Bush loses ground with military families

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Dec 9, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Bush loses ground with military families

[​IMG]

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

my aunt (who lives in california) is gunna love this, thanks :D

good god its looking terrible now isn't it?

3. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I'm surprised more people aren't posting here, but maybe I'm already stating the obvious.

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

When I read the article yesterday, I was going to post "and in other news, the sun is predicted to rise tomorrow"

But I was really surprised to see 40% of military families approve of it.

And what is the situation in Iraq that was worth it? WMDs? Terrorists? Saddam? Oil? Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but I don't believe people know.

5. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I'm not, I'm actually surprised it's that low. You would assume that those who are willing to go to war and their families would be supporting it at a much higher level. If not actually believing in it, at least wanting to believe in it. That was what I got from most of them at the beginning, though some still had questions. Lately that seems to be changing more and more, along with the rest of America. They still want to believe they're fighting for a good reason, I don't blame them, but it's hard not to wonder why we're really there and if it's even doing any good to stay. Especially when you're loved one is in harms way.

Even worse if something has already happened to them. They can try to justify it or they can be angry at the mistakes and start to question things. More and more are choosing to question and think we should leave.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Actually, I think you are. I have three relatives in the military, and you know at least what I think about the war. The rest of my family is no different.

7. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

The reason so many are not supporting him is because so many have been over there and seen the mess we are in. Very few military guys are happy about the war. Some see it as necessary, but no one is happy about it.

8. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Used to be the immediate family to those I knew over there (friends and family) were generally more pro war. A few exceptions, but most willing, or at least wanting, to support it. That's changed for the most part, most of them now being the most vocal against it. Still a few holdouts though. No one will outright defend everything, but some still try to justify it, and again, I can't say I really blame them.

That's a good way to put it.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny thing is, EVERYONE Swarmlord and 'Rat talk to tells them that the military supports this war. No end of emails and anecdotal evidence that bolsters their viewpoint, and is used as proof of both how wrong liberals are, and how theliberalmedia simply refuses to report the "truth".

10. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

My little brother is in Iraq right now, and I couldn't be more against the war if I tried. Same goes for the rest of my family.

Then again, we're a bunch of tree hugging Democrats, so there you go.

11. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Ditto for me. My best friend and cousin have been over there. They couldn't get out of the military fast enough. In the beginning everyone (except my best friend's wife) supported the war because they thought it equaled supporting the troops. After years of seeing the way the administration and the war supporters actually treated the soldiers (lack of planning, armor, equipment, healthcare) that support began to waver. Soldiers themselves questioning why we're there and if we're doing any good. I remember his wife yelling at Bush on the TV, asking what Iraq had to do with 9/11 and where those WMDs were, and suddenly I became interested in politics. Some people still don't get that some of us are against the war because we support the troops. Because that's more than just a bumper sticker.

I was sure we'd get someone in here pulling some jingoistic rhetoric about how we want to lose the war like they have in other threads, and they've attempted to spin everything else, so why not this?

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

isn't this just a classic straw man argument?

13. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Being ex-military myself and having gotten out as soon as I could to avoid repeated trips to the desert, I would have to agree that there are a lot of guys that can't get out fast enough.

Supporting the troops has three different facets. The first is actual support of the troops by sending care packages, letters of support and encouragement, giving military discounts, etc. Things that will help the soldiers personally. The second facet is working through our government to ensure our country gives the troops what they need to do the job. Calling/writing your representatives to make sure the troops have proper equipment, access to good medical care, post deployment support, and to make sure the proper steps are taken in the war to reduce the number of casualties. We can't personally do these things to support our soldiers, but we can make sure our representatives know that we want them to treat our soldiers properly. This facet also includes voting fo representatives that will best serve the troops. The final facet is the support that our entire country is giving the troops. A general overall feeling that no matter where our goverment might send the troops, the troops themselves are good people, fighting for our country with honor, and deserving of respect. This last facet might seem obvious, but our history shows that they were not always given such support. And it really means a lot.

14. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Considering in another thread, actually several of them over the last few years, some have literally come right out and said we want to lose and don't support the troops when we post such thing, not really, no.

Thank you for your service.