwing up America'. He's been accused of playing 'for the other side'; IOW treason. I can't think of another president, with the possible exception of Nixon, who has been treated so savagely after leaving office by his opposition.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
mactastic said:
I can't think of another president, with the possible exception of Nixon, who has been treated so savagely after leaving office by his opposition.
and he responded by continuing to work for peace and to improve the plight of the poor. a truly great man, imo.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
IJ Reilly said:
By comparison, Jimmy Carter was good.
mactastic said:
Don't forget branding by the right. Carter is portrayed as a bumbling fool...
Oh, I agree completely. It's just that Carter is always held up as the supposed "nadir" of all the presidents, ever. Sure it's unfair. But it's been an extremely successful smear, just like Reagan's turning "liberal" into a "bad" word.