Bush, Obama, McCain... negative biographical footnotes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    So, this was an old email that's been forwarded around ad infinitum. I'm curious though.

While the e-mail makes many FAIR points, many of its points are predictable UNFAIR (like fallout from 9/11, unless you blame the Bush administration for not reading the information passed to it and keeping on top of Osama Bin Laden), and others somewhat dubious. If you were being objective, what items in the list would remain (as "reasonable") after you were done?
    Then, what "negative firsts" do you think an Obama or McCain would bring into office? Sarah Palin has charged that electing Barack Obama would "diminish the prestige of the Presidency of the U.S.". Why might she be right (because this is about "negatives", we don't care why she might be wrong)? Why might McCain be even more inclined to diminish that "prestige"? No imaginary "predictive" entries, please. :)

Bring on the bad news! What negative FIRSTS are we in for? Was the first list too hard on Bush? What's your opinion?

~ CB

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Obama:

First black President.
    First President to pal around with terrorists. :eek:

McCain:

Told more lies in final 30 days of campaign than all other Presidential candidates combined.

3. spikespike macrumors member

1. I'm sure Bush and other Presidents have done coke.
    2. Thats such a ridiculously specific catagory.
    3. What was the man supposed to do?

"Because I'm such a feminist, I've decided to withdraw from the race so Hilary can win."

That doesn't make sense.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

McCain The first presidential candidate to have by my own admission made propaganda broadcasts on behalf of an enemy in time of war.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Does anyone have a clip of Obama saying motherf*cker. Because I have to hear it to believe it :D

6. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

lol. Well, its a list of negatives... they're certainly not sympathetic, and they don't have to make absolute sense, just enough to paint a clear picture, make the hit and sound convincing. Many on the Bush list are very specific to him. That's not a dis qualifier.
    Well, sure... it makes ME laugh, but I'm not gonna supply firepower to anyone more than noting its there. He's actually speaking AS someone else he's talking to... someone with a very colorful tongue. ;) That line alone disqualifies the audiobook from being played to children, though... I wonder how many people know ahead of time. :p In the foreward to the book, I think he acknowledges that many passages are somewhat "unfortunate" now in retrospect. You can't live your life as if you'll run for President in a few years I guess.

I suppose that's a negative in some circles. :)
    Somewhat unprovable I think. I'm not sure he gets credit for repeating the same lies, either. He's not that creative. :)

~ CB

7. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

John McCain:

I am the first president to be 1 year older and look 15 years older than the previous record holder in the Oldest Ever category.

I am the first president in U.S. history to refer to my fellow Americans as my fellow prisoners.

I am the first president who says "my friends" more often than "and", "the" and "of".

I am the first president to wear Depends.

I am the first president to release a negative attack ad that attacks an opponent for releasing negative attack ads when we both agreed not to use negative attack ads at all, without detecting the irony.

I am the first president with a goiter on my face.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I dont understand the womans rights one. Was he supposed to step aside because shes a woman? isnt that sexism?

9. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Barack Obama:
    * In my campaign for Presidency, I raised more money than any other candidate in U.S. history, rejected public funding limitations, and subsequently spent more money than any campaign in history, outspending my opponents before and after the party primaries often by a factor of three to one.

* While not a first, I was elected President before I'd even completed my first term as a junior senator of Illinois.

* Many of the candidates on my party short list for Vice President publicly declined/renounced that they would even consider accepting that role in my administration. I ended up choosing a politician who was almost a mirror image of my opponent in age and experience, who publicly disagreed with my policy statements, and had only previously offered as compliment that I was "clean and articulate".

No... its irony. You champion women's rights, and the first REAL chance a woman has to be President, and you clobber her, gasping across the finish line in almost a photo finish. It would be the same irony for Clinton, given their background on civil rights, and Bill Clinton's status as "first black president". It doesn't mean anyone should "step aside", but its a tough pill to swallow nonetheless.

~ CB

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Awww...PM it to me at least :D I won't use it for evil, I want this guy to be elected ;)