Bush is gone, but he's still claiming "executive privilege"??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I can't express what I'm feeling about this.

Is it possible to be dumbfounded and not really surprised at the same time?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well, ex presidents do have alot of priviledges. They can get daily CIA intelligence briefings if they choose. I also think they get secret service protection for life.

Edit: just finished reading it. WTF is this ********!?

This is dirty politics at its finest.

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Yes it is, because you are not the only one..

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its obvious he's hiding things, I just cant wait to hear the scope of them. Unfortunately I don't think Obama wants to go after him.

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Nope, 10 years... But since Bush really pissed a lot of ppl off, they will make the exception more than likely

Link to article.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

[​IMG]

Thanks.

What other things do they get, besides the title "Mr. President"

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pension Info

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It sounds like he is using executive priviege over times while he was in office. AKA he still has the right to use those on any matter dealing with him during his time in office.

This is to prevent things like what congress and lets face it the dems are going to want to do the 2nd he is gone. Same would be true in the revise was true (bush being a Dem and the rep having control) it all politics.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes before Republicans who are supporting Bush's claims to executive privilege are calling for top Obama staffers to testify before Congress.

I'm sure we all know that they will have no problem being for executive privilege before they are against it.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So the president has the ability to cover his ass basically? Even if he's done illegal things hes keeping us from knowing about them.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

pretty much. that and prevent his dirty laundry from being aired.
    I bet if you dig in to lets say Clinton presidency I bet you could find lot of questionable things that we the public never knew about and executive privileges covered it up. Same goes for after Obama leaves office.

Bush is also taking a lot of heat because he was had the lowest disapproval on record so people just want to dig up dirt about him. Weather or not what he did was legal.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We already know that he violated international law. He also broke the law with his domestic surveillance BS. Do you really think he did nothing else?

BTW- the Clinton presidency was raked over the coals. But Clinton isn't the point- Bush is. Quit deflecting. It's not OK if someone else did it too.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and the end of the day it will fall under executive privilege and nothing really can be done after that. instead this will turn into a huge waste of time and money like the entire impeachment process of Clinton.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its not impeachment that could happen. Assuming he doesnt weasel his way out he or more likely whoever the scapegoat will be could actually serve jailtime.

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Wait, doesn't executive privilege exist so that presidents can receive candid advice from their advisers, so that advisers don't have to hold their tongue around the president? How does it matter whatsoever if Bush gets candid advice anymore? I'm sure that the courts will force Rove to obey the subpoenas.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No, he won't. And it wouldn't be a waste of time. They got nothing on Clinton but a lie about a BJ. We already know of some illegal things Bush did. How much more do you think there is?

17. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I wonder...if Rove basically thumbs his nose at Conyers, does Conyers have the cajones to call for him to be forcibly brought before Congress?

18. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The last 2 people will be that lifetime security detail is Fmr. Pres. Bill Clinton and Fmr Sen. / Sec. of State (Currently) Hillary Clinton

Info. and Look @ 3rd point of Authorization

The only people that can change US Secret Service detail term is Congress not Fmr Presidents....

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So let's dig into Clinton's presidency too. The question isn't a partisan one. The question is whether Americans are better served if a POTUS is permitted to "prevent his dirty laundry from being aired". If there's effin dirty laundry (aka, criminal behavior), let's have it aired; I don't care what party **** the bed.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That is what it looks like to me too. and if the courts have decided that he could use executive priveliege while in office as long as he is only trying to use it now for things that happened while he was in office there shouldn't be a problem with it.

21. Queso macrumors G4

It's not up to Obama, it's up to Pelosi.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Democrats havent held Bush and his team of draft dodgers accountable for anything they have done. They with their tail between their legs seem to have given Bush everything he and the republicans wanted that past 8 years including a false war, a destroyed economy and no accountability for anyone in govt.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What I meant is he's already said he has not interest in dealing with the past, and hopefully doesnt pressure the dems to stand down.

24. iAthena macrumors regular

Would a couple hours of, "I don't recollect that conversation," really serve any purpose? There's no one in congress that's going to force Rove to discuss private conversations he held with the President regardless of what they say or do.

25. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, as I recall, a number of Watergate white collar crooks who "couldn't recall that conversation" went to jail.