Bush: evil conspiratorial genius or moron?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dswoodley, Jul 25, 2007.

1. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I just want to offer an opinion poll on GWB. On these forums I am perplexed by how wide ranging the opinions vary on W's motivations. Some would argue that he seeks to gather absolute power under him, he purposefully manipulates the american people to support his agenda of world domination - sounds like a James Bond villian to me. Others say he an incompetent boob with no grasp of politics, economics or social structures. Interestingly, some people espouse both opinions of him, though at different times. I find that to be just a slight contradiction. Anyway, what do you all think - Is W a criminal evil genius or a moron? (present other options too).

Me? I think he's a dolt plain and simple.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

How about evil conspiratorial moron... I think there is some conspiracy going on, but If he were a genius, he'd have us all convinced.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's Cheney who has the real power and influence... Bush is a simple man. Not a moron, but weak. Which is why he's been a disaster on every level.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

he's a sociopath. some of us here have been saying that for years.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think Bush is smart but the Texas drawl makes him seem dumb. Bush's problem is that he hides behind his advisors and can't form an opinion of his own. It has been said that if you met bush in a bar for a few drinks that he is the nicest guy, but put him on the spot to answer a tough question and he can't do it.

7. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

He's just a nice guy who does what he's told. Just like me!:)

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and that's how we're in this mess. voters thought they wanted the nice guy to have a beer with, but we needed the guy who actually had answers to problems.

9. Queso macrumors G4

Going by his press appearances and constant gaffes I would say Bush isn't clever by any means, but he's easily manipulated by those around him which is where the conspiracy comes in. IMO the evil geniuses of the tale are Karl Rove, Dick Cheney and maybe even Donald Rumsfeld still chipping in by proxy. Whenever someone outside the White House criticises a policy Bush has been manipulated into backing, the cabal whisper into his ear how he was right to suggest the policy in the first place, thereby ensuring that he sticks to his guns.

Not that I view him as some innocent simpleton. If he strongly disagreed with the policies being put forward I'm sure he would have shown signs of it by now. It's just his own agenda is somewhat amplified by the will of those around him.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is true. Simple doesn't necessary equate to stupid. The problem with Bush, as I see it, is that he tends to view people and the world in binary terms. We hear this over and over again in his statements. This is why I believe he also prizes loyalty above all else -- you can either be for him or against him, no in-between. Any leader who takes this view is going to build a bubble of yes-men around him, which is exactly what has happened to Bush.

Years ago I heard the line that a president-elect better have done all of their best thinking before they're sworn in, because once they get to Washington, they won't the time. There's little in Bush's personal history to suggest that he ever did much original thinking before he was elected. He brought an intellectual deficit into the presidency -- which again, is not the same think as lacking intelligence.

11. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

You seem to suggest though that he is not up to the intellectual standards the presidency demands. That's why by relative comparison, I say he's a dolt. I expect the president of the US to smarter than, say, me.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Keep in mind, Bush isn't really a Texan. He's a blue-blood from a very prominent and wealthy New England family. These people teach their children charm and self-confidence from the cradle through prep school to the ivy league. That's one of the reasons why these families mint so many successful politicians.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I believe it's more a matter of temperament than intelligence. We've had some good presidents who were hardly intellectual powerhouses and some poor ones who were obviously quite smart. The president's job isn't about knowing everything. It's about surrounding yourself with good people and listening to them, whether they agree with you or each other or not. FDR is perfect example a president who really understood this principle. He actually encouraged dissent among his cabinet members. He wanted to hear all sides, and to know which arguments stood up to scrutiny. I can't imagine Bush doing that -- and look where it got him (and us).

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think there are a lot of kinds of intellegence, and intellectual curiousity/critical thinking is one that Bush seems seriously to lack. Obviously, he's not a "moron" in a technical sense:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron_(psychology)

He's probably smarter in many ways than the average person, but his intellect is certainly unimpressive for a Yale/Harvard man, let alone President.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Smart, politically savvy person that you happen to disagree with.

16. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

He must be more smart and savvy than any other person who has held the office. Much of the world now despises America largely because of his administration, the budget surplus has evaporated and doesn't look to come back anytime soon, his approval ratings are in the dismal low 30s/upper 20s - just how brilliant do you have to be?

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

bush smart and politically savvy? ha! from here:

18. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Well, I'll give you credit... sticking with him to the very end.

I suppose ignorance is bliss for you.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A legacy Yale man and hardly a scholar.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Intellectual capacity has little relationship to whether you're a twat or not. He's an ideologically-driven twat and a war criminal to boot. I have seen little evidence of brainpower or independent thinking.

21. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

He is a moron, however many in his administration are evil genuises (Cheney, Rove, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld while he was there). These were the people who pressured the CIA to dig up dirt on Saddam to start a war. And when they couldn't find anything new that was threatening, they made claims that things Hussein had done in the 80s were still being done today, which was obviously false.
    I consider him to be a thick-headed puppet in the evil doings of Cheney. Don't get me wrong, I hate Bush as much as the next guy, but seeing that he seems to be oblivious to most happenings in the world, there's just no way he is an evil genius.

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'm not "sticking with him" as you describe. It's a fact that he's smarter than the neo-libs portray him. He may not be as glib in front of a microphone as some are, but that doesn't mean he's stupid nor does having a position that's completely the opposite of someone else make him stupid.

The only thing that makes me grateful for Bush is that he prevented the alternatives from assuming the office.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Any evidence for this claim? And who or what are "neo-libs"?
    I really do not follow your thinking here. Please explain: do you really think the world - or the USA - would be worse off with one of "the alternatives" in power? How is this possible? Would "the alternatives" have started more illegal wars, been responsible for more than half a million deaths, have made your country more despised, have done less for the environment, have made more of a hash of the economy, have been more in hock to vested interests in the pursuit of foreign and domestic policy, have made the country - and the world as a whole - less safe and less stable, have brought the office of President into greater disrepute?

24. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I will accept many of those critiques but I don't see anything wrong with the economy. The stock market is at an all time high; interest rates are still very reasonable; inflation has been kept under control despite rising gas prices; the job market is doing well. I don't give credit to George for the economy because I think the president has minimal effect on it, but I can't say that he has made a hash of the economy either. I am no economist but I really don't see how the economy is bad right now.

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

he may not be stupid but he's certainly proven to be pig-headed, a bungler, and extremely unlucky