bush dig at dick

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by scotthayes, Mar 5, 2008.

1. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Watching the McCain/bush press conference on fox (sorry, only US news we get in the UK)

When asked if he would counsel McCain on VP bush replied "be careful who he names to be the head of the selection committee", followed by a look of "don't ****up like I did"

is bush that pissed off with dick?

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

That's a very interesting comment from Bush and I wonder if it indicates regret on his part of having his administration hijacked by Cheney. How did the Fox hosts react to this comment?

3. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

missed that bit, was busy typing this thread.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, I didn't know GWB was that way inclined! :eek: :D :p

5. stevegmu macrumors regular

How can anyone comment on this, since you didn't post a link to the vid?

6. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i dont know why mccain is trying to connect himself to bush. his own party hates him

7. stevegmu macrumors regular

Just where do you get that idea?

8. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

As I was typing it as he was speaking I doubt even youtube would have video of it. And are we really at that stage in life where you can not comment unless there is a video link :rolleyes:

The old way of doing things for you. A transcript of the press conference

And just for stevegmu, a video of the WHOLE press conference

9. stevegmu macrumors regular

So we are supposed to comment on your biased opinion of what you saw?

10. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

did anyone else misinterpret the title of this thread? :p

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You know, for someone who often complains about the quality of discourse, you sure are making a lot of personal attacks, assumptions, and posting very few links to back up anything you say.

Since this is about a press conference, and a lot of people watch those sorts of things on the tee vee, it might be possible he's looking for responses from other people who have been watching along?

I think people would be more willing to engage you on the level you claim to endorse if you were actually engaging others on that level yourself. "Lead by example" and all that...

I'm not "picking on you" because of divergent viewpoints, but because I actually want to hear what you have to say and would be able to engage and discuss things with you more easily if you weren't so dedicated to being so seemingly belligerent and holier-than-thou. Part of the "good housekeeping" rules in the PSRI forums are to be respectful, and I'd love to engage you on a respectful level, but it's awful hard to do that when you seem to be unwilling to give the benefit of the doubt or a modicum of respect to those whose views differ from your own. Even if you've yet to direct any of these comments at me, you're directing them at a community I'm part of, making it difficult to shake the impression that you're just trolling and not genuinely interested in debate.

12. stevegmu macrumors regular

I haven't insulted anyone. Maybe you are confused concerning the definition of the word biased?

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

some how I think you completely miss understood the look. From my understanding Bush worked very closely with Dick a lot though out his presidentcy.

Do not read so much into it.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Did you not read the rest of his post at all? Did you stop about halfway through the first sentence, decide the rest of his post meant nothing, and respond?

I know you've blocked me because I'm not willing to play by your rules, but your style of "debate" (which is by the way, not at all rational, like you expect out of everyone else) is getting awfully old/tiring.

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

No confusion at all. You don't have to directly insult someone to act in a manner that is condescending or insulting. Behaviour, tone and posturing can be just as insulting or juvenile as calling someone a foul name.

16. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I've now posted the transcript of the press conference and a video link.

So how's about you jump in there and comment on the subject of the tread or just don't bother saying anything.

Oh and my 'biased opinion' if you read my first post you will see I asked a question. The question is 'Is bush that pissed off with dick?"

Don't know what you mean :D

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It wasn't an opinion. It was what Bush said on television. He's asking whether this should be interpreted as hostilitye towards Cheney.

I don't see an opinion about anything in the original post. Do you even know what you're talking about, or do you just comment for the sake of doing so?

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[Reagan] Well, there you go again. [/Reagan]

We're "confused".

We just don't understand.

Hey -- ever noticed you use that rationale a lot? I mean, really a lot?

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Polls, the fact that very few seem to want him to campaign for them, the Republicans who are deciding to vote for Obama, the ones that are now saying Bush isn't really a Republican...

He posted 2 links, what more do you want? Disagree? Fine, go ahead. But not like that. That's not the "rational discourse" you keep saying you want.

That much is obvious.

Pretty much apparently.

Don't feel bad, I was put on his ignore list on the first day. :p

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Just watched the video. Looks like a joke to me. I think you're reading way too much into this.

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I don't have to watch the video to know that it was a joke. You see, sometimes, when people are friends, they poke fun at each other.

22. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

It was more the look he gave after saying that got me wondering if they had had a falling out.

23. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Maybe Cheney asked him to go hunting? :p

24. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

It's possible, but I doubt it though. It's too open to misinterpretation and assumptions. Especially if he didn't give his trademark monkey laugh afterwards. :)

25. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

ScottHayes,

I really have no opinion one way, or the other. But, Bush was definitely in a strange mindset during that entire press conference. This was suppose to be a great day in the sun for McCain, but the majority of the time it was Bush talking about himself.

I think there is a strong possibility that the relationship between Bush and Cheney is not as rosy as some might think. Bush is a product of the international oil cartel and Texas power politics. He was carefully groomed for years to occupy the WH. But, I have long suspected that no one was going to actually turn the Country over to GW. My sense also tells me that Cheney's first duty is to keep an eye on GW, and not let him get into trouble. Cheney also exhibits the characteristics of the 'invisible man' behind the scenes, who is actually enforcing the policies of the real power men, and probably enacting his own policies as well.

I think Bush knows full-well that he is the most unpopular president in recent memory. Contrary to what he is saying recently, I think he hears the big clock ticking and is now becoming scared that he will carry this legacy back to Texas. Cheney on the other hand, could not care less what the great unwashed masses think about him. Cheney is pure evil and I think he would much prefer to be feared, rather than loved. So, there is that possibility that there is a rift growing in their relationship. However, do not take this as a hard conclusion. This contains a great deal of speculation.