Bush & Hitler

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Nov 17, 2007.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I found something that you might find extremely disturbing.

The following is a direct quote from a speech that President Bush gave after 9/11:

"An evil exists that threatens every man, woman and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland"

The following is a direct quote from a speech Adolf Hitler gave when announcing the Gestapo to the people of Nazi Germany:

"An evil exists that threatens every man, woman and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland"

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

God, what our president could have been, had he been twice as smart.

Things like this, make me grateful for his idiocy.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I would really like to see some proof. You may think he is an incompetent idiot who has done a whole lot of bad things, but he has not attempted to systematically wipe out an entire race, take over the world, and in doing both plunging the entire globe into a World War. So, stop it.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Not so fast there Ham - we've got another year to go. ;)

And - about the comparison. It could be pure coincidence. I mean, what was that probability and infinite time statement. "Give enough monkeys typewriters and infinite time - and eventually, they'll produce Shakespear."

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Hitler and Bush are NOT in the same league.
    Bush's actions are not close to what Hitler did.

6. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I am NOT comparing the two. I just thought it weird that they both said the same thing.

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Hm, I couldn't find anything that convincingly pointed either way to him saying that. I can believe he would say it. I mean, he is either a spectacular idiot or spectacularly good at playing an idiot. Personally I think an incompetent leader of the Roman empire would fit better. :D

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Sorry...it was bugging me:eek:
    Ok, calm down. The OP did not write anything close to what you've accused him of. He's just trying to point out an interesting coincidence. Try to keep it civil (even if it is PSRI):)

I've forgotten my Roman history a little; was it Nero who did that?

For the historical coincidence, I think it's fair to say that they are both taken out of context. I'm sure if we look hard enough, we can find quite a few oddities in the speeches of leaders.

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

:)

I realized I spelt it wrong the instant after I had typed it (didn't look right), and corrected it... But then went back to the wrong spelling, because I KNEW it would irk someone! My old grade-school (#*$# of an english teacher came to mind, and I had to exact my revenge. :D

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

:eek:

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:p Well, you've found him.:p

Now, have you checked to make sure that your grade school teacher never gave that speech from the OP? She might have been Hitler in disguise:eek::p

12. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Come to think of it - my fellow classmates and I seemed to feel she WAS a Nazi at times. We could have sworn it. There was a particualrly mean teacher in my school known as "Fem-Nazi" - but I'm not sure it's the same one. Then again - could have been all that propaganda brain-washing clouding my memory. ;) :D

13. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

You guys want proof? Here is your proof!

"An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland."
    -- Adolf Hitler, proposing the creation of the Gestapo in Nazi Germany
    http://www.oilempire.us/homeland.html

Our liberties were among the first to suffer. "Homeland" security (a name eerily evocative of mid-twentieth century European fascism), with provisions to violate personal freedoms to an extent never dreamed of a few years ago, was passed almost without question. All Bush had to do was to proclaim, "An Evil exists that threatens every man, woman and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." Sounds reasonable, right? The only problem is, those words were spoken by Adolf Hitler. Bush simply paraphrases.

(Unfair? We shouldn't compare him to Hitler? Everyone is so worried about offending someone by equating Bush or his people to Nazis, but that worry is just political correctness; the fact is, the Bush administration has been acting in ways that are frighteningly similar to tactics taken by the Nazis. We ignore the historical parallel at our peril. I do not suggest that Bush is another Hitler, but use of the same tactics suggests the further experience of other unpleasant qualities from that time.)

http://blogd.com/911comm2003.html

14. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

^^^ You're being sarcastic, right? I don't see Bush being quoted as saying the same thing as Hitler in a speech.

Calling someone Hitler renders the rest of the argument senseless.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you don't have a reputable source for that we're going to have to disregard it as bull. Did you by chance get that information from a chain e-mail?

Please don't let it happen again.

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Just because you are someone who does not recognize the authoritarian rule of the administration, does not mean it has been lost on the vast majority of Americans. It is you who are in the minority, even though some may not draw a direct correlation between Bush and Hitler. In fact, I do not. I think Hitler was much smarter.

17. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i don't think he is quite as bad as hitler......sortof getting close....:cool:lol

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, you can't compare Bush to Hitler....

Hitler, despite everything else, was actually smart :D

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Agreed. Barring direct quotes from those two speeches, from separate, reliable sources, I'm gonna put this down as another urban legend.

20. calculus Guest

calculus

Which is why things ended so well for him ...:rolleyes:

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I didn't say he was smarter than the allies ;)

But no idiot could've pulled off what he did. The world would've been much better off if Hitler was as dumb as Dubya

22. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

And Hitler was actually a good orator. He knew how to get people behind him.

23. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make an unpopular statement, despite the fact that I despise this administration as much as the next person: I don't think that Bush is an idiot. If you've ever given speeches, lectures or presentations, you know how difficult it is to stay "on message" and if you've ever given a deposition, you know how much thought goes on in your head about exactly what to say and how to say it. Bush, like his father, is not friends with the English language. Yet this does not not mean he is an idiot, just that he is not articulate. If he was truly an idiot, he would have not been able to check himself and by now would have inadvertently revealed State secrets or something self-incriminating. It is too easy to say that this man is an idiot when the issue is far more complex than this.

I don't think he is in the same league as Hitler, yet I do think he is using the same tactics of nationalism to rally a nation behind him. To follow this historical lesson to one possible outcome, a democrat is elected in 2008 and neo-con ideology is thwarted. The problems exacerbated by Bush in the middle East cause the US to lose its position in the World, and the neo-cons use this to rally the nation to seek revenge and gain this prestige back. I hope I am wrong about this, but without the revelation of a MAJOR right-wing hypocracy (the relatively major ones haven't yet done the job), this ideology will continue to have well-intentioned, patriotic Americans duped into allowing Fox News do their thinking for them.

24. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I do think Bush is an idiot. I'm an idiot, and I can speak publicly better than he can. Speaking to an audience of 100 people is no more stressful in my eyes, than a 100 million. And I know for a fact you can be in high-ranking positions by your association. Look at the business world - it happens a lot, some CEO or CFOs moron son or daughter gets a fat paycheck and great position - in spite of being completely inept at it. Others pull their weight and look the other way, to keep themselves employed. Why should it be any different in the political world?

Daddy was in office before him, family has money, power and most importantly, connections. That got him there, and the real brains behind it use him as a puppet to push their own agendas. I mean, wasn't W even a Skull and Bones man? I think that could even be connection enough to get a Muslim into office if they wanted it.

25. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

See, it isn't just his inability to give public speeches that makes me think he is a little slow. Almost all his decisions are questionable. A great one that is brought up a lot (admittedly) is how he sat there after finding out the US was under attack during 9/11. I mean, if someone comes in and tells you the US is under attack and doesn't tell you the nature of the attack you get up leave the classroom and find out what is going on.

Bush was also a pretty horrible businessman, getting bailed out every time.