Bush Approval Rating Hits Another Record Low

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Oct 18, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Voters unhappy with Bush (and Congress)
    He's down to 24% in some polls, falling from 29% in those same polls previously. I'm guessing the SCHIP thing hurt him more than he thought it would. Can't say I'm surprised at all though.

Also not surprised by Congress' low approval rating. I don't like them right now either. I don't think any of us does. Dems and GOP alike.

2. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

What, nobody saying anything? No one bothering to defend him anymore? Everyone else just consider this stating the obvious?

Not to long ago a thread like this would have been full of responses after a day.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What's left to say at this point? The man is only acting in his own self-interest these days. He doesn't even give a crap about his own party anymore. I'm more concerned with who's going to replace him.

4. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

these days?
    was he ever not acting for the direct benefit of his handlers and cronies or to pursue a radical political/religious agenda?
    was there ever a point in the 7 years of this presidency when anything was done in the interest of the nation (and I mean that very losely)?

and he can still do major damage in the remaining months.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

They're the ones that have to run for re-election, not the President.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So, the fact he's not up for re-election is a valid excuse to piss off 76% of the country?

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Not approving of someone doesn't mean that they're pissed off.

So, do you like a President that makes decisions based on prevailing polls? Oh, that's right. We just had one before this administration and people are lining up for this wife now who uses the same technique. She's such a cameleon that she even adjusts her accent to match the audience she's addressing.

Yeah, I can't wait for four years of her feeling our pain.

8. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Most of us don't like Hillary either. But she couldn't possibly be as bad as the current guy (I hope). And everyone knows it takes the Dems forever to do anything. So like before, it will take them decades to become corrupt, unlike the GOP, who seemed to have perfected it in just a few years. Besides, everyone knows Hill will be a uniter.

Because we'll all complain about her instead of just 1 side doing it. ;)

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Frankly neither. But I'd take that type over Bush, a man who refuses to recognize reality because he "knows" that going off in the wrong direction is the right thing to do.

My preference would be somebody outside the scope of what you're talking about: a principled pragmatist, someone who stands up for the people and the Constitution over corporate and government power, who does have the flexibility to adjust his policies based on new information or changing circumstances, not just polls.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. It would be nice to have a President who is somewhat in touch with the people.

11. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Amen!

13. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Difference being that you didn't reelected them. Our opposition wasn't great, and we did. Of course, judging by recent polls and elections, now most of us can't wait to get rid of him. But it can take us awhile, as we were still reeling from 9/11 and unfortunately, against better judgment, were very pro war.

Not so much anymore.

14. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Screw the people! How about in touch with reality!!! ;)

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You mean the one who's popularity rating at the end of his two terms was about 3 times the current WH resident's?

That's gotta sting the most. The loathed Clenis beats Saint Bush the 43rd handily in public opinion. Michelle Malkin is crying in her hatred at the thought of Bush going down as quite possibly the most unpopular president ever, considering he's within striking distance of Nixon's record.

All, of course, while Bush chastizes Congress for not working hard enough while Bush works to smash St. Reagan's record for Most Days Spent on Vacation...

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I'm not going to defend George Bush's policy, but do you really think he just goes to Crawford and doesn't do anything for a couple days? He's probably got like a mobile command center, obviously all his people to keep him completely up to date. Unfortunately, it just doesn't look good, so he should quit doing it.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think the point has been beaten into the ground more like.

Like in court, object once so the jury notices. Object twice and you've firmly made your point. Object a third time and your point has been eclipsed by the thought of "why can't this guy get over it?"

18. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Are you saying we're the ones who need to get over it? Because judging by those poll numbers, we're not the ones with the problem. If he stops giving us reasons to object, we'll stop objecting. If anything, at this point, the opposition isn't objecting enough, as per their poll numbers.

You do realize why we legitimately dislike him and his presidency, do you not?

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Who is "we"? This is your thread is it not? Objecting is one thing, but flailing ones arms in a tantrum is less than productive. The only thing left to do is wait until Bush is out of office. Besides the whole concept of poll numbers is moot because Bush isn't up for re-election. Although members of congress will be.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You're wrong. His poll numbers aren't only a reflection of what US voters think of him but also what the world thinks of the US. Squandering his "political capital" the way he did has proven to be very expensive for the US. The plummeting US dollar is partly due to his go it alone politics.

Whoever comes next will pay a big price for his poll numbers as will US business.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

1. Who cares what the likes of Jean-Pierre Frenchy and Hans Deutch think about the US.

2. A weaker dollar contributes to slow the growing trade deficit. We import way too much and with a weaker dollar US exports are more attractive to foreign buyers. The US needs to start exporting more. Companies like GM and Boeing will probably do well because a weaker dollar increaes the value of overseas sales.

The economists in the Bush camp aren't the best ever, but they're certainly not stupid.

22. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

The 70%+ that doesn't like him.

Tantrum? :confused: We don't like him. We vote in a poll saying we don't like him. Again, your use of words makes it seem like you don't think we (yes we) have no legitimate reason to dislike him, the way a child may throw a tantrum over nothing. Look around, there are plenty of valid reasons to dislike the man and his disastrous policies that are affecting this country right now.

Again, are you saying we have no reason to dislike him so much?

He won't be out of office for over a year. A lot can happen during that time, and already is. Why should we have to wait? We dislike him now. We dislike what he's doing now. We're going to keep disliking him as long as he is in office, continuing to do these things. Why should we stop? Because you say so?

Poll #s reflect popularity of the current admin and it's policies. Right now it is vastly unpopular, and that's completely relevant. The more he does these things, the more we show our disapproval. He may not care, and you may not care, but we sure do. And whoever wants to be the next president better, as well as anyone who wants to win their next election.

I can't believe we're actually having this ridiculous argument. Are we supposed to just accept what's happening, and let him get away with whatever he wants? Last I checked this was still America, and we could still show our disapproval for our leadership, even if people like you don't care.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You can dislike him all you want as far as I'm concerned. Bang on the walls and tear your clothes in anger. That and poll numbers aren't going to do anything to change things. Also, you're kind of missing the point I was making about how to protest. Another problem with polls is that there are so many of them. Its no wonder that this and past presidents don't pay much attention to them.

24. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

You think that's all anyone is doing? Polls are merely to gauge public reactions. They aren't the end all be all. If those in Congress were smart (Dems and GOP alike) and wanted to keep their jobs, some of them should be paying more attention to them. Same with Presidential candidates. And the current administration, who, if they were paying attention, could tell they maybe weren't doing such a great job in most people's eyes. And the media. It also keeps the citizenry aware of what they others in the country are thinking and feeling.

Again, just because you don't care, doesn't mean the rest of us don't. And you still haven't answered my question. Do you think they're doing a good enough job that we shouldn't have a problem with them?

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The irony of those two points is amazing.

When people don't like someone, they're probably not going to buy as much from them and even more so, be less likely to come visit. Tourist visits to the US have plummeted in the last few years despite the fact that the US is dirt cheap right now. It hasn't however, affected the number of US tourists visiting Europe. Mostly because Europe isn't suffering the extreme paranoia the US is.

German and French exports have skyrocketed the last few years in part because the US is simply less than an ideal business partner. Much of the increase in US exports are exchange rate based, and are not because US products are taking the world by storm.

Many companies like Toyota, BMW, etc have plants in the US. In part so they won't be affected by exchange rate fluctuations.

Boeing's sales are increasingly tied to politics. China only ever buys from them when it wants something from the US.