Bush goes to Israel

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JW8725, Jan 9, 2008.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Took him long enough to visit the region? Now with just months left before his sorry Presidency comes to an end he's gone over to broker a deal.

He seems very comfortable and happy there. I guess it would be a great place for him to live in exile and fight extradition after the dust settles and he is tried for war-crimes in the future?

Or are ex-presidents immune from that kind of thing?

2. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

I bet he has no idea whatsoever as to where Israel is.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nothing is likely to come of this tour. Too little too late, Mr. Bush.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Bush's priority is legacy salvaging, he wants to be judged by history and history is less than amused.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Short of an actual legacy, he wants to be able to say, "Well, I tried!"

He's like the college freshman who forgets he has a final exam coming up until the night before.

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

So, is going to Israel a cram-session or more of a study group?

7. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Hope he had fun there. lol. I wonder if he can now point out Israel on the map?

8. toontra macrumors 6502

Going there now only underlines how little he's done for the area in the last seven years. He should have stayed at home and spared everyone this degrading spectacle of gesture politics.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is this his comedy tour or something? Sorry George- no one's laughing.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Watch him put together a nice peace proposal between Israel and Palestine before his term is up. :)

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

If he manages to do that, I'm stocking up on water and canned food because the apocalypse is just around the corner. ;)

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Given those choices, I'd have to go with cram-session, though that does imply a major effort at the last minute instead of a half-hearted one.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Has any president been able to do that.

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The muslims hate him on the whole and contrary to what much of the media claims, the Israelis on the whole aren't any fonder of Mr Bush.

15. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I honestly hope I'm wrong--I would like nothing more than to see peace in the Middle East--but this post makes one thing unhappily clear: there is a vast chasm that separates those of us in the reality-based community (fact-oriented) and those in the faith-based community (truthiness). I don't see any reason, given his track record, for anyone to believe that Bush can bring about peace in a region that he continues to keep at a boil, but then again, I'm one of those liberal elites about which I've heard so many horrible things.

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The Israelis love the US although they've liked some presidents more than others. I've never heard anything but good things about their relationship with the current administration other than the usual public posturing when we have to say something nice about the Palestinians.

Radical Islam hates everyone that thinks differently than they do, so there's no one that can do anything about that. The only reason that some sort of peace can be worked out is Arafat is out of the way now and more reasonable people are now in leadership positions.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

More reasonable, maybe, but in no way representative. It would indeed be surprising if the compliant Fatah-leaning regime put into power by an American-backed coup was not "more reasonable". Whether they speak for a meaningful part of Palestine is another question.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He is actually more popular in Israel than he is in his own country, though that's not really saying very much.

The real barrier to progress now is the weakness of both the Israeli and Palestinian political leadership. Neither have the political elbow-room required to make significant deals. Bush certainly can't cure this problem with one visit. To have any chance at all (and slim at that), he'd had to have been engaged over a period of years.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A what?

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Did Fatah win the Palestinian election? I didn't think so. Such controversion of the democratic process may be justly described as a coup d'êtat. This was actively supported and encouraged by the US (as well as Europe and Israel). Hence my comment.

21. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I was watching it live this morning. Gawd was it painful. He made the president of the palestinian group repeat his entire speech and remarked about how people comment on his own lack of ability to speak the English language to nervous laughter...

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

All three of the parties involved speak perfect English. Translators should be used for the broadcasts to their respective peoples.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Bush and speak perfect English in the same sentence? What have you been smoking?

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Pardon? The election was in Gaza. Hamas won, and proceeded to exterminate their political opposition there. Other than that what "coup" do you speak of, and how precisely was it supported or encouraged by the US?

25. toontra macrumors 6502

Another galling coincidence - Blair sold the Iraq war at home partly on the basis that supporting the US War on Terror would be repaid by Bush vigorously pursuing a middle-east resolution. Hah!

Then when Blair resigned as PM he said he would be using his time to seek a resolution to the middle-east conflict. Today we hear he has taken a city job at £500,000 a year. Hah!